PDA

View Full Version : Scmi Sc 600????

Joe Meazle
01-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a cance to buy a Big (for me) bandsaw it is a SCMI Sc 600. Anybody have one or have used one that can give me any feedback.

The one I am considering looks like the pic but is not the specfic one I am looking at I just swiped a pic off the web since I don't have good one of the very saw I am considering.http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/meazlejr/09-29-06scmi.jpg

I am currently using a 16" Tannewitz BS that rehabbed.

Thanks guys/gals,
Joe

Rye Crane
01-11-2008, 1:13 PM
Hi Joe,

I have the same saw, painted MiniMax colors built by Centauro in Modena, Italy. The saw is great, they really are simple machines and if it looks sound with no rust and you have the ability to provide the proper power to it you should be good to go. I haven't had any trouble, it just eats wood like crazy.

Good Luck,
Rye Crane

Joe Meazle
01-11-2008, 3:52 PM
Thanks Rye. Any problems with parts. Can I get them form SCMI and/or Mini Max. I figure I may have to replace the tires and may be a bearing or two some day. I have heard good things about the carter guides that were used on these.
Thanks again,
Joe

Brad Shipton
01-11-2008, 6:00 PM
thats a nice industrial saw. It is single phase? Most that size are 3ph. I see them on exfactory a lot. top pick amoungst the pro's and should be relatively easy to find parts in the US.

Brad

Rye Crane
01-11-2008, 8:28 PM
Hi Joe,

Yes, parts will be available through MiniMax or several other suppliers for tires, etc. The Carter guides are great, your saw may not have a lower guide assembly, most of the European saws don't have lower guides, just the saws imported to the US have them. You can put so much tension on the saw you won't miss it if they are not installed.

I think Carter may also see tires for this saw, I'm sorry but I know I have seen ads for tires in many places just not sure about Carter. When you install a blade I would recommend the Lenox 1" Woodmaster CT or their 1" Trimaster Carbide blade the 2/3 TPI Positive rake is about 1.15 per inch. Pricey but the best one out there. It likes at least 30,000# tension cuts like it was butter and really smooth. With a new blade you won't have any drift issues, not until it becomes a little dull on one side or the other then it may drift a little. I've had mine on over a year and still sharp and no drift. Just run the blade with the teeth at the gullets over the edge of the wheel and it should track fine on both wheels. You will want to make sure the table is square to the blade on the side and rear of the blade. Should be a real sweet saw.

Good Luck,
Rye Crane