PDA

View Full Version : Look what fell off da truck-Gloat

Curt Harms
01-10-2008, 9:15 PM
After some minor shipping problems, this appeared
On the first delivery attempt, the final shipper didn't get the word that this delivery was to be made with a lift gate equipped trailer. So it went back to the terminal and came back again today on the proper trailer. The driver was nice and helped me get it in the garage. Here's what was in the crate
I've been thinking about a combo machine for a few years. There just wasn't one available that met my criteria for size, weight and price. Then I heard about Jet's new offering:). I did some research, checked out Tom Hintz' site, checked with SWMBO and ordered it from Equipment Sales & Surplus in in Auburn, WA. The machine was drop shipped from Tennessee. I had never seen one in "the flesh" but did enough research that I was comfortable ordering it sight unseen. The internet and creative web authors have certainly changed the dynamic of purchasing. I won't have it running for a while. I'm going to build a mobile base and have quite a bit of travel coming up. I only have one real concern-the fence. I'm sure it'll be fine but it's really light and flimsy feeling compared to the rest of the machine.
It's aluminum with fairly light sheet metal attachments. On the positive side, the fence doesn't have to be removed when switching from jointer to planer and back. Another benefit might be that it's easy to skew the fence to joint at an angle to the cutterhead. The only way I see to be sure the fence is 90 degrees to the beds is with a square, there are no stops to speak of. I sold a Bridgewood 6" jointer that had a very substantial fence mechanism so this one is a big switch.

Speaking of changeover, that seems fine. It took me 58 crank turns to move the planer bed from all the way up to all the way down. The planer bed doesn't need to be all the way down to move the dust hood, 39 turns from planer bed all the way up will lower the planer bed 6 1/8" which is enough to switch the dust hood. The wheel turns very easily and could probably be rigged so it could be turned with a cordless drill if one were so inclined. The beds have helper springs so they're not hard to raise at all even though they both move together.79014 I didn't time it but I doubt it takes 45 seconds to switch from one mode to the other. I was having to drag my old jointer out, use it, put it back, drag the planer out, use it etc. etc. ad nauseum so I don't see this machine as a downgrade re switching operations.

Some basic numbers-

The bed is 55" long and 12" wide. Some say that combo machine beds are too short. If the rule of thumb that you can joint stock twice the length of the bed is valid, that would mean I could joint 110" stock. Most of the pieces I mill are less than 6' which I think will be fine. If I do find myself needing to joint long stock, there are other ways and that problem would certainly not be frequent. I usually cut rough stock to length before jointing and planing, It makes for less waste. I suppose if I did beds rails or something like that I might feel differently.

The planer bed is 21 3/8" long and 12" wide. It seems to me that this could be more of a limiting factor than the jointer beds. Because the planer bed moves, it would seem difficult to build outfeed tables. I'll know more once I get the thing in the basement and hooked up. Thanks for reading.

Curt

Tim Marks
01-10-2008, 9:27 PM
you are right; that fence support just looks plain cheesy. Stamped steel support instead of cast iron.

Every jointer that I have seen has a iron casting as part of the support. Are the other combo machines built like this? The new Grizzly models only look slightly more substantial then this.

Matt Meiser
01-10-2008, 9:39 PM
That fence mechanism does look a little cheesey. Its also disappointing that you have to move the table so much. However, I can't wait to hear how it works in practice since that is all that really matters. Hopefully the Grizzly units will start showing up in real-world reviews too. If they are really worth it, I'd like to considre one of these for my shop as they seem like a good balance between space and performance.

Dan Barr
01-10-2008, 9:49 PM
Even if you did bed rails, theyre only 80 inches long or so. lol :D

i would be interested in seeing what you come up with for infeed/outfeed tables for the planer.

ciao,

dan

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 9:50 PM
Very nice, Curt!! Congrats! I may have to do a 'Creeker visit one of these days to check it out! :D

Oh, and aluminum fences are not uncommon on Euro style equipment. The fence on my MM FS350 is aluminum. That said, do keep your eye on that mounting system...I agree it's somewhat lightweight looking from this far away. Yea, only 5 miles, but... :)

Don't worry about the bed lengths. In most cases, you'll not even notice. And if you fine yourself needing to joint a lot of very long stock, working up Aigner-like extension tables wouldn't be all that difficult. And they'd be useful with your band saw, too.

Wade Lippman
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I am jealous; but there is no way I am getting a 500 pound machine into my basement.
Any chance the tables and/or motor can be removed?

Curt Harms
01-11-2008, 3:59 AM
At first glance, that looks easy, there's 6 bolts that hold the tables on and 4 bolts that hold the planer table on. The concern is that there doesn't appear to be a real frame keeping the jointer tables aligned even though they move together. I haven't read the manual yet (I'm a guy after all:o) but the table height adjustment appears to be eccentrics like the DJ20/Grizzly G0490 and I have no compelling urge to screw that up, 5 year warranty and all. I haven't opened the motor access yet but I suspect the motor would be pretty easy to remove. Breaking down parts is how I moved my cabinet saw but that was easier--top in 3 parts, and remove the motor. That was pretty easy. This might be too by the time all is said and done. I'm thinking something like a refrigerator cart, but in one piece this is a heavy awkward refrigerator:D. I want to get the mobile base done first so I don't have to pick up the whole machine and place it on the base.

