PDA

View Full Version : Final Shop machine Purchases

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 1:56 AM
Well after about a year of messing around with the workshop I am finally ready for my final machine purchases.I need a Joiner,Planer and biscuit joiner.I have been thinking about going bran new instead of the craigslist fiasco.I got the home depot credit card last year when I bought my rigid table saw and recieved 10% off the saw.I was thinkin of having the wife get a card and having her pick up, The rigid 13" planer for 369.00,Rigid jointer for 399.00 and the ryobi biscuit joiner for 99.00.I also have 200.00 in gift cards.
So heres the math 867.00 total minus 10%=780.30 minus 200.00=
580.30 out of pocket for the three machines.Plus tax of course.
How does that sound?
Marc

Martin Shupe
01-12-2008, 2:57 AM
Marc,

You might rethink the biscuit joiner. It is a nice toy, but I bought one and rarely use it.

Biscuits do not add strength to edge joints, but they may help with alignment.

Also, go with an 8 inch jointer if you can afford it.

Ron Brese
01-12-2008, 9:03 AM
I have to agree with Martin about the 8" jointer. The capability upgrade as compared to the additional cost is well worth it. When you try to straighten stock for things like bed rails and long table top glue ups you'll be glad you have the longer bed. You can do these things in other ways it's just so much faster and easier with a long bed jointer. The extra 2" inches of width will save you a lot of ripping and gluing also. Overall the larger jointer is just a real time saver.

Ron

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Martin,
Thats why I went with the Ryobi.Its only $99 and I will be using it on occasion.Its nice to have if you need it.
Marc,

You might rethink the biscuit joiner. It is a nice toy, but I bought one and rarely use it.

Biscuits do not add strength to edge joints, but they may help with alignment.

Also, go with an 8 inch jointer if you can afford it.

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Ron,
The rigid 6 1/8 joiner is rated well and is reasonably priced.I am still a novice ,so I feel if I need a 8" later on,I could always upgrade.
I have to agree with Martin about the 8" jointer. The capability upgrade as compared to the additional cost is well worth it. When you try to straighten stock for things like bed rails and long table top glue ups you'll be glad you have the longer bed. You can do these things in other ways it's just so much faster and easier with a long bed jointer. The extra 2" inches of width will save you a lot of ripping and gluing also. Overall the larger jointer is just a real time saver.

Ron

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Martin,
Thats why I went with the Ryobi.Its only $99 and I will be using it on occasion.Its nice to have if you need it.

$99 is almost to the price point of the deluxe Kreg setup which, IMHO, will give you much more versatility. I use the pocket screw stuff every weekend practically, but only pull out the biscuit joiner about once every year and a half or so...

Add me to the 8" jointer recommendation...in the long term, it's a better investment.

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Dou you know what the price is for a 8"?
$99 is almost to the price point of the deluxe Kreg setup which, IMHO, will give you much more versatility. I use the pocket screw stuff every weekend practically, but only pull out the biscuit joiner about once every year and a half or so...

Add me to the 8" jointer recommendation...in the long term, it's a better investment.

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Dou you know what the price is for a 8"?

'Depends on the vendor. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a Ridgid 8" jointer, so you may need to consider acquiring that elsewhere from another vendor or pre-owned. Jointers are pretty simple machines, so you usually can have good luck with value tier manufacturers or with used machines. Grizzly has an 8" jointer for $839 shipped (http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-w-2-HP-Motor/G0586). If you keep your eye for a used 8" jointer, you should be able to acquire one in the $400-600 range, IMHO.

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32966

Heres the cheapest I can find.With the shipping it is out of my price range

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32966

Heres the cheapest I can find.With the shipping it is out of my price range

Now, that's one I would not suggest. :eek: Either wait for a used one, go with the 6" with the thought that you may find the need to upgrade later or wait and save for a larger machine. No biggie, but we are all pretty much trying to save you money in the long term since re-buying later will cost you more. Consider how long you might have to wait to save an additional $300-400 so you could order the Grizzly machine I linked to, for example. A few months? You can get a lot of work done with the planer and using other methods for straightening edges in the mean time. And once you do have the jointer, you'll be set for flattening stock up to 8" wide which covers you pretty good.

