PDA

View Full Version : What tools are you planning on buying this year?

Randal Stevenson
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
It is early enough in the year, I wondered what tools are you planning on buying (and if and for what specific project)?

I am hoping to revisit this at the end of the year, and see, if you got the project done, and has the tool(s), done what you thought/needed it/them to. Also for a list of IMPULSE tools you bought (to compare planned to non planned).

Maybe it wil help stop some procrastionation from us (I am not the only one ;)).

I will go first.
I was wanting a drum sander, or the Stockroom supply v sander. Since I also would like to improve with handplanes, I figure I am going to go with the V sander, and use a power planer and handplanes for thicknessing.
My only other planned purchases, currently are a Mini Cyclone (trying mostly EZ this year, since I have been using it more), and either a Big foot saw, or the Makita 5008 MGA.

Brodie Brickey
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm seriously considering a drum sander and possibly an osc. spindle sander.

Projects are related to a rocking chair I'm working on as well as a desire to try and make finishing my projects easier.

Jesse Cloud
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Pretty well stocked, but keeping my eye open for a decent small router/laminate trimmer - not at all happy with the junk on the market now. I hear Festool has one in the works, keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping for accuracy, visibility, and ease of adjustment.:rolleyes:

Peter M. Spirito
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I just bought a Jet AFS-1000B air filter from Woodcraft. 3 speed, remote control. I unpacked it this evening and plugged it in while it sat on the work bench. My brother bought the same one 6 months ago and loves it. His wife was complaining about dust in the house and now she is happy. I am really picky about dust control on all of my power tools including RO and belt sanders and discuit joiners but was getting too much dust up my noise and drying out my eyes.

check out my other projects at my web site; In The Wood Shop www.peterspirito.com

Todd Jensen
01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Not quite woodworking, as I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now, but I'd like to get a better welder. Also an air filtration system would be nice. Oh, and a lift for the truck.:D:cool:

Mark Carlson
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
clearvue cyclone.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
My wife is insisting that I buy an 8" jointer. It's the last major tool I need for my shop and she wants me to get it outfitted before we retire in 2009.

Like a shop is ever totally outfitted!:eek::rolleyes::D

Brian Fulkerson
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Lucky man. I usually have to beg my wife for a new tool

Larry Fox
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Goal for this year is to get rid (to the extent possible) of dust in my shop. Working on cyclone install right now and some Festool is likely next. Might be an expensive year. :eek:

Bob Antoniewicz
01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Cyclone - probably Clearvue - and ductwork as soon as the shop is done (soon now).

Spindle sander - maybe.

And I am thinking of going to separates from my MM combo. Now that the shop will afford me the room. Dunno yet for sure, though.

Bob Antoniewicz
01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm seriously considering a drum sander and possibly an osc. spindle sander.

Projects are related to a rocking chair I'm working on as well as a desire to try and make finishing my projects easier.

Brodie, what kind of rocking chair are you going to do?

Brodie Brickey
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Brodie, what kind of rocking chair are you going to do?

I'm starting a Hal Taylor rocking chair. I'm using soft curly maple for my wood. It'll be for my niece who is due in late February.

Regards,

Brodie

Cary Swoveland
01-11-2008, 12:57 AM
...And I am thinking of going to separates from my MM combo. Now that the shop will afford me the room. Dunno yet for sure, though.

I went from a MM CU300 Smart to a Sawstop TS with Jessem slider, Grizzly 8" jointer and 15" planer (both with carbide cutters) and Festool Domino (in lieu of MM's mortiser). For what I do (little sheet goods) and way I like to work, it's a much better setup, and actually makes better use of my 24' x 24' shop space.

On December 31 I bought Grizzly's baby drum sander (so that almost counts for 2008), and probably will get a 12" or larger disc sander, for segmented woodturning, which I'm keen to try.

