PDA

View Full Version : Possible New "Void" Filler

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 2:55 PM
I was reading the latest issue of Woodshop News a little while ago and happened upon an article about a new filler product called Knot-Tec. This stuff is a nylon material that is fed from a hot-glue gun. While designed to quickly fill knot holes (20-30 seconds before you can trim, sand and finish), it looks like it might be an interesting filler material for turners to deal with larger voids in some pieces. 'Comes in four colors...amber, beige, black or cola. It will work in a standard 1/2" industrial glue gun, but they do recommend their gun which retails for about $30 as it gets to 350ºF rather quickly.

It's not on the Power Adhesives web site (http://www.poweradhesives.com/index.html) yet, so a call to the US location of the company in Charlotte will be required to check it out. The number there is 704-334-2425.

This could be an interesting alternative to CA, Epoxy or other fillers for the woodturning space...

Sam Yerardi
01-11-2008, 3:27 PM
Thanks Jim. I actually have been looking for something like this.

Jim Underwood
01-11-2008, 3:54 PM
Now if you could just custom color it....

Ben Gastfriend
01-11-2008, 4:01 PM
I'll bet with a pot from the dollar store, some of that stuff, and some pigments, you could custom color it. Yikes... I don't really classify myself as lazy, but that's too much for me.

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 4:59 PM
Ben, I think coloring it would be difficult...you need very high heat to melt it (which is why they push their gun since it gets to 350º in just a few minutes) and it solidifies in 20-30 seconds. But given most turners use things like coffee grounds and the like as a filler, the black or cola color would likely work just fine out of the box.

The Woodshop News article for this is unfortunately not online at this point...they seem to run about two months behind.

Jason Christenson
01-11-2008, 5:23 PM
This is just a suggestion but since Jim discovered it, I say he orders a gross and distributes it to everyone who is active here on the turners forum. All in favor? :D

Jason

Dan Forman
01-11-2008, 6:07 PM
Aye!

Dan

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 8:51 PM
This is just a suggestion but since Jim discovered it, I say he orders a gross and distributes it to everyone who is active here on the turners forum. All in favor?

LOL! 'Wish I could be so generous, but with the addition and all...you'll have to call me scrooge once again this year!