PDA

View Full Version : Jet Deluxe Xacta

Brian Fulkerson
01-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I am looking for a good, non-biased opinion/review on the new Jet Deluxe Xacta modeled after the Powermatic PM2000. This seems to be equal of quality as the PM2000 for about $500 less. Since they are under the same ownership, are the guts the same? Can I expect the Jet to be a saw that will last a lifetime? Has anyone ran into a magazine article, or website?

I am looking at this saw for my shop and I would appreciate any resources or input.

Brian

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Let's just say that the Jet LT Cabinet Saw that was in my shop for over 5 years could easily lasted more than one lifetime. The new Deluxe version adds some nice features including the riving knife...very desirable from a safety and convenience standpoint. I doubt this is the "exact same guts" as the PM2000, but there likely is a lot of similarity and shared parts. But I have not seen one up close to know.

keith ouellette
01-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a jet exacta (not the deluxe) and when I bought it at wood craft I looked over a pm very carefully because the pm was more money. It all looked the same to my untrained eye so I bought the jet. So far it works great.

Robert Mahon
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
My record stands. :(
It never fails, after I buy a new anything, the same manufacturer introduces a newer "Latest and Greatest" model. :eek:

To tell how bad that is; I bought a Diesel-Pusher motor home last year when Diesel fuel prices were lower than Regular Unleaded gas. Within 2 weeks after I took delivery the price of Diesel went to $0.30 more per gallon than gas. :mad:

It's a curse I tell you. A curse. ;)

I have a 2 year old Jet Xacta and am well pleased with it. :)

Dave Falkenstein
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I have owned a Jet Special Edition (white paint) cabinet saw for several years. I am totally pleased with this saw. I set it up once and it has never changed. It has never come even close to bogging down. I cannot imagine ever "needing" a different saw, although feature changes might make me "want" a different saw. The few times I called for advice or information, Jet has been responsive. Making a decision between Jet and Powermatic you cannot make a bad decision, IMHO.

John Barber
01-14-2008, 9:42 AM
I am looking for a good, non-biased opinion/review on the new Jet Deluxe Xacta modeled after the Powermatic PM2000. This seems to be equal of quality as the PM2000 for about $500 less.

I'm in the same boat... looking at both. There is a website that has reviewed both of them, though they don't compare the two.

Jet review - http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jxactasawrvu.html

Powermatic review - http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm2000rvu.html

The video on the site about the Jet review doesn't seem to work. Pretty much I'm seeing the same thing you are. Here are the main differences as far as I can tell...

Powermatic has built in caster system
Powermatic weighs 100 pounds more
Powermatic has a big red off button, easy to hit with your knee

Jet has a sealed drawer at the bottom for tools and manuals
Jet has an Offset box wrench for blade removal

Looking at pictures, they have different arbor lock mechanism, and the motors look different, though they use the same 4" hose to route the sawdust out of the cabinet.

With the $100 rebate and free 31" parallel clamps, I'm leaning toward the Jet.

John

John Barber
01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I emailed the owner of that website I mentioned in my last post and here is his reply...

The PM2000 is different than the Xacta in several ways, all having to do with the quality of the internal components. The PM2000 is heavier duty all the way around and more finely made. It is regarded as the best there is by many and exceptionally durable which is a major reason many people buy it over other saws. They appreciate making a larger investment one time and having a machine that will essentially last forever.
Either saw will work well. the PM2000 will perform better, longer and overall will be more accurate and easier to use because of it.