PDA

View Full Version : New to area and forum - Bucks / Philly Co

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
HI all Im new to the forum; however through a little "Googling"; I was able to find Jim Becker and here I am.

Ever since i was 9 I think, I have had a passion for wood working. Problem is I never had the room or the tools. We jsut bought our first house and I now have a garage to work in, which brings me to my question.

Can you guys recommend a good used table saw. I'm a little limited on funds right now but what I'm really looking for is a stationary unit and I would like to tap the experience here on the forum. What are some good names I should be looking for in my search - aside from Delta (which woudl be my obvious 1st pick) . From my limited time on the forum I have notcied to stay clear of Craftsmen if I want a nice saw.

I've been keeping my eyes open on craigslist and ebay in the Philadelphia area. My first project is to build a 8-person texas hold'em table with a dining tabel cover -preferably with pedestal or turned legs (not one of those folding types).

So I'll await some replies. Thanks in advance

PS If anyone is looking for some help / or a new friend in the Bucks County area to partake in wood working and small projects - hit me up I'm eager to get back in the groove - or even if someone is just looking for some good friendly company to pass the time - send me a reply. Doesn't matter how big or small the job - just offering and interested in meeting some new friends w/ similiar interests as I'm new to the area.

Joe
"Eager in Bucks Co"

Larry Fox
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
HI all Im new to the forum; however through a little "Googling"; I was able to find Jim Becker and here I am.

Welcome to the creek from a fellow Philadelphian.

Ever since i was 9 I think, I have had a passion for wood working. Problem is I never had the room or the tools. We jsut bought our first house and I now have a garage to work in, which brings me to my question.

Congrats on the house. Many of us are also in garage shops (myself included) so you will no doubt pickup some good tips on layout etc here.

Can you guys recommend a good used table saw. I'm a little limited on funds right now but what I'm really looking for is a stationary unit and I would like to tap the experience here on the forum. What are some good names I should be looking for in my search - aside from Delta (which woudl be my obvious 1st pick) . From my limited time on the forum I have notcied to stay clear of Craftsmen if I want a nice saw.

This is a tough question as it depends on your needs and budget. Lots of people have C^man saws and, with some hop-ups, seem t perform very well. Don't automatically write them off the list. In general, I would say that CL is your best bet - have to be quick though. There was a Unisaw in very good shape on there Tuesday that sold for $100 (not a typo). I called about it no more than 15-minutes after it had been posted and the guy told me I was 12th in line for it.

I've been keeping my eyes open on craigslist and ebay in the Philadelphia area. My first project is to build a 8-person texas hold'em table with a dining tabel cover -preferably with pedestal or turned legs (not one of those folding types).

Very ambitious project for first project in a new shop. You will also need a lot of room for it's construction. I would advise seeing if you can expand a little to make it 10-person. In my expereince, it always seems like you have more players than spots at the table and you end up either squeezing in or splitting tables which results in two smallish games. Your mileage may vary and you certainly have a better sense of how your home game shapes up than I, but something to consider.

Matt Bickford
01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
If you're interested, the MCWW (montgomery county woodworkers guild) is meeting next week, 1/16, for our monthly get-together. All are welcome. There will be a demonstration on carving the ball of a ball and claw foot (with the claw coming at a later date). There is a wide range of skill and interests among the group. membership is free.

Note: we technically meet in Philadelphia county but have people that come from Delaware and NJ, too.

Jeffrey Schronce
01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Joe,

Seems like you are doing the right things. There are regular used cabinet table saws on craigslist. Search Philly, Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, Jersey, Delware and Baltimore. You are only an hour or so to any of these markets. Its hard to give a blanket recommendation because everyone has some dogs out there even Delta. Key is just finding a good solid cabinet saw that meets your needs. Make sure it has a good solid fence and a solid motor. Make sure you have 220 availible for larger saws if needed, otherwise stick with 110. I assume you want your holdem table to be designed like a standard oval table. A jigsaw will make this much easier. If you want a simple solid wood base go with a mission style. If you want complex claw foot bases then look to buy those as opposed to making them. I agree on the larger table. Think about how crowded a 10 person table gets when it is full. With a casual home game with 8 players you will have a little elbow room and less likely to spill beverages of choice! LOL!

There are tons of design plans on the web. If you need any help with the project let me know. I have built a few nice tables. Putting a removable table top on the unit would be no problem. If you need assistance with tooling, etc let me know. Always willing to help a poker playing wood worker!