Cary

tim rowledge
01-11-2008, 1:05 AM
Well, I just got a steelcity drillpress and 18"BS (with a mobile base for each as a birthday gift from the tool store), a nice CMT dado set and a couple of veritas planes and bits. I hope to get a woodrat sometime soon and perhaps a set of lie nielson chisels.

What, me, gloat?

Oh yeah, and I just finished setting up a new 24" iMac :-)

Bob Antoniewicz
01-11-2008, 1:06 AM
Looked up Hal's website. Nice Chair! Have you done one before? $275 for the plans sounds like a deal.

I took the rocking chair at William Ng's class. It was almost $1K and then more for the templates. But I needed to have that environment to learn. I had not done any hand shaping or anything even close to that kind of work - not even a chair - before. Doing that chair has just completely expanded my capabilities. It is a Maloof style chair, and I did it for my wife who delivered our first/only child the same week I finished. Nothing like a deadline ...

Take a look:
http://antoniew.avradionet.com/

at the bottom are the chair pics. (you can tell I am no website designer :-)

Have fun with your rocker project, and have fun with your neice!

Bob

Bob Antoniewicz
01-11-2008, 1:09 AM
I went from a MM CU300 Smart to a Sawstop TS with Jessem slider, Grizzly 8" jointer and 15" planer (both with carbide cutters) and Festool Domino (in lieu of MM's mortiser). For what I do (little sheet goods) and way I like to work, it's a much better setup, and actually makes better use of my 24' x 24' shop space.

On December 31 I bought Grizzly's baby drum sander (so that almost counts for 2008), and probably will get a 12" or larger disc sander, for segmented woodturning, which I'm keen to try.

Cary

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds great. I will keep churning it over in my head.

Regards,

Bob A.

Bob Antoniewicz
01-11-2008, 1:11 AM
My goodness! Tim Rowledge! There's a name from back in my Robland LX31 days! Good to hear from you again!

Bob A.

Brodie Brickey
01-11-2008, 1:14 AM
Looked up Hal's website. Nice Chair! Have you done one before? $275 for the plans sounds like a deal.

I took the rocking chair at William Ng's class. It was almost $1K and then more for the templates. But I needed to have that environment to learn. I had not done any hand shaping or anything even close to that kind of work - not even a chair - before. Doing that chair has just completely expanded my capabilities. It is a Maloof style chair, and I did it for my wife who delivered our first/only child the same week I finished. Nothing like a deadline ...

Take a look:
http://antoniew.avradionet.com/

at the bottom are the chair pics. (you can tell I am no website designer :-)

Have fun with your rocker project, and have fun with your neice!

Bob

Bob,

Its a gorgeous chair. You did a great job. I haven't done a chair yet only smaller projects and turnings.

Lance Norris
01-11-2008, 2:26 AM
Im pretty set, but just got a Grizzly G0548 dust collector. That should suck things up nicely.

Stan Welborn
01-11-2008, 7:15 AM
No plans really other than a domino, but I'll be looking for deals on nice planes and chisels. I plan on lumber being the largest shop purchases I make this year. :D

Mick Zelaska
01-11-2008, 7:54 AM
A more powerful dust collector and another handtool to add to my repertoire of Festool system - probably a plunge router to replace my Porter Cable.

alex grams
01-11-2008, 7:57 AM
G0548 dust collector soon, and then a benchtop mortiser. That should do me well for a while. Just got the 17" GO513X2 bandsaw, so not going to have much luck convincing my wife i need any more tools, though she does swear that i intentionally drug in extra dust lately so i could sell her on getting a DC.

Don Bullock
01-11-2008, 8:02 AM
That's an interesting question Randal. I noticed that like most others who have responded you are already procrastinating because you didn'd say what "specific project" you're planning to make.;):D"

I have a unique situation. SWMBO last year let me buy "all" the major tools for my shop (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, spindle/belt sander, 12" drill press, ROS, 1 hp DC, ShopVac, Dust Deputy - already had two routers). This year I have already bought a Festool ROS 125 with Christmas money. Yes there are some more tools like a drum sander that I "need," but they will have to wait until we move within the next few years and I'll have room for them.

