PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Cherry

Paul Fitzgerald
01-10-2008, 4:21 PM
Anybody know anything about Appalachian Cherry? My local hardwood dealer got a ton of it in and is running specials on 4/4 through 16/4. It's $3.95/bf for 4/4 through $10.25/bf for 16/4.

I'm getting ready to start making Wedding Keepsake Boxes (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72121) for my June wedding and thought cherry might be a good wood to make 'em out of.

I would like to resaw the lumber to get good yield. I think I could get two 1/4" slices from 4/4 or three from 5/4 after jointing and planing. And I'm not sure which would be more cost effective.

Paul

Quinn McCarthy
01-10-2008, 4:46 PM
Paul

Appalachian cherry is cherry that grows in the appalachian region. All cherry is black cherry (prunus serotina) and grows all the way through to just west of the mississippi river. Cherry has one of the biggest distributions of hardwoods in the U.S.. Each region has different characteristics. I believe that appalachian cherry has more pitch pockets in it. You might want to check that out.

I hope that helps you out.

Quinn McCarthy

Forester by day woodworker by night.

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 5:50 PM
What Quinn said. And that special pricing is attractive as long as the material is of good quality. Mike Morgan (see the manufacturer's forums) is selling very nice cherry from the same area for just a hair above that and it's FAS and almost all usable stock...delivered.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-10-2008, 9:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I believe that appalachian cherry has more pitch pockets in it. You might want to check that out.

That's actually one of the reasons I asked. I did a bit of research before posting and got conflicting information about that very thing.

And that special pricing is attractive as long as the material is of good quality.

They say it's "Prime Appalachian Cherry," whatever that means. :) I haven't seen it yet, but I'll pick up a bunch if it looks good. I just have to decide what thickness I need.

Thanks again,

Paul

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
They say it's "Prime Appalachian Cherry," whatever that means.

"Prime" is not one of the generally accepted and used "grades" for hardwoods. :D But it's nice in beef... :D :D :D Preferably you want FAS which is normally clear or almost clear at least one face. (No sap or other defects) But it sounds like you can physically examine the product...so have a great time picking out your material! That makes the pricing worth the trip. FAS cherry locally here is running between $4.50 and 7.00 a board foot, depending upon width and figure for 4/4 rough material.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
"Prime" is not one of the generally accepted and used "grades" for hardwoods. :D But it's nice in beef... :D :D :D Preferably you want FAS which is normally clear or almost clear at least one face. (No sap or other defects) But it sounds like you can physically examine the product...so have a great time picking out your material! That makes the pricing worth the trip. FAS cherry locally here is running between $4.50 and 7.00 a board foot, depending upon width and figure for 4/4 rough material.

Well I'm not planning on eating it. LOL

This place tends to be expensive, but their stock is always VERY nice. The regular price on 4/4 rough is $6.60 - $8.45/bf depending on width.

So I figure this special is either not FAS or they got a heck of a deal and are passing the savings on to their customers.

Luckily, they're about 5 minutes from my office, so I'll stop by on my lunch break tomorrow and take a look.

Paul

Lee Hingle
01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Preferably you want FAS which is normally clear or almost clear at least one face. (No sap or other defects)

Jim,
FYI, Sap is not considered a defect by the NHLGA -so a board could have plenty of sap and still fall into FAS grade. Just something for people to keep in mind if they are buying lumber sight unseen.
Lee

Jim Becker
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Jim,
FYI, Sap is not considered a defect by the NHLGA -so a board could have plenty of sap and still fall into FAS grade. Just something for people to keep in mind if they are buying lumber sight unseen.
Lee

Technically true, but for cherry, most vendors to try to supply clear and largely sap-free one face for their prime stock. Cherry sap cannot be hidden if it's not desired because it will not change in color over time as the heart will. Walnut has it's own special case for width and length to qualify for FAS and as you say, sap is also not a "defect". If it's steamed, then the sap pretty much disappears...along with the rest of the rich color. Air dried or unsteamed walnut may have a lot of visible sap.

That all said, your warning is very important when one isn't picking the boards themselves. Yet another reason you have to buy a lot more than you "need"... ;) I will say that Mike Morgan was been very good about this for me on my last order as I had some particular needs and he chose well. Steve Wall Lumber also had a good reputation in this respect. So one of the important questions to ask a "remote" vendor is will they take the time to pick out the stock to your specifications, or is it just the run of the pile...

Paul Fitzgerald
01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
I went by there yesterday. The cherry was very nice, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

But now, thanks to you guys, I know more about what I'm shopping for. I appreciate the help!

Paul

Keith Starosta
01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Being a Michigan Wolverin fan, I saw the first word in the title of this thread, and my heart skipped a beat....LOL.:eek: :rolleyes:

- Keith:rolleyes: