PDA

View Full Version : <b>Where to buy Plywood - nice lumber for furniture making

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 3:13 PM
Since walking up and down the aisles of the "big box" home imporvement stores has left a lot to be desired in regards to nice lumber/plywood w/ lots a checks, pops warped lumber.

Can anyone recommend a good local lumber yard in the Bucks or even in Philadelphia County that won't send me into the crossfire of gun shots? :p

I'm looking to start building furniture and re finishing some furniture. And if my father taught me anything the product is only as good as the materials and tools its built with...

Thanks

glenn bradley
01-11-2008, 3:17 PM
You are on the right track to seek out a reputable supplier for "real" wood products. As I am on the left coast, I am no good to you as far as referrals. I'm sure some folks in your area will chime in.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-11-2008, 3:19 PM
Try Industrial Plywood or Russell Plywood in Reading. I'm pretty sure both will deliver for reasonable rates. Haven't actually used either one but have heard good things about both.

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 3:24 PM
Try Industrial Plywood or Russell Plywood in Reading.

Thanks Rob, although Reading is my old stomping grounds; I'm not sure that they will deliver to my area; but I will check and also on the minimum purchase requirement.

Any thoughts on yards around here?

Rob Bodenschatz
01-11-2008, 3:29 PM
They will deliver to you. I think the minimum is $300.

Russ Sears
01-11-2008, 3:35 PM
A little out of your search area but these people are tremendous to deal with and have a great selection: http://www.groffslumber.com/
They will ship.

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 3:44 PM
A little out of your search area but these people are tremendous to deal with and have a great selection: http://www.groffslumber.com/
They will ship.

Thanks Russ

Who do you recommend for construction lumber like Plywood and 2 x 4's?

Scott Long
01-11-2008, 3:49 PM
it depends on your local area.

I am about 45 min. from philly I like to go to peter lumber in limerick, or A.D. Moyer in Pottstown.

Russ Sears
01-11-2008, 6:14 PM
Joe, for the construction lumber I like to go to the smaller lumberyards. I'm in the Lancaster area; we have JH Brubaker's and Snavely's. That's not to say that I never buy any from Lowe's or the borg but I find the smaller places tend to have better quality materials. Plus, I like buying from the local guy when possible.