PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a dependable table saw

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 6:17 PM
Can you guys tell me what you think of this

If you're prejudice towards craftsmen- please don't be biased in your opinion. I jsut need to know if his is a good all around saw for cross and ripping?

Go to eBay and search: Lightly Used 10 Craftsman Table Saw

Matt Meiser
01-11-2008, 6:56 PM
It looks pretty similar to the first table saw I bought but mine had the cast iron web wings. The difference between it and the Delta contractor saw I replaced it with (in early 2001) is like night and day. The Biesemeyer fence that came with my Delta is accurate where the Align-A-Rip required me to check the measurement with a tape every cut. It would also move slightly if bumped. This one has better power too. In general, the Delta is heavier duty. I had to replace the motor mounting bracket a little over a year after I bought it because it cracked.

scott spencer
01-11-2008, 7:01 PM
That's a well proven US made pre-1997 Emerson saw. The innerds are essentially the same saw as the current Ridgid. The motor is 1.5hp, not 3hp, but should be adequate with good alignment and good blade selection. The fence is an upgrade from most of the Emerson stock fences, and the wheels are a handy feature. The fact that it still has a miter gauge and blade guard help the value and the function. It probably won't go much over $200, and should be well worth that IMHO.

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 8:47 PM
The fact that it still has a miter gauge and blade guard help the value and the function. It probably won't go much over $200, and should be well worth that IMHO.

Thanks Scott - that's comforting my budget at the momment doesn't have much more than $200-300 at the time :(

I'm not looking to do anything fancy allow me to at least make some rough cuts and possibly be accurate enough to fabricae some table legs

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 8:50 PM
It looks pretty similar to the first table saw I bought but mine had the cast iron web wings.

Doyou feel it would be a good first saw to do rough cuts and maybe fabricate a double oak pedestal base w/stretcher?

That's my first project - after that Ill just be ripping 2 x4's to frame out some walls, till I get thefunds to build a queen sleigh bed for the wife.

M. A. Espinoza
01-11-2008, 9:12 PM
That is a decent contractor saw, left tilt to boot. My Dad had one like it and I used it occasionally.

If you get it just put a link belt on it, maybe a zero clearance throat plate, tune it up and I doubt it will give you any problems.

Matt Meiser
01-11-2008, 9:33 PM
Almost any table saw will get you by, but the lower the quality, the quicker you are going to want to replace it. I think I sold mine for about $300 when I got the Delta. Its certainly a step or three above one of the direct drive saws. Lots of guys have tricked out the Craftsman saws too. The Align-A-Rip fence isn't a Biesemeyer or Unifence in my experience, but its also no where near as bad as some of the older fences. It at least locks down square. If you can get it in the $200 range like Scott says, its not a bad investment. One thing I did on mine was to shift the fence rails over. Originally they allowed for 24" left and right of the blade which is unusual. I shifted them over for 36" right and 12" left. IIRC it was pretty simple and I just made a simple wood and MDF extension table.

I see older, basic Delta contractor saws on Craigslist from time to time around here in the price range you are looking in. I'm pretty happy with my Delta (though I'll someday buy an older Unisaw and restore that) and my basic saw is the same as some of those. If it were me, having had one of each, I'd buy a Delta and put money into that over a Craftsman.

glenn bradley
01-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I had a similar Emerson and my dad now owns it. I put the Align-a-Rip on it and it works great. There are adjustments that allow it to lock tight and straight. The fence and rails are aluminum so if they have been bent, they're pretty much shot. If they are in good shape, I see no problems. If the previous owner didn't, take a little time to set it up and it will serve you well.

If it is just a get-by saw it will be a nice one. If it stays longer than planned, there are plenty of after-market doo-dads to trick it out; PALs, machined pulleys, link belts, etc. Do check it out for any problems like alignments issues through the range of motion on the trunnions and such. If it has been 'bent' it will give you a lot of grief. I'm not saying it has, I'm just saying give it the once over before you buy it. ;-)