Marc Prudhomme
01-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Jim ,
are there ways of flattening cupped stock with the planer?

Now, that's one I would not suggest. :eek: Either wait for a used one, go with the 6" with the thought that you may find the need to upgrade later or wait and save for a larger machine. No biggie, but we are all pretty much trying to save you money in the long term since re-buying later will cost you more. Consider how long you might have to wait to save an additional $300-400 so you could order the Grizzly machine I linked to, for example. A few months? You can get a lot of work done with the planer and using other methods for straightening edges in the mean time. And once you do have the jointer, you'll be set for flattening stock up to 8" wide which covers you pretty good.

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Jim ,

Yes, there are techniques to flatten stock using a planer that usually involve a sled. It's a great method for extra wide stock or occasional use, although it's cumbersome if you have to do a lot of stock. You can also take care of minor cupping if you put the board through "wings down" (crown up) and take extremely light cuts to skim off material a little at a time. The cuts must be light so that the planer rollers don't flatten the material. This technique also only works well with the portable machines that use rubber rollers. Stationary machines with serrated metal rollers don't prefer very light cuts...they mark the wood.

Now, if that board also has a twist...you're hosed. Sled is the only way then with a planer and only if it's a slight twist. The jointer is the right tool.

My suggestion is to try to choose lumber with minimal problems like this, reduce to oversize project components first and then mill flat and true.

glenn bradley
01-12-2008, 1:25 PM
Jim ,

As Jim says this will get you by (its getting me by) while the 8" piggy bank fattens up: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58735

It is no substitute for the ease of simply walking up to a large jointer and running a board across it but it costs almost $1000 less ;-)

Come on piggy bank!

Dennis Kelly
01-12-2008, 8:46 PM
Hello Marc,
You have recieved great advice from all of these guys!
However, I own both the ridgid planer and 6" jointer and they have performed wonderfully for me! I have been woodworking for a year now and have faced no major problems with the 6" as opposed to the 8". In a few years, I will want to upgrade to an 8" jointer, but like you I didn't have the money at the time.
There is no doubt that an 8" jointer is more effective than the 6", I just wanted to let you know I have done very well without it so far.

Dennis

Marc Prudhomme
01-13-2008, 7:31 AM
Dennis,
Im with you buddy.The rigid tooling is really geared for the beginner woodworker.These machines are solid and inexpensive.With my full time job,my wife working diferant shifts,and a 3 year old to juggle,its taken me 1 year to finally finish up my work shop downstairs.When I finally start making projects I doubt very much I will be to upset that I have a 6" jointer as oposed to a 8".The depreciation of the Rigid tools are not that bad either ,so when I want to upgrade,I am sure that I can sell it on craigslist for a fair price.Then I can look at the money I lost as rental fee.

Hello Marc,
You have recieved great advice from all of these guys!
However, I own both the ridgid planer and 6" jointer and they have performed wonderfully for me! I have been woodworking for a year now and have faced no major problems with the 6" as opposed to the 8". In a few years, I will want to upgrade to an 8" jointer, but like you I didn't have the money at the time.
There is no doubt that an 8" jointer is more effective than the 6", I just wanted to let you know I have done very well without it so far.

Dennis

George Bregar
01-13-2008, 8:53 AM
Final Shop machine Purchases

"so I feel if I need a 8" later on,I could always upgrade."

Atta boy! ;)

Dave Lehnert
01-13-2008, 9:34 AM
I used a 4" for years. My Jet 6" seems like a dream. 8” would be better but then again so would a 12” It’s all about money. If I were buying today I would get an 8” but only because they have come way down in price in the last couple of years. Grizzly has on for a low as $695+ freight.

Alison Gray
01-14-2008, 8:19 PM
With regards to the planer. I would highly recommend the Dewalt DW735. It was recently recommended by Fine Woodworking Magazine as their choice for a bench top. They run $550 not on sale. But I picked up one on e-bay for about $350 and another $50 in shipping. It has 3 blades unlike the 2 in the Rigid and the infeed and outfeed snipe were much less.