Curt

I am jealous; but there is no way I am getting a 500 pound machine into my basement.

Chuck Burns
01-11-2008, 4:09 AM
One thing that should be noticed is the substantial pallet the machine came on and that it had a stout wooden box built aound it. I've been very impressed with the way WMD shipps the PM and Jet machines. And I'll bet there was virtually no assembly either.

Congradulations on your new machine. I've heard alot of good about it.

Curt Harms
01-11-2008, 4:13 AM
you are right; that fence support just looks plain cheesy. Stamped steel support instead of cast iron.

Every jointer that I have seen has a iron casting as part of the support. Are the other combo machines built like this? The new Grizzly models only look slightly more substantial then this.

As far as the jointer fence goes, I don't know what Felder, MiniMax etc. have for a mounting mechanism. The thing I may find about the fence issue is it may be a set it and leave it situation, i.e. not an issue. Time will tell. The Grizzly was my first thought but it's 100 lbs. heavier than the Jet, 5 h.p would require a bigger electrical circuit and the jointer fence has to be removed on the Griz each time when switching between jointing and planing. These machines may require an adjustment to work methods but I figured I'd take a chance.

Curt

Don Bullock
01-11-2008, 7:44 AM
For a machine that just fell off the truck it looks like it's in good condition.:eek:;):D

Congratulations Curt. That jointer/planer looks very interesting. I may "kick myself" later for not going that direction this year instead of getting two separate machines. I'm sure looking forward to seeing how you like it and how well it performs.

Curt Harms
01-11-2008, 8:29 AM
For a machine that just fell off the truck it looks like it's in good condition.:eek:;):D

It was packed well:D:D.

Congratulations Curt. That jointer/planer looks very interesting. I may "kick myself" later for not going that direction this year instead of getting two separate machines. I'm sure looking forward to seeing how you like it and how well it performs.

If I were able to leave 2 machines in place, I may not have gone this route, opting instead for a 8" jointer. Having to put one machine away in order to use the other is a pain. The problem with a 8" jointer is I'd find myself with 9" boards. Yes, with a 12" jointer I may find myself with 13" boards but I'll have to take that chance. Beside which, my wife says it's cute.

Curt

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2008, 8:41 AM
Curt,
Congratulations! The stuff that falls off trucks by me are usually rocks.

I hope you follow up with your impressions of this machine once you get to using it. If not, I’ll probably remind you! :)

I too am looking at a combo machine. Mostly to get rid of my old screamin' portable planer. I've been reading about the Grizzly and Jet models mostly because they are in my price range versus European models.

Like you, I like the fact that changeover from planing to jointing, and vice versa, is simpler on the Jet. Perhaps that is the reason why the fence system is lighter. I don't quite understand the necessity of a bulky rack and pinion mechanism on Grizzly’s fence for a part I move so little. I also don't like the idea that I have to remove it and find a place in my small crowded shop while performing planing operations. It also prevents the machine from being parked tight up against a wall for a minimum footprint...which is why most folks probably buy combo machines.

As far as the 55” long tables, I know that would be fine for me. Anything longer will take up valuable space. I’ve used a 6” jointer with a 47” long table for 20 years. I’ve found that it’s fine for stock up to 6 feet which is generally my maximum working size as a hobbyist.

Again, like you, the Grizzly is also listed as 5hp with a 25 amp draw versus 3hp on the Jet. Although power is nice, I don’t need this much power especially since my maximum circuit is 20 amps and installing a new circuit is attractive to me either.

I will also have to disassemble the machine to get it into my basement shop. I will be interested in hearing how you make out with getting your machine in your basement.

The only thing about the Jet I was hoping for is a spiral or a helical cutting head option like the Grizzly model offers. I wonder if Jet will offer this option in the future, preferably with index-able inserts versus the odd spiral knives that Jet’s sister company, Powermatic, offered.

Thanks for posting the pics and review. Good Luck!

-Jeff :)

Curt Harms
01-11-2008, 8:50 AM
Curt,

The only thing about the Jet I was hoping for is a spiral or a helical cutting head option like the Grizzly model offers. I wonder if Jet will offer this option in the future, preferably with index-able inserts versus the odd spiral knives that Jet’s sister company, Powermatic, offered.

Thanks for posting the pics and review. Good Luck!

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a spiral cutterhead available in the future although I haven't heard anything yet. I'll bet that if nothing else Byrd will offer something.

Curt

Sue Wise
01-11-2008, 9:03 AM
I went down to Tool King several weeks ago and had a service technician show me that machine. (The on-floor sales people are a bit clueless there.) I was very impressed. I think what I like most about it compared to the Grizzly is that you don't have to take the fence off. For a lighter weight fence, I thought it looked fine and not cheesy at all.

