PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Adapter on Powermatic Lathe

Gilbert Vega
01-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I looking at getting a powermatic 3520B. This lathe has a 1 1/4" x 8 spindle while the lathe I've been using has 1" x 8 spindle. I still plan on using it for small turnings (it's a Delta midi).The problem is I have 5 Nova chucks with 1" x 8 adapters on them. I was contemplating buying a 1 1/4" to 1" adapter so I could use the chucks and face plates on either lathe. What is the negative side of doing this? I see Powermatic sells a 2" spindle extender so isn't this about the same thing? Thanks for any input.

Gilbert

Tim A. Mitchell
01-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Possible increase in runout due to additional pieces and interfaces.

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Gilbert I bought the ones CSUSA sells for my lathe. They are shorter than the others I have seen. I was scared the longer ones might have runout as Tim said. I have the small Rikon and wanted to use the 4 chucks and 5 faceplates I have on both. I haven't had any problems switching them back and forth from the Rikon (1" X 8) to the Nova DVR(1 1/4" X 8). Been using it for about 6 months now.

Gilbert Vega
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks Bernie. I'll check the adapter at CSUSA.

Tony Wheeler
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
if you get the mustard one thing to think about is getting one new thread adapter for one of your nova chucks with the set screws so when reversing you don't have to try catching your project when it unscrews DAMKIT

Bill Blasic
01-12-2008, 7:35 AM
Gilbert,
Woodcraft sells an adapter for the Nova chucks that cots about $6, the one I bought works as well as the Nova adapters. If it were me I'd buy a couple of these and change the chucks to 1 1/4 X 8 and leave 1 or 2 with the 1 X 8 for the midi.

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I'd probably change the native adapters in the chuck to the match for the larger machine and put the spindle adapter on the smaller one where any run-out, however small, is less obvious due to the smaller work piece sizes.

Hilel Salomon
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I had a Vega and Delta (actually still have it) lathes with 1x8 spindles and then I bought a powermatic and Nova DVR- both of which have a 1.25x8.
I bought spindle adapters at this site www.woodenpost.com/products/change_spindle_size_on_lathe.htm which was the cheapest I could find. Bought one that converts to 1.25 and one which converts from it, so I could still use some of my faceplates. I still use an axminster chuck with a fixed 1x8 and have had no problems with it. I do think that if you have novas or strongholds you would be better off (which is what I also did) in getting some discounted Nova and ONeway chuck adapters and selling your old ones.
Regards, Hilel

Ken Fitzgerald
01-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Gilbert. I bought my threaded adapter for my SN2 so I could use it on my PM3520B from CSUSA and it works well and it has the set screw in it to keep the chuck from coming off when you sand in reverse.

Thomas Canfield
01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
I bought the Jet 1 1/4 to 1" spindle adapter when I bought my Powermatic 3520B and also bought a PSI 1 1/4" to 1" adapter through Amazon( about $17 at the time). The Jet is a lot heavier and has the set screws to lock on the spindle, but the PSI functions well with my smaller chucks and also use for smaller donut chuck built to work with Jet mini lathe. I applied the "$50 Gift Certificate" that came with purchase of the lathe toward the 2" long 1 1/4" Jet extension at the recommendation of other owners, but have not had need to use it yet. All of the adapters have different flat dimensions and require some type of adjustable wrench if really set. I found an old lightweight/short handle spanner wrench, 1 7/8" opening, that came with some door hardware or something that somewhat fits and is soft enough I know I am not damaging the adapter. Always something else needed.