PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable router base question

Jason White
01-12-2008, 9:13 AM
Does anybody know if the older Porter Cable 690 router motors will fit in the newer plunge bases designed for the 890 series routers? I have a couple of 690's with fixed bases, but no plunge base.

Here a picture of the base I'm talking about...

John Newell
01-12-2008, 11:28 AM
PC sells a plunge base specifically for the 690 series so, no, I would think the 890-series plunge base would not work.

Jason White
01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm aware that a 690 plunge-base exists.

However, I like the 890 base better and am wondering whether anybody has actually tried mounting a 690 motor in it successfully.

Jason

PC sells a plunge base specifically for the 690 series so, no, I would think the 890-series plunge base would not work.

glenn bradley
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't say this is conclusive beyond a doubt but, Woodpecker uses the same adapter in their PRL lift for the 690 and the 890. Jess-Em does the same so ???

Greg Heppeard
01-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Why not go to your local woodworking store and try it out on the display model?

John Newell
01-12-2008, 3:19 PM
I'm aware that a 690 plunge-base exists.

However, I like the 890 base better and am wondering whether anybody has actually tried mounting a 690 motor in it successfully.

Jason

Looks like the answer is yes, based on a reply elsewhere.

Jason, what do you like better about the 890 base?

Jason White
01-12-2008, 5:46 PM
It's got through-the-column dust collection just like a couple of the highly-regarded DeWalt routers (same company). If I didn't care about the dust, I'd opt for the standard plunge base as it's a well-built unit.

Jason

Jason White
01-12-2008, 5:47 PM
Which reply are you referring to?

Jason

Curt Harms
01-12-2008, 6:45 PM
The 690 plunge base is not a gem. Stiff and prone to binding. My 8529 was sorta the same way but lubing the plunge posts with dry lube helped a lot and didn't cause problems with the plunge lock. I have a fixed base 890 and would buy one of the new bases if I could find one for a good price.

HTH

Curt

Jason White
01-13-2008, 1:27 PM
So has anybody actually tried to put a 690 router into this new base?

I'm trying to ascertain whether this might actually work from somebody who's tried it.

Jason

John Newell
01-13-2008, 7:47 PM
As a possible further complication, there seem to be two different versions of the 890 base, based on pictures I found searching online vendors. Does anyone know how, or if, they are actually different?

pat warner
01-13-2008, 8:07 PM
Said casting will accept the smaller 690 motors but don't expect the same perfomance of an 890.

Curt Harms
01-14-2008, 6:25 AM
As a possible further complication, there seem to be two different versions of the 890 base, based on pictures I found searching online vendors. Does anyone know how, or if, they are actually different?

The original 890 plunge base was reputed to not be a real smooth plunger. I tried the older style plunge base in a store and it seemed fine. The newer one has through-the-column dust collection.

Greg Hines, MD
02-04-2008, 2:19 PM
Jason,

I have one of each, but had never tried to put the 690 motor into the 890 plunge base. They do not fit together. The studs on the outside of the 690 motor do not dovetail into the 890 base like they do in the 690 base. That is a strange oversight by Porter-Cable, but I suspect that if you were to file or grind off the offending studs, you would not be able to use it in the 690 base that you have already.

That said, the dual-base 890 that I have is great. The fixed base lives in my router table, and with the addition of two extra holes, I can adjust the height of the bit from above the table. The only real problem that I have is that I use a Rousseau phenolic insert plate, and the insert rings fit tightly into the opening around the bit, which makes it impossible to change the bits above the table. There are some inserts are easier to remove, which would allow you to change the bits from above the table as well. When I need to replace the plate, I will go with one that the inserts come out easier, perhaps one of the Incra magna-lock plates. I am also not sure about how the plastic dust shield for the 890 would work with that, because if you cannot remove the shield, you cannot get the 2nd wrench onto the collet nut, and so far, I have been unimpressed with the shaft lock. I may try to rig up some kind of plunger to make it work better.

All that said, I highly recommend the 890 if you are looking for a 2nd router, which is exactly why I got it.

Greg Hines, MD

John Newell
02-04-2008, 2:49 PM
I bought an 8931 base recently - it doesn't fit, but I was able to modify it to fit. Fit-wise, it came out well, and the plunge on the latest type 3 base seems pretty nice to me. Having chip collection is a plus, too. Power-wise, the 690 is sort of underwhelming as a plunge router, so I may wind up selling the modified base. Probably the easiest thing to do is just buy an 890, or what ever other router you prefer, as a combo kit from the start, though! :D