PDA

View Full Version : $750 for table saw?

Mark Vaughn
01-10-2008, 2:02 PM
If you had $750 for a table saw/good fence what would you get? this would be used mainly to cut plywood and 4/4 stock..for cabinetry, so it shouldn't need a buttload of power but accuracy and reliability would be nice. thanks in advance!

Jesse Cloud
01-10-2008, 2:13 PM
I would get a used unisaw.

alex grams
01-10-2008, 2:14 PM
I can't speak for others, but i got the Ridgid TS 3650. It will come in under budget and give you some room to make some extension wings. The power is decent, and i like the fence on it.

The disadvantages of it is that Ridgid doesn't make TS's as one of their main pieces of equipment, so you won't have many choices in the way of accessories (IE, you have to make custom extension wings and such, there are no factory ones).

That is just my experience. I enjoy it, it does the job, runs well, and comes with a mobile base. I can easily rip 4x8 sheets of plywood on it with rollers set up, and I am going to make some extension wings to fold up on the backside soon that will make it much easier/safer.

Greg Stanford
01-10-2008, 3:17 PM
Grizzly. the GO478 hybrid maybe? For just a tad more.

g

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2008, 3:19 PM
Older high quality used cabinet saw in good shape from craigslist and a new blade or the existing blade sharpened.

Steven Wilson
01-10-2008, 4:11 PM
I would pick a used cabinet saw (Jet, Delta, Powermatic, General), preferably from a hobbiest who is either dead, giving up, or upgrading.

Josh Youngman
01-10-2008, 4:28 PM
I have the ridgid 3650 ($550) as well. Im pleased with it, i think youll need to spend more than $750 to get a comperable machine (new).

Kurt Bird
01-10-2008, 4:43 PM
Mark,
If you're patient, you should be able to pick up a Unisaw or a PM66 for that kind of money. Check out eBay, and contact some of your local cabinet shops to see if they are planning to upgrade soon, or have already done so. There are more opportunities for these saws than most folks realize! Good Luck!
Kurt Bird

John Shuk
01-10-2008, 5:22 PM
I'd go for the Rigid. It is a really nice saw for the money with a built in mobility kit.

Art Mann
01-10-2008, 5:33 PM
Those people who routinely recommend buying a used cabinet saw obviously don't live where I do. I scan Craig's lists in a 100 mile radius and several other FSBO type papers and I have seen 1 such saw for sale in 2 years. It sold in less than 1 day for more than i thought it was worth. Some folks are forced to buy new because that is all that is available.

Unfortunately, $750 is just a little bit less than what it takes to buy a good hybrid saw under most circumstances. I own and really appreciate the Ridgid TS3650. For what it is, I think it is among the best saws and values available. But, if I had it to do over, I would somehow kick in another $100 - $200 and get one of the many good hybrids for sale or save up $1200 and get a modest cabinet saw like the Grizzly 1023 series.

Scott Rader
01-10-2008, 5:43 PM
and really like it. I'm considering purchasing a router table insert that would work on the saw from Bench Dog (http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-031-ProMax-Extension/dp/B00005RHP5/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1200004908&sr=1-1).

If anyone has this already, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

scott spencer
01-10-2008, 5:53 PM
Depends on if you have 220v or not. If yes, them I'd look for a used 3hp cabinet saw if you can find one.

If not, I'd look at a new hybrid saw. They're the next best thing to a full cabinet saw and offer several advantages over the contractor saw design, with no downside unless you need to access the motor frequently. I like the Steel City (http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=12&tool=35601), Jet ProShop (http://www.jettools.com/products/proshop/), Craftsman (http://www99.epinions.com/review/Craftsman_Professional_10_in_Table_Saw_22124/content_184778395268), GI 50-220 (http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html), Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0661), Shop Fox, or maybe Woodtek (http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=148-271) if it's nearby. Sale prices would influence the decision some, but all should be capable of really good performance with good blade selection once dialed in. The Jet is your best bet at that price point, the 22124 gets below $800 occasionally, the new Griz 0661 with riving knife is $725 plus shipping ~ $819 to your door.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:hYexkFOjBZFjJM:http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/22124.jpg

Charles Wiggins
01-10-2008, 6:01 PM
If you had $750 for a table saw/good fence what would you get? this would be used mainly to cut plywood and 4/4 stock..for cabinetry, so it shouldn't need a buttload of power but accuracy and reliability would be nice. thanks in advance!

Yep! I'd get a Jet ProShop 30, or, if I had the space a good used cabinet saw like Jesse suggests.

Josiah Bartlett
01-10-2008, 7:03 PM
Factor the cost for the fence upgrade into the saw if you need to upgrade the fence. I went with a $600 Unisaw and a Shopfox 52" Biesemeyer clone. I used the Jetlock fence for a while but it was a hassle and it eventually broke in the lock mechanism after I abused it trying to get it to hold tight.

