PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Source

Pete Simmons
01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Any suggestions on where to get stainless steel plates for cermark engraving.

I know Laserbits has some but I need other sizes and lower prices.

Looking for small sizes like 4.375 x 2.625, 5x7 and bisiness card size.

Tony Lenkic
01-11-2008, 1:01 PM
Pete,

One source you can call is:
Engraving specialties 1-800-343-5750

You may also look locally for sheet metal suppliers/fabricators.

Brian Robison
01-11-2008, 3:00 PM
What size?

Mike Null
01-11-2008, 4:00 PM
You can get them here.

http://www.idplates.com/index.html

Barb Macdonald
01-11-2008, 5:07 PM
They stock all kinds of kick-plates etc., be nice and they'll shear you any size you like. Surprising how inexpensive stainless is.
And really nice to CerMark.
Now if my laser would ONLY etch/blacken aluminum..... Easily!!
good luck:)
Barb

Tracey Bakewell
01-12-2008, 1:05 AM
I use both Engraving Specialties and IDPlates as noted above. I go to Engraving Specialties always first because their less than minimums aren't as high as ID Plates, however there is a much larger selection from ID Plates.

And yes, someone please help get the aluminum to mark better :D

Richard Rumancik
01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Regardless who you order from, make sure you understand exactly what you will be getting. Some years ago I ordered stainless business cards from Engraving Specialties. They were .018" thick brushed stainless. The brushed side was protected with a peel-off liner. (The rear was polished, but unfortunately, since it was not protected in any way, shows scratches very readily. These would be suitable for ID tags but not ideal as "business cards".)

The problem was when I went to use Cermark on the brushed side. After a lot of frustration I realized that there was a second polymer coating on the brushed side, making it impossible to use Cermark. I don't know what process these cards/tags were designed to be used for but it was not suitable for Cermark. And the bare side has too many scratches to use the rear.

Try to get a sample to test if possible before you buy a box of tags or cards, even if it is of a different size.

Bill Cunningham
01-12-2008, 9:28 PM
Pull out your yellow pages .. Just about every town has a listing under 'sheetmetal' most of the tin banger shop have stainless.. I usually buy 16ga for most jobs, and just buy it from a local sheet metal fabricating shop..

Richard Rumancik
01-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Getting custom plates cut up by a local shop could be a possible solution if you select the right shop. You can get somebody to cut them up for you IF:

they understand that you want the opposite edges to be parallel
they understand you want them all the same size (specify a tolerance)
they ensure that they don't get scratched up during processing from the sharp edges
they package properly
they can supply with protective film liner
they deburr them properly
you want square corners as opposed to radiused corners
they understand the business you are in and are not specializing in exhaust ducts
they can supply a suitable finish (eg brushed).
they are using proper die clearance so the edges cut clean and do not drag

plus many more issues . . . just pointing out that you need to have a proper drawing/spec or don't be surprised what you might get.

A proper stamping die will ensure that a lot of the above issues are taken care of. If you want to buy local or can't find the tag size you need, one option would be to find a precision sheet metal shop (e.g a company that makes chassis for electronic equipment) that has a CNC punch press and a die for the tag needed. They will usually have a library of dies you can use. I think they can buy the stainless with protective film applied at the mill. I won't say it will be cheap, however, due to the setup cost. You will need to buy quite a few to make it practicable. However, they might be willing to mix a bunch of different sizes in one run. The heating and ventilating guy probably can't supply what you want.

Stainless is difficult to shear and most engraving type shears would have difficulty with it. I have a Di-acro 6" corner shear and it works great on steel and aluminum, but cannot cut stainless.

Bill Cunningham
01-15-2008, 8:28 PM
I agree with Richard if you need special shapes, and good tolerances, but for the customer that says can you give me a plate for a memorial bench that will not be affected by weather. A sheared piece of brushed 16ga stainless plate in what ever size you need will fill the bill pretty well..