My planned projects include a trophy base of zebra wood and walnut that needs to be made by March and some occasional tables/sculpture stands. The tables will be made from different wood that I already have -- Myrtle wood from Oregon - quilted maple top & shelf/walnut legs and rails - curly cherry. No, I don't think that I'll get them all done by the end of the year;), but that's my plan. Since I retire in June after 37 years of teaching, I will definitely have more time than I do right now.:D

Jack Briggs
01-11-2008, 8:03 AM
Grizzly G0574 edge belt sander with fingerboard radiusing attachment;

Grizzly G0453 15" planer;

Penn State Temp142CX cyclone;

Eaton 3HP 3cyl. 60gal. compressor.

Billy Chambless
01-11-2008, 8:11 AM
First, some context: for the last couple years, my "shop" has been the back porch, complete with Workmate and assorted portable power tools. I've commandeered a roughly 11x11 bedroom for my new shop.

Currently before the budget committee are a Grizzly GO513X2 and the "2 HP" dust collector from HF. I'm waffling slightly on the bandsaw model (started out trying to decide between the 14" at HF at the GO555!).

Next up is a router table and at some point a drill press. That's about all the stationary tools I want in such a tiny shop, so the rest of the acquistions will be hand tools and router bits.

Lee Koepke
01-11-2008, 8:15 AM
Dust collection system.

Benchtop Planer.

My wife has agreed that if I pack a lunch to work, I can put $7 / day into my "Toy Box" that way I can save for each new toy.

I pre-bought a freud rip blade on credit. So far the Toy Box has $21 and an IOU for $42

:D

Matt Meiser
01-11-2008, 8:17 AM
Thinking about a Domino and maybe a J/P combo. Both will have to wait a while but maybe this summer. The Domino is particularly appealing because doing M&T joinery is not my favorite thing--so I basically don't unless I can't find another option. The J/P combo would I think save me some room over separate jointer and planer but it depends on how the real world reviews come back. About the only other thing it would get me is more face-jointing capability so it might not be worth the $$$.

Steven Beam
01-11-2008, 8:28 AM
An old band saw to restore. Probably a 36" crescent. I think the restoration will be a fun hobby in addition to all my other expensive dollar consuming activitieshttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Al Willits
01-11-2008, 8:35 AM
Well, I'm thinking of a whole bunch of stuff, but considering I just ordered by drum sander I am pretty well set, only upgrade I can think of would be a SC 18" BS over the 14" delta I have, but it can wait.
So nothing major, probably a bunch of smaller stuff as I need it.

Projects are pretty basic, TV stand, kitchen cabinets, sideboard for dinning room and small cabinet for bathroom, that ought to take up most of the year.

And there's the required garage/shop cleaning, I still have stuff from many years ago that never gets used anymore, and that needs to find a different home.

Also getting back into tournament fishing part time, so I'll be buying more fishing stuff. :D

This all depends on how quick I win the lottery.:)

Al...hope springs eternal

Anthony Whitesell
01-11-2008, 8:39 AM
14" Bandsaw, Drum sander, and belt sander. But I have a few other projects that must wrap up first so I can make room for any of them.

Steven Herbin
01-11-2008, 9:21 AM
2008 - Domino and 8" jointer

2009 - Band saw

2010 - Retirement and fulltime wood dust making.

Although, in my family we view p_l_a_n_s as 4 letter words.

Michael Lutz
01-11-2008, 9:45 AM
LOML doesn't know this yet, but I am looking to get a SC 18" bandsaw this year. I also may get a dedicated plunge router with good dust collection. I hate cleaning up after using my PC 693 plunge router. The chips go everywhere.

Mike

Danny Thompson
01-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Bandsaw, 1st project is to resaw some Bubinga for a corner table.
LV Bevel Up Smoother, Jack, and.or Jointer for the love of the game.
Maybe a power jointer, maybe not.

