PDA

View Full Version : marble problems resolved

Michael James Smith
01-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi again, I posted a thread last week about having problems with photos on black marble. I would like to thank everyone who replied, and thought some of you may be interested in the out come. For those of you who didn't view the thread, I was getting random frequent banding and photos with very poor detail. This is what we found out: After speaking with my sales rep. Steve Spaulding from laserpro, I determined that my 2 in. focal lense was not 2 inches away from my workpiece. It was closer to 2.25. The lense which I thought could only fit in one place was in fact in the wrong slot. My lense has been in the wrong position, and upside down since the very first time I took out the lense, which was about 7 months ago when I first got the machine. Being a newbie I didn't even realize I had put it back in the wrongslot. It wasn't fitting tight enough which explains the banding because the lense was moving. The poor detail resulted from the lense being upside down and too far out of focus. I am now getting great results on my 30 watt spirit running at 20 power and 100 speed at 250dpi. It always seemed to me that my laser was lacking in power and that explains it. Does Sawmill Creek have a "Boob Of The Year Award" because I think this sure could put me in the running. Maybe I'll just make one myself. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Now I can get to work!

Peter Meacham
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Michael, great resolution to your problem. And believe me, we all have done things that would qualify us for that award.

Frank Corker
01-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Does Sawmill Creek have a "Boob Of The Year Award" because I think this sure could put me in the running.

We do now, congratulations!!! :D

...just kidding ;)

Bill Cunningham
01-12-2008, 9:23 PM
Well Michael.. Don't sweat it.. I think the majority of us have done things that are just tooooo stupid to even mention.. Hmmm or maybe it's just me after all..:o
I have a cowboy wisdom quote engraved into a half log sign in my shop that says That says..
"If everything is going right, then you ain't learnin.."

Larry Bratton
01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi again, I posted a thread last week about having problems with photos on black marble. I would like to thank everyone who replied, and thought some of you may be interested in the out come. For those of you who didn't view the thread, I was getting random frequent banding and photos with very poor detail. This is what we found out: After speaking with my sales rep. Steve Spaulding from laserpro, I determined that my 2 in. focal lense was not 2 inches away from my workpiece. It was closer to 2.25. The lense which I thought could only fit in one place was in fact in the wrong slot. My lense has been in the wrong position, and upside down since the very first time I took out the lense, which was about 7 months ago when I first got the machine. Being a newbie I didn't even realize I had put it back in the wrongslot. It wasn't fitting tight enough which explains the banding because the lense was moving. The poor detail resulted from the lense being upside down and too far out of focus. I am now getting great results on my 30 watt spirit running at 20 power and 100 speed at 250dpi. It always seemed to me that my laser was lacking in power and that explains it. Does Sawmill Creek have a "Boob Of The Year Award" because I think this sure could put me in the running. Maybe I'll just make one myself. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Now I can get to work!
Michael:
Ohhh, your not alone! I was having a problem with the quality on my machine when we first got it. Seems that my helper kinda didn't understand about cleaning and replacing the mirrors etc. I was working away, standing over the machine trying to figure out what was happening and the mirror that sits over the lens actually FELL OUT ON THE TABLE!!

I have learned over the 8 months or so I have owned it, that optics problems are the most prevalent issues when it comes to quality. Keep them clean and seated properly and a lot of quality issues will go away.
Good luck!

Lisa Walter
01-13-2008, 4:54 PM

Thanks for following up and telling us the outcome :) It will help us newbies (boobies? haha) in the future should we encounter the same problems!

Lisa