PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Dave Bureau
01-11-2008, 9:22 AM
I went out to my shop yesterday and noticed a light coat of rust forming on some of my machines from condensation. What can i use on the tops other than wd40 to protect them. will a spray on laquer or something like that work?
Dave

Sean Kinn
01-11-2008, 9:24 AM
High-tech solution - Boeshield T-9
Low-tech solution - plain furniture paste wax (not car wax, all of the additives in it can cause finishing problems with wood)

Greg Stanford
01-11-2008, 9:27 AM
S C Johnson Paste Wax.

g

David G Baker
01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
WD40 will not protect iron from rust. You can use it to draw moisture out of things or use it to clean things but not for metal protection. Clean the rust off and wax with furniture wax or as mentioned above.
Don't ask how I found out the very hard way that WD40 will not protect metal.

Nathan Conner
01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I have used both wax and SlipIt. Both seem to do a good job - the SlipIt requires more frequent applications to work as a protector AND as a slip-enhancer, but they'll both keep the tops clean and protected. Just make sure you get the wax up within a little bit. Don't leave it for a week and then try to remove it.

Don't ask how I know this.

Jim Summers
01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
How are you going to go about cleaning the stuff (rust) off?

Tom Walz
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Clean rust with plain white vinegar?

Vegetable / plant based lubricants have a higher affinity for metal and many folks say they help with rust.

John Maus
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Dave,

I used to live in North Carolina and had big problems with rust recurring on tool tops. I have used the Boeshield T-9 Rust & Corrosion Protection and Boeshield Rust Free - Rust and Stain Remover. Both with great results The Rust Free is a little caustic but does the job. The T-9 lasts quite a while but I regularly recoated (2-3 months). There are many places to get both of these products and the prices vary significantly so just look around a little.

john

Jim Summers
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Dave,

I used to live in North Carolina and had big problems with rust recurring on tool tops. I have used the Boeshield T-9 Rust & Corrosion Protection and Boeshield Rust Free - Rust and Stain Remover. Both with great results The Rust Free is a little caustic but does the job. The T-9 lasts quite a while but I regularly recoated (2-3 months). There are many places to get both of these products and the prices vary significantly so just look around a little.

john

Hi John,

What do you mean by caustic? I have some small dis-colored areas but I don't think it is rust. One I know for sure is when one of my kids had something on their hands since then there are impressions (for lack of a better word) where the little feller's hand was while he was watching me.

Will the boeshield change the color of the top? I have heard of some that will kindof whiten it. Is there a way to get that gray cast-iron color back?

Thanks

Frank Guerin
01-11-2008, 6:13 PM
Being the low tech person that I am I have found that coat of wax on occasion and keeping all areas rust prone with some old bathroon cotton cloth towels has worked wonders.