Randal Stevenson
01-11-2008, 10:21 AM
That's an interesting question Randal. I noticed that like most others who have responded you are already procrastinating because you didn'd say what "specific project" you're planning to make.;):D"

Last year was spent more on tools and shop type projects, thought that still isn't done. One of the projects I procrastinated on was my carriage doors for my garage (built between 1927 and 1935). Since it is small, and needs some work, I looked into expanding it. No can do (codes, verses property size). I have since learned that I could get by with a bump out (to replace the one my grandfather did for the old boat size vehicles), so my truck could fit in it. And I will have to build a lean to, beside it, to move the lawn stuff into.

Lot's of house projects this year, last year was spent on tools, knowledge, and getting ready (made the most money I ever have last year, so I wanted to buy the stuff while I could).
My big woodworking project is the kitchen, but now that might be waiting (depends on the roof).

Peter Quadarella
01-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Drill Press, Band Saw, Jointer/Planer, benchtop Spindle Sander, Domino, another router

The drill press (Steel City) is a definite. The Band saw (Grizzly 17") is very likely. The jointer/planer (Jet combo machine?), Domino, router (Bosch?)... maybe. The spindle sander is a done deal since I already got my Home Depot Gift cards from Amex (getting the Rigid).

John Bailey
01-11-2008, 10:41 AM
If I come up with the money, I plan to purchase the following:

Large Bandsaw (in order of preference)
Agazzani 20"
Grizzly 514X2
Delta 20" (one of the old ones)
Grizzly 560

EZ Guided Saw System

Cyclone (again, in order of preference)
Oneida 2 hp Gorilla
Grizzly 2 hp
Clearvue

Depending on how much I work - retired ya' know - might get them all, might get none.

John

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Most of my tool acquisition this year (and beyond) will likely be hand tools of the Neander type. I do have my eye on a few more Festool things over time and would like to get an edge sander once I reconfigure the shop (again...) to be able to accommodate such a machine. That will largely be an operation of "material inventory relocation" to the second floor.

On the other hand, I'm debating on whether to actually keep my drum sander and/or combo sander since they both get so little use and take up so much space. I can build a bridge routing system for surfacing slabs and that's pretty much most of the occasional use for the drum sander. The edge sander would replace the combo and is more in line with my usage needs.

Eric DeSilva
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
After 20 years of waiting, I finally got a basement I can put a shop in, so in the last 3 mo. of '07 I bought a Delta Platinum Edn Unisaw w/the 50" Bies fence (used), a 14" Powermatic BS (used maybe once), an 8" Grizzly jointer (G0500--used), a 20" Grizzly planer (used), a JDS Cyclone 2000, a Bench Dog ProMax router table extension wing, and a bunch of new Festools (Domino, TS55 track saw, OF1010 router, ETS150 ROS, MFT1080, CT22). I'm hoping next year treats my wallet a bit more gently. That said, I'm waiting for a good buy on:

- Floor standing DP
- Drum sander
- Wet slow speed sharpener
- Gas welding rig

I'll probably sneak some smaller stuff home too while the wife is at yoga--looking at some LN planes and probably have to research some decent chisels.

Also, need some decent wood storage... Going to relieve my dad of hundreds of bd ft of 6/4 and 8/4 QSWO from a tree he took down and had milled years ago.

The list of projects is way too long. Workbench. Bookcases for study, guestroom. Display pillar for a sculpture. Some largish frames. A TV stand. A console-table like thing for the bedroom. I'm also committed to doing kitchen cabinets for a home we are building in the mountains.

Then again, my wife is expecting in Mar., so probably nothing gets done that can't be done in the next 2.5 mo.

John Maus
01-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I have my eye on the Rikon 14" deluxe bandsaw and the Griz G0440 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector. I am planning on building a dining room table that seats 10-12 but haven't decided if I like a Queen Ann style or one with dual pedestals.