I think the only reason that I have not "pulled the trigger" on this is that I also want a spiral cutting head. So for now, I keep limping by with my older 6" Delta which all of a sudden is very much out of adjustment. :mad:

Nathan Conner
01-11-2008, 9:59 AM
See, I got a different impression of the machine when I went and looked locally at one fresh out of the crate. Part of the reason was they left me in the showroom to look at the PM 209 while they finished assembling it, I'm sure. Once I'd had my eyes and hands on that, I was hooked, and then going back "in the back" to look at this combo, I was disappointed by the fence, the finish, the size. They powered it up, and it sounded nice.

I'm really interested in your opinions on it, though, after awhile. I wasn't ready to make the leap quite yet, even though the money was burning a hole in my pocket. Something about it made me hold off. It looked like a nice design, but the execution seemed sort of...not so much.

I'm not turned off all the way, and could see it being in my future, but I'm curious about a) bed length, b) the aluminum fence, c) the Euro guard's stability and rigidity d) the striated cast in the top, e) the overall stability and weight of such a large-capacity jointer, f) the width of the planer (seemed like a step down from the DeWalt, and that just made me grumpy).

I went with the separate idea. Probably shoot for the Grizzly jointer to go with the PM 209 now sitting in the shop. After the muddy nightmare of getting it in place, re-wiring for the 5HP motor, I ran a 7' test piece of 12" Alder through. It ate it up, filled the shop with shavings (quietly, I might add) and begged for a few more. It's WAY too much machine for me, but I'd rather overdo it than be lacking down the road and want to upgrade again. We'll see how the separates do for room/usability.

Congrats, though - I know how hard it is to stop smiling after a purchase like that!

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 9:59 AM

You might be able to remove the motor, but I do not suggest you consider removing the tables. The hinging mechanism makes that complicated and it may already be factory shimmed for table alignment at that point. With the right methods and help, getting a 500 lb machine in a basement isn't as daunting as you might think as long as there is enough clearance on the path to do it safely.

Jack Camillo
01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Getting something like that down a flight of stairs is doable. But if you don't want to risk it yourself with friends, call a local moving company. In my area (Maryland) they want 155/hr with a two hour minimum. But they are insured, so if they break the machine or punch a hole in a wall, you should be covered.

Mike Wilkins
01-11-2008, 2:51 PM
Nice gloat there Curt. You will love the space saving feature of a combo like this. I also have a J/P combo similar to the Laguna machine with a cheesy fence. I also have to verify the 90deg setting with a square after moving it for planing.
Heres a thought: I have been looking at the jointer fence system that Laguna offers as an upgrade to their older J/P machines. It uses a cast iron mounting bar that attaches to the infeed table end. The fence attaches to this bar, and looks to be a beefy/substantial affair. I am looking hard at this option.
Have fun and watch those fingers.

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 5:23 PM
Curt, please report back to us on this thing when you have it up and running. Within a year or so, I was considering either this unit or the Grizz combo. I'm still on the fence about a combo, but some good words might sway me that way.

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 5:28 PM
Curt, please report back to us on this thing when you have it up and running. Within a year or so, I was considering either this unit or the Grizz combo. I'm still on the fence about a combo, but some good words might sway me that way.

Don't worry, Fred, there will be plenty of local swaying to keep you busy... :)

Fred Voorhees
01-11-2008, 5:28 PM
Very nice, Curt!! Congrats! I may have to do a 'Creeker visit one of these days to check it out! :D

Jim, if you do plan on one, let me know. I would really love to get a hands on experience with one of these. It would go a long way towards my decision to purchase or not.

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 5:33 PM
Well, that's up to Uncle Curt relative to the visit not to mention timing, but you are always welcome to at least get a feel for the combo format here, especially since you have some "sweat equity" points relative to my big tools! LOL

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2008, 7:46 PM
You might be able to remove the motor, but I do not suggest you consider removing the tables. The hinging mechanism makes that complicated and it may already be factory shimmed for table alignment at that point. With the right methods and help, getting a 500 lb machine in a basement isn't as daunting as you might think as long as there is enough clearance on the path to do it safely.

Jim,
I don't see how you can get this unit on a hand truck with the tables attached and down a typical 36" wide stairway. If the Jet or Grizzly doesn't have provisions for removing the tables, or removing them will void the warranty, this may be a big oversight by Jet and Grizzly for us basement dwellers.

Curt...let us know how you make out. Preferrably thru this forum and not the local newspaper! :)

Jim Becker
01-11-2008, 9:11 PM
If the Jet or Grizzly doesn't have provisions for removing the tables, or removing them will void the warranty, this may be a big oversight by Jet and Grizzly for us basement dwellers.

Jeff, you CAN remove the tables from a combo. But it's not like taking the top off a cabinet saw and just having to worry about getting any shims back in the same spots. The spring/hinge mechanisms for tilting the tables are not simple things and even a minute mistake in re-assembly could result in major angst.

If the stairway is straight, I suspect that the machine could be moved down into a basement shop with the right help and techniques. On the other hand, if it's curved...difficult or impossible, IMHO.