PDA

View Full Version : Oak and walnut vanity for loml

Brad Hammond
01-11-2008, 3:49 PM
here's a vanity i finished up today for the wife. it's qs red oak and walnut. sanded to 320, 3 coats of tung oil and topped off with spray poly.
critiques are welcome...... i'll be the first...... dude, you gotta get another camera! :D geeze that thing is old!

thanx all for looking! next on the list... bookcases for some friends.

have a great one!

brad

Greg Cole
01-11-2008, 3:55 PM
Brad,
Very cool & very nice. Looks a little Greene n Greene inspired .....;)
I have no real issues with the photos.... if you saw my cell phone pics...:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Greg

gary Zimmel
01-11-2008, 4:15 PM
Brad,

Nice looking vanity, great workmanship.

I agree with Greg, it looks a little like a Greene & Greene piece.

Love the style...

Ken Glass
01-11-2008, 4:20 PM
Brad,
I really like your design and wood color usage with the Walnut. It shows real creativity. Thanks for sharing...

Brad Hammond
01-11-2008, 4:25 PM
thanx all so much!! yes, i was looking for some arts and crafts, greene and greene elements. cloud lifts and panels are a booger!

Dave Ray
01-11-2008, 4:42 PM
Very nicely done, Brad. I like that combination of woods. Old camera maybe.... but real craftmanship comes through.

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 5:02 PM
Interesting use of the walnut! Handsome!

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 5:07 PM
Very interesting design, Brad! When you get a chance, give us a closer look at that drawer design, too... :)

Brad Hammond
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
too late jim! she's taken it over! they're very very simple. i'll eventually build some more drawers with either box joinery or dovetails. most likely the later.
they're just butt joints with biscuits, a couple of brads and glue. the fronts were built seperately and attatched with double stick tape for alignment then secured with screws. nothing exciting.
her bday is the 23rd so i was trying to make sure i finished it before it snuck up on me. when i get a dovetail jig, or get better at my handcuts i'll rebuild the drawer cases out of poplar or maple. i can tell you, and i'll try to get a pic up, that the walnut trim on the drawers were made from a single piece of walnut, so the grain is flows up each drawer.

i just tried to get a pic, but i just dont have enough light and the flash shatters the grain pattern. i'll try during the daylight.

thanx again everyone for the kind comments!

Bob Feeser
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
It's nice on first, second, and third impression. I was looking at the first photograph of the side shot. My immediate reaction was an attractive piece, well proportioned. Then on second impression I noticed the black walnut pegs or plugs, which lent a more formal look to it, when blended with the black walnut sections, then I stared farther, and the side panel of red oak, bringing out the black strands running through the grain, mirrored/matched with the other vertical piece on the other end, and suddenly the piece took on the next level of art appreciation; I was mezmerized. Seriously, stare at the first picture for a while. It draws you in. I haven't seen red oak and black walnut come together so beautifully before. Well made and designed. Congrats.

Brad Hammond
01-12-2008, 4:54 PM
thanx alot bob!!!! very kind words!! thanx so much!

Jerry Olexa
01-12-2008, 5:02 PM
Excellent work....nice workmanship....

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2008, 7:03 PM
I like Greene and Greene as well... You sure did it justice with that piece. That is outstanding work... No criticisums here