PDA

View Full Version : Boeshield T9 - Gummy?

Charlie Barnes
01-11-2008, 8:09 PM
I recently purchased a can of Boeshield T9 and applied a coat to my new table saw top. I went kind of heavy with it and allowed it to dry before "buffing" it with a rag. After I had it wiped down, the top seemed kind of gummy or sticky. I have a usually unheated garage except when I'm working out there on weekends. I had my previous saw for 17 years and only used wax on it with no rust or other problems. My expectation was that Boeshield would protect the top from rust without altering the "slickness" (coefficient of friction).

It's back to wax for now, but did I do something wrong for future reference? Anybody else ever have this happen? Is this just a function of the heat/cool cycles that my equipment goes through?

Craig Haggart
01-11-2008, 8:25 PM
Charlie, I use Boeshield all the time and have for years, on my sailboat and now on my motorcycles. But I don't think I'd try it as a saw wax. It seems to me that it would pick up particles (maybe that's the gumminess you experienced?), and I'd be worried about possibly staining light wood. When I touch a surface that has had Boeshield on it, I can feel it on my fingers.

Definitely good stuff for lubricating metal parts, however! I just used it yesterday on my table saw to lube the blade height adjustor, which was getting tight because the thrust washer was galling. Works great now.

John Newell
01-11-2008, 8:29 PM
I use Boeshield on vehicle fastners that I don't want to corrode and that don't need anti-sieze. Unless you wipe it down nearly clean, yes, it does leave a gummy residue. I don't think I'd use it on a blade or table top unless I were storing them for a long period. Maybe it'd be fine wiped thinly while still liquid, but I don't know how much protection you'd get.

Richard Link
01-11-2008, 8:36 PM
Charles,

I use Boeshield T9 all the time as a protectant on my tablesaw top. It works great. Ideally, you want to put it down fairly lightly and then buff it out. It does NOT, I'll admit, act as a lubricant but it does a great job of protecting the top. No problems in the long run with "Gumminess." Have a look at the Woodwhisperer site....Marc has some specific recommendations about T9, etc.

Rick

Mike Marcade
01-11-2008, 8:39 PM
I apply the T9 to my tools and let it sit for maybe 30 minutes, then wipe it off. Then I wax on top of that with Johnson's.

John Newell
01-11-2008, 9:59 PM
I'm not wiping after applying on the vehicle, obviously - go with these guys' advice and don't let it stand in a thick coating.

John Karam
01-11-2008, 10:10 PM
i buff it out after it has dried then i apply paste wax on top of it. t9 for rust protection, wax for smoothness.

John Thompson
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I use Boshield also. As stated, just spray and wipe it off then. If you know you will not use a machine for awhile, you can go heavy and not wipe it. It will be sticky as you mentioned. All you have to do then when ready to use it is wipe it off with mineral spirits.

Look at the contents.. waxes and propbllent basically. From what I read on their web-site and told by a gentleman that repped the proiduct bees-wax may be the weapon of choice even though I cannot state that for absolute sure. Sort of one of those non-educated guesses based on what Miriams BIL told a friend of a friend, etc. :)

Sarge..

Eddie Darby
01-12-2008, 9:02 AM
Boeshield then Top-Coat works for me. T-9 penetrates well, and Top-Coat is more durable.

Michael Gibbons
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
A thin coat of Boesheild, wipe down , let dry, then a coat of paste wax. Works for me. A guy at Woodcraft told me so. and thats the truth-:p

Per Swenson
01-13-2008, 6:00 AM
Hi Everybody,

It is my experience that when applying Boeshield,

the surface has to be clean and wax free.

Otherwise.....gummybears.

Good stuff though.

Per

Russ Filtz
01-13-2008, 7:54 AM
I always heard T-9 was paraffin wax in the carrier/solvents?

Dave Lehnert
01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I have never used this stuff I get at Lowe's for a table top protectant but use it for everything else. works very well. I could not get the bolt off the mower blade with a impact wrench. I shot it with this stuff and let it set for about an hour. The bolt came out like it have never been frozen. Only $5 a can.
I use it on all my woodworking equipment because it does not attract dust after it drys.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101

Howard Acheson
01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Boeshield T9 is the best protectorent that you can use on cast iron. At least two magazines have tested protectorents and come to that conclusion. There was no other protectorent that was even close. Wax was at the bottom of the list.

That said, T9 should NOT be applied in a heavy film nor should it be applied in cold whether. I would recommend using mineral spirits and removing it. Then apply a thinner coat following the directions on the can.

Yes, T9 does not leave a slippery surface. After the T9 has fully dried, apply a coat of furniture paste wax and all will be slippery again. Retreat periodically.

John Thompson
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I always heard T-9 was paraffin wax in the carrier/solvents?

Yep.. my "bad" on the bee-wax. Hurried post without careful thought. :)

Sarge..