John

Al Garay
01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
This week:

Festool TS55 with 1080 package
Festool OF1400 with CT33 package
Festool 106" rail

today
Festool RO150 with the Rotex watch

that should do for awhile until Spring-Summer

PS. I had a very good Christmas/Birthday and sold some of my gear.

Michael Gibbons
01-11-2008, 12:03 PM
What I'm planning to buy and what I actually end up with might be two different things

I would like to get an Original Saw Co. Radial arm saw with new dado set to match bigger arbor.

A few more items from Lie- Nielsen.

A second complete router table set up with master lift.

A new cordless drill.

Misc accessories fro the shop.

Ray Scheller
01-11-2008, 2:30 PM
I plan to upgrade my planer, I currently have a DeWalt 733 12" planer and I have my eye on a Powermatic 209HH 20" planer with the Byrd head. My jointer has the Byrd and I love it. Another thing everyone should think about is making sure they include a contribution to SMC as part of their tool budget. Please contribute in 2008.:D

Ed Labadie
01-11-2008, 2:45 PM
I just ordered a new broom. :D

Ed

Jason Beam
01-11-2008, 2:46 PM
Maybe a cyclone dust collector - since i've increased my square footage significantly, I think i'll need a beefier DC and I might as well get a cyclone.

Also been pondering a Drum Sander (performax style) for the last few years. This may be the year for that purchase. Maybe.

But ... before any of that ... I will be buying a pool table! :D

Jim O'Dell
01-11-2008, 2:58 PM
The first item on the list is a Makita LS1013FL. I'm just about ready for it as soon as it goes on sale somewhere for the price point I'm aiming for.:cool: Then I'll be saving my spiff money for a cabinet saw. Hopefully toward the end of Dec. Will watch for a good used one, and if I can't find something, then I'll probably go the Griz 1023 route, just not sure which flavor. :D That will just about do it for the year for me, if I even get that far. Jim.

Bill Wyko
01-11-2008, 3:00 PM
If business keeps up as well as it is right now, I'll own more festool than festool:D I'm also looking at a jointer/planer if I can find a place to put it.:o

Matt Meiser
01-11-2008, 3:25 PM
I just ordered a new broom. :D

Ed

Which one did ya get? :D

Tom Cowie
01-11-2008, 4:16 PM
some Festool stuff ,but the christmas gift card is going towards a Vertis spokeshave. I've needed that for sometime.

Tom

Bob Childress
01-11-2008, 4:24 PM
Well, I'm itching to get an MFT-1080 with all the accessories. Will have to catch SWMBO looking the other way. :D:D

2008: Hall table, king headboard, pair of nightstands, kitchen table for the Daughter.

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 5:06 PM
The "Big One" is a new cabinet saw to replace my current ten or so year old Delta contractors saw. It has served me well and is still in fantastic shape. It should make someone a pretty nice saw when I look for a buyer. Been waiting for over a year to make the purchase. Would have done it last year, but had a wedding to pay for. :eek: Now that that's behind us, the saw is on top of the priority list. Besides the new saw, I'm not sure what would be next on the hit list. As far as machinery, I am pretty sure that the next big iron purchase will be a new jointer......possibly a jointer/planer combo.

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 5:10 PM
Fred, it sounds like your next project should be a set of exterior doors for your shop at the camper end so you can rent a forklift... ;) :) :D

Frank Estrada
01-11-2008, 5:24 PM
I got a new Ridgid 18V Lithium Drill. Very nice with a life time warrenty and 5lbs more torque than the DeWalt. Though if you saw pictures of my shop you would see I love Ridgid. :)
new drill and new saw
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/drill.jpg
router table
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop08.jpg
drill press
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop07.jpg
bandsaw
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop06.jpg
table saw
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop05.jpg
planer
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop04.jpg
Joiner
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop03.jpg
Radial Arm Saw
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop01.jpg
Shop
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shop02.jpg
Shop Dog
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa103/frankton/shopdog.jpg

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Fred, it sounds like your next project should be a set of exterior doors for your shop at the camper end so you can rent a forklift... ;) :) :D

You know, that is not such a bad idea. Afterall, sometime after I retire in five years or so, I plan on adding a dedicated finishing room in the area over the camper bay. I could add the doors sooner and then use them as an egress into and out of the new finishing room.

