PDA

View Full Version : Play Nice while I'm gone Please

Dave Anderson NH
01-10-2008, 5:34 PM
Hi Folks,

About 6AM tomorrow I'm on my way south to Colonial Williamsburg for the 18th Century woodworking conference. This year's topic is hand tools.:D I will be away from any computer access that I know of since I don't do laptops, Blackberries, etc. You folks play nice with each other while I'm gone and you just might get a trip report with a few pix when I return. Along the way I'll be stopping at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop to visit a bit with our own Alan Turner. Have a great time while I'm gone, I'll check in next Thursday and catch up on the doin's here. Have a safe shop weekend, I don't want to hear of any emergency room trips from chisel cuts or any of that kind of stuff.

Your friendly moderator feeling in a "Mother Hen" mood right now.:eek:

Steve Clardy
01-10-2008, 5:36 PM
Nice:confused::D:D:D

Have a safe trip Dave;):D

Ted Owen
01-10-2008, 5:46 PM
Have a great trip, Dave. Wish I could be there, too.

Best, Ted

Ron Kanter
01-10-2008, 5:47 PM
Dave,
This sounded really interesting so I went to their site. The press release says that this year's topic is "Surface Ornamentation."

Just a heads up in case some wires got crossed somewhere.
Ron

Thomas Knighton
01-10-2008, 5:48 PM
Hi Folks,

About 6AM tomorrow I'm on my way south to Colonial Williamsburg for the 18th Century woodworking conference. This year's topic is hand tools.:D I will be away from any computer access that I know of since I don't do laptops, Blackberries, etc. You folks play nice with each other while I'm gone and you just might get a trip report with a few pix when I return. Along the way I'll be stopping at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop to visit a bit with our own Alan Turner. Have a great time while I'm gone, I'll check in next Thursday and catch up on the doin's here. Have a safe shop weekend, I don't want to hear of any emergency room trips from chisel cuts or any of that kind of stuff.

Your friendly moderator feeling in a "Mother Hen" mood right now.:eek:

I'll be nice if you snag me some pics of the Seaton tool chest ;)

Seriously, have fun! I'm jealous.

Tom

Dave Anderson NH
01-10-2008, 7:52 PM
The Seaton Tool chest will be HEAVILY photographed.

Ron, I think you are looking a the topic from a two years ago. This year's is definitely tools, but then again, every year has lots of neat tools.:D

Ron Kanter
01-10-2008, 9:19 PM
I thought that might be the case, but it was a press release date January, 2008.
I'll try to find more direct listing of the event. If you have a URL that would be helpful.
ron

Ron Kanter
01-10-2008, 9:24 PM
Well, I found it. http://www.history.org/history/institute/institute_about.cfm#wood
You are right, of course. I am sick that I didn't know about this in time to sign up. Both sessions are sold out.
Well, glad somebody from here is going. Looking forward to hearing about it when you return.
Ron

Bill Brehme
01-10-2008, 9:32 PM
I WANT ICE CREAM!!!:mad:;)

Seriously, Dave enjoy!!!:D

Corvin Alstot
01-10-2008, 9:35 PM
Colonial Williamsburg and Fine Woodworking celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Working Wood in the 18th Century conferences at Williamsburg during the week of January 9–16, 2008. The topic is tools. We are excited that the Guildhall Museum in Rochester, Kent, England, has given us permission to reproduce the 1797 Benjamin Seaton tool chest. The staff of Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Trades cabinet shop will undertake that project. They also will build a copy of the 1773 William Hewlett gentleman’s tool chest featured on the poster for Colonial Williamsburg’s 1994 tool exhibit. Guest speakers Ted Ingraham, Garrett Hack, and Roy Underhill will present sessions on traditional plane making, building workbenches, building and using workbench fixtures and accessories, and threading wood. In addition, we will be looking at a variety of tool types ranging from planes, saws, and chisels to scratch stocks and slitting gauges, with a load of tips and hints on “homemade” tools, tool selection, sharpening, using 18th-century-style layout tools, and other “arts and mysteries” of the cabinetmaker and joiner. There will be tool-making demonstrations at the blacksmith, gunsmith, and other Historic Area Trade shops and at the modern shop where tools and implements used by Historic Trades are produced.

Looks like there will be plenty to photograph, do not be shy with your camera.

Marcus Ward
01-11-2008, 7:05 AM
Okay, Dave's gone, it's on like donkey-kong. Someone call the beer store. :)

Have fun.

Keith Beck
01-11-2008, 9:45 AM
Dave,

Have fun down in my neck of the woods. Looks like you'll at least have pretty good weather while you're down here. Maybe a bit cloudy with a little rain, but the temps are going to be pretty nice.

Looking forward to your after action report.

Keith

Greg Cole
01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Ding dong, the witch is dead... the cat's away, the mice will play...... ok enough childish behaviour for 10 seconds or so.:D
Marcus,
You're the brew-meister I thought....?
'Bout time for some Irish Ale soon.... man I like the Boulevard Irish offering in the spring.

Cheers.

Greg

Doug Shepard
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Geez. I feel as excited as a HS punk finding out there's a substitute teacher for the day. Nuthin like a good spit-ball fight to liven things up.:D
Have fun.

Marcus Ward
01-11-2008, 3:24 PM
Marcus,
You're the brew-meister I thought....?
'Bout time for some Irish Ale soon.... man I like the Boulevard Irish offering in the spring.

I'm out of base malt and don't want to drive to overland park to get it right now so I'm also out of beer. It's okay, liver needs a rest, eh? :)

Irish Ale from blvd is heavenly.

M

Carl Eyman
01-11-2008, 3:59 PM
Oh, How I wish I were going. I've enjoyed all seven I did attend.

Martin Shupe
01-12-2008, 3:28 AM
Dave,

I sure wish I could go. Be sure to give us a full report when you get home.

Zahid Naqvi
01-12-2008, 6:08 PM
Have a fun trip Dave, we expect a full pictorial travelogue when you return.

Corvin Alstot
01-12-2008, 9:05 PM
Oh, How I wish I were going. I've enjoyed all seven I did attend.
Carl/ While we are waiting for Dave to return and give us an update,
maybe you could provide a few pictures of things you liked from previous
years (if you remembered to bring your camera).

Jerry Olexa
01-15-2008, 4:24 PM
We'll behave:D Have good trip