Rob Bodenschatz
01-11-2008, 1:14 PM
...Playing a decent amount of poker as I do...

Sounds like we need to get a game going. I could use some tool money.

:D:D:D

Larry Fox
01-11-2008, 3:24 PM

WOW!!!!

If you want to hang onto it the safest place is stuffed into the cookie-jar, not on the felt. :D:D:D

Mike Vermeil
01-11-2008, 3:44 PM
Joe,

I've got a used Delta Unisaw in good condition for sale in the Cincinnati area. PM me if you're interested & I'll send pics. I'd be willing to meet half way for exchange.

Mike

Jeffrey Schronce
01-11-2008, 6:02 PM

Agreed. Any buy in. I need a new jigsaw as well as a 40 x 40 addition to the shop, so whatever you guys want to donk off to me . . . .

Larry Fox
01-11-2008, 7:02 PM
Agreed. Any buy in. I need a new jigsaw as well as a 40 x 40 addition to the shop, so whatever you guys want to donk off to me . . . .

Ok, I enjoy a nice friendly game much as the next guy. Stakes - you said anything - so howz about 1-cent,2-cent LIMIT hold-em. That ought to get you that jigsaw and addition in short order. No rake at most home games so your hourly rate should be pretty decent. :D

Rob Bodenschatz
01-11-2008, 7:07 PM
Alright. We have me, Larry, Jeffrey & Joe. Who else is in for the first game? Who's hosting?

Chris Padilla
01-11-2008, 7:13 PM
Who's Jim Becker?? :confused: Never heard of 'im.

;)

Welcome to SMC!

I'd say eBay and your local Craigslist are the best bets. Keep an eye open in the Classified section here as well.

Also, take a gander at the link in my signature and consider ponying up $6 for this outstanding resource. You'll need to become a "contributor" in order to post in the Classifieds anyway but even with limited funds, I think it'll be the best $6 you ever spent!

Mark Smith, too
01-11-2008, 7:37 PM

One thing you'll need to be careful of is buying a saw you'll later find doesn't meet your needs. You can save money and not sacrifice much in quality by looking for a used hybrid saw. I'd try to stay away from a contractor's saw, but there are some decent ones out there. In a full table saw, besides Delta, consider a used Powermatic, Grizzly, or Steel City.

Search the discussion groups here and on other forums for table saw recommendations. The topic comes up frequently and there are some good recommendations for saws in the $500-$1,000 or so price range. Again, be careful of not buying something you'll later find disappointing.

Glad you have the opportunity to set up shop. It should be a lot of fun for you.

George Morris
01-11-2008, 9:07 PM
Greetings from Deleware co. on the south side of killadelphia . Welcome to the creek. If you build that table count me in for a friendly game!!

There is a woodcraft annual show January 19-20 in there delaware store. You can see the sawstop demo and also steel city there, they also have freud clinics on both days ,Also 10% off on many things with coupon. You can get info off woodcraft site if intrested. Again welcome!! George

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 9:18 PM
Joe, I sent you a PM.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2008, 9:35 PM
Welcome to the Creek Joe!

Following Becker here? Were you drunk?:eek::rolleyes::D

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 9:38 PM

Ken, I didn't know you had a flair for funny:p

Joe D'Attilio
01-11-2008, 9:48 PM

No that's tomorrow night:eek: Boad games and booze we jsut movedinto our house last month so its a little house warming

and Thanks for the welcoming comittee

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Ken, I didn't know you had a flair for funny:p

Hey! Funny?:confused:.......I was being serious!:eek::rolleyes::D

Tom Henry
01-11-2008, 11:51 PM

Rob-

Do I need to take your money...you know you need it to finish your shop! I think we can arrange a local game with some SMC members! :cool:

Joe D'Attilio
01-13-2008, 2:42 PM
I'll see you Wednesday; Looking forward to it!

If you're interested, the MCWW (montgomery county woodworkers guild) is meeting next week, 1/16, for our monthly get-together. All are welcome. There will be a demonstration on carving the ball of a ball and claw foot (with the claw coming at a later date). There is a wide range of skill and interests among the group. membership is free.

Note: we technically meet in Philadelphia county but have people that come from Delaware and NJ, too.

Matt Bickford
01-14-2008, 1:33 PM
The MCWW meeting has been moved to 1/17. I hope that you will still be able to make it.