Shawn Walker
01-11-2008, 5:44 PM
G0548 dust collector soon, and then a benchtop mortiser. That should do me well for a while. Just got the 17" GO513X2 bandsaw, so not going to have much luck convincing my wife i need any more tools, though she does swear that i intentionally drug in extra dust lately so i could sell her on getting a DC.

Why not throw in a few more bucks and go for the Grizzly 2hp. Cyclone.
Cheers Shawn.

Matt Meiser
01-11-2008, 7:08 PM
The "Big One" is a new cabinet saw to replace my current ten or so year old Delta contractors saw. It has served me well and is still in fantastic shape. It should make someone a pretty nice saw when I look for a buyer.

Fred, it looks like someone reasonably close to you is looking for a saw http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73546

tim rowledge
01-11-2008, 8:01 PM
Hi Bob - so you went to a minimax too? Amazing coincidence. I have to say I can't imagine why you would change to separates, at least in the TS+jointer+planer sense. I could imagine a slider+shaper and j/p/m making some sense I guess.

John Thompson
01-11-2008, 8:41 PM
After 36 years of accumulating and replacing this and replacing that.. adding this when needed and recently selling a few pieces I found not necessary IMO.. as of spring of 2007... I appear to be good to go.

My wife agrees with that statement also.. Fortunately she does smile and giggle when she makes it to someone and points to my shop which in our marriage is a signal to evacuate the upstairs and go make her something to justify the accumulation.

That works out very well for both parties, IMO. :)

Sarge..

Al Killian
01-11-2008, 8:59 PM
Well, there are three things that will be in my shop my summer time. Plus there are a few sanders that I will work on getting thru out the year.
17" Grizzly bs
10" Grizzly jointer
Clearvue cyclone
Exhuast fan, this is a must for refinishing and spraying.
The wife is going to let me by a few festool sanders thruout the late summer and fall. Basicly have to wait for a few projects to get done and get paid for them.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 9:00 PM
You know, that is not such a bad idea. Afterall, sometime after I retire in five years or so, I plan on adding a dedicated finishing room in the area over the camper bay. I could add the doors sooner and then use them as an egress into and out of the new finishing room.

While it was off the cuff, it's also a serious suggestion. There is NO WAY that any of the big stuff would have made it into Robert Tarr's shop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22873) without the doors and rental forklift, especially the FS35 J/P.

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 9:25 PM
Fred, it looks like someone reasonably close to you is looking for a saw http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73546

Thanks Matt. I noticed this a few minutes ago and PM'd him. He's close enough for a "Creeker Visit".

John Shuk
01-11-2008, 9:26 PM
hand tools to use building small projects with my son.

Larry Anderson
01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Got it today, Steel City 35640 cab saw... LT, Ti top, 50" fence.

Bret Leishman
01-12-2008, 2:33 AM
Pulled the cord today, one Grizzly G0630X 17" bandsaw on the way! That will be one pre-gloat.

George Sanders
01-12-2008, 6:11 AM
I really want some carbide knives for my 12" parks planer. I would like to find an older cast iron 3/4" spindle shaper; though I don't know where I would put it. I definitely am going to get a dust collector.
Projects include a workbench, bookcase, and tool cabinet.

JayStPeter
01-12-2008, 7:45 AM
I plan to get my handplanes in order this year. I've already sold a couple to allow me to acquire some others. There are a number of small things I will buy. As far as bigger purchases go, I'm keeping my eye on the Festool Kapex. My miter saw station needs a rework at some point and I'm not thrilled with my current saw. I'll pick up a lathe if the right deal comes along, but they don't seem to happen very often. I'm a little hesitant on that one since it'll lead down a purchase path I'm not quite ready to travel. So the lathe is more likely an '09 thing.