PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Work Bench?

Circa Bellum
01-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm just getting started and want a work bench. I've looked at different plans etc. and just the other day ran across the H7723 60" Workbench Birch by Grizzly. For $350 delivered, I don't think I can build a bench like this with hardwood and install the vises and dogs this comes with for any less. Anyone got some thoughts on this?

Thanks!

glenn bradley
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree that for the price they look like a nice bench. Maybe someone who has had their hands on one can tell us more about how they feel. You are right about the price though. Then again, there is very little that cannot be made in mass cheaper than one at a time. If you are tight on money (aren't we all) or don't want to spend the time to build your own, this may be a good way to go. There are also tops available if you wanted to build your own base to meet your specific needs.

Brian Kent
01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
The shape and function look nice, but it is very lightweight at 110 lbs. It will slide easily when you plane. It also might rack, because the of the thinness of the stretchers. They give the edge thickness and not the thickness of the top itself.

All in all, it might be a good idea to buy a pre-made bench, but I think this one may not be hefty enough for hand-tool work.

Tony Zaffuto
01-11-2008, 1:33 PM
I was passing through Muncy, PA, where they have a location and on a spur of the moment decided to stop and browse. I gave them a quick look and was not impressed with the weight or the joinery. My impression (as far as a personal opinion) is I would be complaining forever if I would buy one (not that I was even considering buying one).

However, Grizzly does supply a very decent top (made somewhere in Penna.) for a very competitive price.

T.Z.

Gary Herrmann
01-11-2008, 1:46 PM
The Grizzly bench among others is reviewed in (I believe) the 2007 Tool issue of FWW. As I recall, I did not get good reviews, but I could be mistaken.

Bruce Haugen
01-11-2008, 1:49 PM
before you spend one thin dime on a bench, do yourself a favor and get Chris Schwarz's book on benches. (http://www.fwbookstore.com/product/1644/22) Then build the Roubo bench. It won't cost any more, probably less, and it will be much more substantial than most any commercial bench.

Bruce

Brian Kent
01-11-2008, 2:42 PM
The Grizzly bench among others is reviewed in (I believe) the 2007 Tool issue of FWW. As I recall, I did not get good reviews, but I could be mistaken.

Gary, I checked out your lead. Not only did the bench wobble a lot in the test, but they were testing the $850, 299lb model.

Just for context, I am a great fan of Grizzly and own several of their tools. I just don't recommend this specific item.

Marcus Ward
01-11-2008, 3:31 PM
I built my bench for about 350$ and it's a hell of a lot more bench than that. If you live anywhere near me (missouri near sedalia) you can pick up lumber from the guy I get my lumber from and build a large well-built bench for around the same price. Even with gas to drive several hundred miles to pick up wood you would be ahead on cost. Read Chris's book though first. That one from grizzly is too spindly and wouldn't be suitable for any sort of real work with hand tools.

http://www.f-64.org/bench/3.jpg

Michael Fross
01-11-2008, 4:25 PM
before you spend one thin dime on a bench, do yourself a favor and get Chris Schwarz's book on benches. (http://www.fwbookstore.com/product/1644/22) Then build the Roubo bench. It won't cost any more, probably less, and it will be much more substantial than most any commercial bench.

Bruce

I second this whole heartedly. I read through Landis's book, Schwartz's article in woodworking magazine when he built the Roubo bench and then got his book. The book is excellent and if you have access southern yellow pine (I don't) he says you can build it for $250. Full plans are in the book.

Michael

Mike Cutler
01-11-2008, 6:25 PM
Marcus

That's a really nice bench! I like it!

$350.00 is a fairly good amount for a bench. It should at least have some level of quality to it. It's too cheap to build a nice stout utilitarian bench. Not as nice as the one Marcus has shown us, but a good heavy functioning workbench.

Marcus Ward
01-11-2008, 7:41 PM
Thanks Mike. I guess 350 is a middlin amount if you build your own bench and you have affordable wood. Grizzly has a couple of benches that look okay in the 1000$ range, and the really swanky Diefenbach workbenches go for 3 grand and up for one like mine. I think every woodworker should build their own, it's a right of passage.

Thom Sturgill
01-11-2008, 9:10 PM
Thanks Mike. I guess 350 is a middlin amount if you build your own bench and you have affordable wood. Grizzly has a couple of benches that look okay in the 1000$ range, and the really swanky Diefenbach workbenches go for 3 grand and up for one like mine. I think every woodworker should build their own, it's a right of passage.
That, a plane and a tool box! They each teach their own lessons. I know I don't have that much in this one. Its Southern Yellow Pine purchased at HD. I would consider eventually replacing the top with a purchased maple top.

http://thomjoy.us/00003.jpg