PDA

View Full Version : Molding plane dimensions

Sam Yerardi
01-11-2008, 3:40 PM
I use a few molding planes but I haven't gotten any of the plane books or DVDs yet so I'm still learning. I've just done a lot of reading in Fine Woodworking, etc. I'm trying to understand how the dimensions of a given molding plane actually relate to the size of the resulting molding. In other words, if I have a '1/8" side bead plane', does it mean that the bead itself on the wood ends up 1/8" wide or does the dimension include the tiny quirk beside the bead as well? Same question for ovolos, ogees, etc. If it is a 1" ovolo, is the dimension from the top of the ovolo where it is first cut to the outer edge of the board? I have made a few for special purposes but as far as making one that meets the requirements of for example, a standard 1/4" side bead, I'm having trouble gleaning that from what I've read.

Thanks in advance

Tony Joyce
01-11-2008, 8:09 PM
Sam,
"The" source for information on wood planes are the two books by John M. Whelan "Making Traditional Wooden Planes" & "The Wooden Plane: Its History, Form and Function", both available for around $20 each. DVD's by Todd Herli "Classic Plane Making" and Larry Williams "Making Traditional Side Escapement Planes". These four sources will provide 99% of the information you could ever need for building wooden planes.

Sizing on bead planes typically seems to be the size stated is the width of the bead plus any quirk. Sizing hollows and rounds is a subject all on it's own, there seems to be no set in stone method for sizing, but rather varying convections used by individual plane makers.

Tony

Sam Yerardi
01-14-2008, 7:27 AM
Thanks! I've ordered Herli's video and I am going to order all the other items as well.