PDA

View Full Version : What type of wood is this?

Jeff Skory
02-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi All,

I found a thick piece of thick grained wood in the scrap pile I bought at the lumber mill. I resawed it on my tablesaw. It took two passes because the blade could not be raised high enough. Never again!! :( That was not a fun experience.

Now that my Grizzly is here I'll resaw things the right way.

Anyway, after planing the two halves I glued them together.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the boards.

I can't find a picture of anything like this in the books I have so far and have not found a good website for wood identification. So I am turning to my favorite source of info. :) All the seasoned woodworkers at the Creek.

Does anyone have an idea of what this is? Can you point me toward a source I can use to help me identify it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Tyler Howell
02-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Jeff.
It is unquestionably very pretty.

Jim Tobias
02-28-2004, 12:51 AM
It looks like Zebrawood. If it stinks when cut, then it is definitely Zebrawood.

Rob Littleton
02-28-2004, 2:49 AM
got my vote on Zebra wood.

Greg Tatum
02-28-2004, 3:22 AM
Pic #1 looks like spalt lines...what does the end grain look like? How heavy or dense is it? If looks like some spalted alder that I have.

Greg

Todd Burch
02-28-2004, 7:27 AM
Jeff, read this outloud to yourself with Dustin's Hoffmans "Rain Man" inflection:

"Zebrawood. Definately zebrawood. Definately. Yeah."

EDIT: This should be enough pictures of it for ya... http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/zebrawood.htm

Mac McAtee
02-28-2004, 8:12 AM
I bought some wood that looked like that from Wall Lumber one time. They were calling it New Guinea Walnut. Still have a few boards of it.

Jeff Skory
02-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Jeff, read this outloud to yourself with Dustin's Hoffmans "Rain Man" inflection:

"Zebrawood. Definately zebrawood. Definately. Yeah."

EDIT: This should be enough pictures of it for ya... http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/zebrawood.htm

Zebrawood. Zebrawood. Yep, that's what it is all right.

Although, I might need a couple more pictures to be absolutely sure. :D

Thanks for the site Todd.

Ed Falis
02-28-2004, 11:40 AM
This should be enough pictures of it for ya... http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/zebrawood.htm

Thanks for the great site, Todd. I think I've finally identified the bulk of the floors in my house as fir, likely Douglas fir, thanks to the pictures.

- Ed

Wolf Kiessling
02-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi All,

I found a thick piece of thick grained wood in the scrap pile I bought at the lumber mill. I resawed it on my tablesaw. It took two passes because the blade could not be raised high enough. Never again!! :( That was not a fun experience.

Now that my Grizzly is here I'll resaw things the right way.

Anyway, after planing the two halves I glued them together.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the boards.

I can't find a picture of anything like this in the books I have so far and have not found a good website for wood identification. So I am turning to my favorite source of info. :) All the seasoned woodworkers at the Creek.

Does anyone have an idea of what this is? Can you point me toward a source I can use to help me identify it?

Thanks,

Jeff

I have no idea what the wood is but I will go against the crowd and say that I DO NOT think it is zebrawood.

Here is the description I have of zebrawood: Medium to heavy hardwood with possible coars to very coarse grain texture depending on how it is cut. Light tan to golden yellow with streaks of dark brown to black.

Can't tell, of course about the grain from the picture but to me those lines do not look like streaks to me. I believe they are spalt lines. Just my two cents.....

Jeff Skory
02-28-2004, 2:59 PM
I have no idea what the wood is but I will go against the crowd and say that I DO NOT think it is zebrawood.

Here is the description I have of zebrawood: Medium to heavy hardwood with possible coars to very coarse grain texture depending on how it is cut. Light tan to golden yellow with streaks of dark brown to black.

Can't tell, of course about the grain from the picture but to me those lines do not look like streaks to me. I believe they are spalt lines. Just my two cents.....

Hi Wolf,

I was out at the mill this morning picking up some other wood. Ran across their stash of zebra wood. Definitely the same stuff. It is quite heavy and the grain texture is fairly coarse. I really like the way it looks. I'm going to have to see how well it finishes and maybe think of a project where I can go buy some more of it.

Wolf Kiessling
02-28-2004, 3:26 PM
Hi Wolf,

I was out at the mill this morning picking up some other wood. Ran across their stash of zebra wood. Definitely the same stuff. It is quite heavy and the grain texture is fairly coarse. I really like the way it looks. I'm going to have to see how well it finishes and maybe think of a project where I can go buy some more of it.

Oh well, that having been said - that's some of the prettiest zebra wood I've ever seen.

Jeff Skory
02-28-2004, 4:52 PM
I just put some BLO on a piece of scrap from that zebra wood. WOW! I love that stuff. Really brings out the color. I can definitely see more of this wood in my future.

Jim Young
02-28-2004, 6:56 PM
zebra wood plus walnut make a nice combo.

jerry cousins
02-28-2004, 8:33 PM
might want to check black limba

jerry

Jeff Skory
02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
zebra wood plus walnut make a nice combo.

That's kinda what I thought, but LOML voted that down and thought something lighter would look better. Oh well, next project. ;)

Jim Young
02-29-2004, 11:07 AM
I've had a piece of Zebra wood sitting in my rack for a couple of years now waiting for a project. Since my wife hates Walnut, I haven't thought of a place to use it elsewhere. I got my piece from the place on M59 once while buying some maple. Seems everytime I go there I purchase something extra.

Jeff Skory
02-29-2004, 3:49 PM
Jim,

That's where I've gotten all my wood so far. They had quite a bit of zebra wood there. Next time I go I'll pick up a board. And yeah, I know what you mean. So much pretty wood. Might as well store it at your house instead of in that barn, right? :D

Charles Bruno
03-01-2004, 7:27 AM
I use this sight often, hope it helps
www.hardwoodconcil.com

Ed Falis
03-01-2004, 1:34 PM
I use this sight often, hope it helps
www.hardwoodconcil.com

Thanks, Charles.

- Ed

Alan Turner
03-01-2004, 1:54 PM
Zebrawood is attractive, depending upon one's taste, of course. But working it, esp. with hand tools, is a bear. The grain is interlocked, so that I have never been able to hand plane it. Never. Ever. Saws, and then abrasives, with a nose plug or two. Have fun with it.
Alan

Chris Padilla
03-01-2004, 2:01 PM
My wife loves Zebrawood...I suppose I'll be working with it sometime in the future! :)