PDA

View Full Version : Never ending health problems and update

Ken Salisbury
01-12-2008, 2:19 AM
I guess it is time for me to update the membership on my health condition. We have had such a large influx of new members lately that many are not aware of what I have gone through for the last 2 ½ years.

In June of 2005 I was diagnosed with lung cancer (fairly large tumors in both lungs). I was given 3 to 7 months to live and was quite devastated. My Oncologist put me on heavy chemo therapy including the relatively new drug called Avastin(not yet covered by Medicare or other insurance and very expensive). During the 7 months of this treatment I lost 30 pounds and since I only weighed 160 to start with you can imagine I looked like a walking skeleton. However the tumors had been reduce to almost nothing. Since that time I have gained the 30 lost pounds back.

Then over a year and a half had gone by and I had a stroke. This made by left side fairly useless. Six months after that I was diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm close to a size where a rupture could occur however it was located where stints were not an option. The entire organ would have to be replace. My Vascular Surgery said that there would be a 10% chance I would not make it though the operation and we should continue to monitor it’s size. I had a scan last week and the aneurysm has not increased in size.

That all seems to be good news - however my last PET test revealed that lung tumors have resurfaced and I started back on a chemo therapy regiment yesterday.

I have been unable to continue woodworking since by Oncologist told me that the almost 60 years of breathing all the saw dust (especially all the exotic stuff) probably had as much to do with the lung cancer as my 55 years of smoking did. Of course that is debatable but does sound reasonable. It was really hard for me to quit and it look quite some time. But now I am smoke free and have been for 6 months.

Having to quit woodworking was hard to take since it has been by passion for near 60 years. I was quite curtailed with all my other activities as well during this long recovery period. Chemo therapy is certainly no picnic, especially for such a long period and what effect it has on your body not counting the effects of the lung cancer itself and the breathing problems it creates.

The Cancer Institute here is a remarkable place and they do wonders. Hopefully the treatments they have me on now will stifle the present tumors. They have kept me alive for more than 2 years from the initial prognosis so why not a little longer.

I was the initial moderator of Sawmill Creek when it was formed and still hold that position . Since we have grown and added many more moderators (and darn good ones at that) the job has not been a problem lately.

This is a long winded post, but I have been getting PM’s and e-mails lately from my long term friends here wanting a health update so I thought it would be better to post here than answering all of them.

Glenn Clabo
01-12-2008, 7:46 AM
Well Coach...
You are the perfect example of ... "You must overcome resistance with persistance."
You have been and continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jason Roehl
01-12-2008, 7:57 AM
Well, we're still pulling for you here, Ken. Know that our prayers are with you. I'm glad to hear you kicked "the habit", too, I hope that alone allows your body to respond better to all the treatment.

Keith Starosta
01-12-2008, 8:18 AM
Howdy, Mr. Ken!!! You are an inspiration. Thoughts and prayers to you from me and my family.

- Keith

Al Navas
01-12-2008, 8:48 AM
Ken,

Our thoughts and prayers have been with you and your loved ones.

John Shuk
01-12-2008, 9:00 AM
Ken,
You have our prayers.

Al Willits
01-12-2008, 9:43 AM
Not much I can say that will help ya, but having spent some time in the oncology ward, I'll say to keep a positive attitude, its sometimes the only thing that keeps you going.
Its a hell of a battle your fighting and I wish you well.

Al

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks so much for the update, Ken. May the collective thoughts of our community bring you a smile and perhaps some healing! We know you'll keep fighting this no matter what! And that counts for a lot.

Rob Will
01-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Best wishes Ken and congrats on kicking the smoking. I lost my best friend to smoking and I know how hard that can be.

Rob

Dave Ray
01-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Ken, thanks for the update. As some one else said you are an inspiration to us all. Keep up the good fight. You are remembered in prayers daily.

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Ken,
Al our thoughts and prayers.Its been 3 years for me December 27.I quit when my son was born.I hope you pull through,keep fighting and never give up.
Marc

Greg Heppeard
01-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Ken,

I've thought of you often, but haven't talked with you nearly enough. I have only known you since the conception process of the Turn-A-Thons, but consider you my friend. Remember, you are loved and admired by countless people in your life. Keep up the good fight, we need you.

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Ken,

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Keep up the fight Coach!

Christopher Kanda
01-12-2008, 2:15 PM
Ken, good luck in your recovery, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2008, 4:11 PM
Keep up the fight my friend!!!! Thanks for the update and you will remain in my prayers.

Bruce Page
01-12-2008, 5:05 PM
El Supreme Bud Man!
Thanks for the update and hang tough, you have our prayers!

Tim Morton
01-12-2008, 6:25 PM
Keep up the fight sir!!! We are all in your corner!!!

Jim O'Dell
01-12-2008, 6:30 PM
I too thank you for the update. I've wondered about you often, but never wrote. Sorry to hear of the slight replapse, but the way you fight, it too shall be dealt with. Continued prayers from the O'Dell household! Jim.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-12-2008, 6:47 PM
Ken,
You will continue to be in my prayers. You can count on the Creek for support during these trying times.

Fred Voorhees
01-12-2008, 7:00 PM
Best wishes for good health returning Ken. You are an inspiration to many of us with the good fight!

Mike Henderson
01-12-2008, 9:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your health problems, Ken. I hope the new treatments work well and you're back to good health soon.

Mike

Roy Wall
01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Keep up the fight sir!!! We are all in your corner!!!

Ditto that one Ken -- Stay tough my man!!

Phyllis Meyer
01-13-2008, 1:22 PM
Dear Ken,

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers! My mom had two separate lung cancers and after the first surgery, her doctor told her that living through the year was all he could give her. 22 years later she was still defying what all the doctors told her. I know that we are not as smart as the doctors, but they are also not as powerful as God!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)