Rob Will
01-10-2008, 7:10 PM
I would get a used unisaw.

What Jesse said.........

Rob

Dennis Kelly
01-10-2008, 7:34 PM
...and buy the grizzly hybrid. I know I've only had it for a month, but I absolutely love it!!! It will cost you a little more than $750 if you want a few upgrades though (mobile base, extension table, etc...)

Dennis

Matt Schell
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
there's a Uni right now on philly cr. for 900 so they are out there. (not mine)

Fred Woodward
01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I started with a TS3650 and it's a great saw for the money. When I decided to upgrade I shopped CL for over a year before I got a shot at a PM66. It definitely is a whole different class saw from the TS3650.
Doing a total refurb of the PM66 now and will sell off the TS3650 when the PM is completed. I could have used the PM just as I received it but chose to go through it and make everything just right and not have surprises later.
The hybrid saws were not available when I got the 3650. If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would opt to save for a full cabinet saw new or used.

Tim Marks
01-11-2008, 6:46 AM
The problem is that $750 is an awkward price. It is $200-300 more then a contractor saw, but a little short of a hybrid or $350-500 short of a cabinet saw.

For $820 (shipped) you get get Grizzly's new hybrid ("contractor" it is not) TS with riving knife. For $1100 shipped you can get their well-aclaimed 1023L cabinet saw. You could also keep your eye on craigslist for the odd unisaw showing up from time to time, if you are willing to wait. Or the odd contractor saw; you see Jets and Ridgids cropping up for $200-300 frequently.

Do you have 220V readily available or are you willing to wire it? This definitely affects your decision, since anything above 1.5 Hp (ie, all the cabinet saws) really should be on 220V.

I have the Ridgid TS3650, which I bought with a 10% coupon (provided from the USPS change of address package), for something like $475. Great saw, with built in mobile base, very easy blade alignment (never need PALS on this saw), a good miter gauge, and a decent fence. If you bought something like this, then you would have money left over to buy a planer...

Let us know as soon as you pick your TS, so we can help you pick out a jointer, planer, bandsaw, drillpress....

Joe Spear
01-11-2008, 7:34 AM
As Art Mann said, in some areas (including mine), you just don't find any good used table saws coming up for sale.

Circa Bellum
01-11-2008, 9:09 AM
I really like my Ridgid. At around $500 it is a great deal. The fence is smooth and accurate right out of the box. I found it easy to assemble and the wheel assembly makes it roll easily out of the way and still sit down firmly when you're using it. I haven't tried this, but I've been told that it's even better if you convert it over to 220 volt.

Bas Pluim
01-11-2008, 9:47 AM
Another vote for the ProShop. The fence is phenomenal, and it has plenty of power for plywood, 4/4 stock etc. Everything was dead-on right out of the box. I got mine on sale for $675 (incl. tax) - cast iron wings version. Even with a mobile base the total was less than $750. Couldn't be happier.

Mark Vaughn
01-11-2008, 1:42 PM
thanks for all the replies! it sounds like i'll go with the Rigid 3650. does it accept aftermarket fences? thanks again, you guys really help to pass the time

Scott Rader
01-11-2008, 1:54 PM
thanks for all the replies! it sounds like i'll go with the Rigid 3650. does it accept aftermarket fences? thanks again, you guys really help to pass the time

I'm not sure about the aftermarket fence, but the one it comes with has been quite serviceable.

Raul Hernandez
01-11-2008, 3:04 PM
I have the Hitachi C10FL. I've used both it and the Ridgid for sawing thick stock, and it seemed pretty clear to me that the Hitachi offered more power. (It's rated at 3 HP, but I don't see how you could actually get that off of 120V.) Still, that extra power might be useful if you're going to use a stacked dado or you want to cut thicker stock in the future.

The OEM fence and rails are aluminum, which I know puts some people off, but it cuts pretty darn precisely. There also aren't a lot of aftermarket accessories available, I don't think. I would also consider the dust collection quite excellent for a saw in this range.

It runs about $500 at Lowe's.

Art Mann
01-11-2008, 3:04 PM
I have heard of people retrofitting the 3650 with the cheap Biesemeyer from Lowes that was available a while back. Like Scott said, try the one that comes with it first. It is very accurate and easy to use if set up correctly. I would not go to the trouble of putting a Bies on mine if someone gave it to me. It just doesn't offer any advantage over the original.

glenn bradley
01-11-2008, 3:14 PM
I have a Bies on my current saw and am glad to have it. Prior to that I retrofitted a 1970's C-man contractor with an Align-a-Rip built for Sears by Ryobi. The Align-a-Rip was aluminum and worked fine. It was accurate and very serviceable plus had t-slots on every surface for jig attachment.

Again, I love the Bies, you can use it to jack up your truck and put it back on the saw and it will be right where it was when you took it off. If I still had the C-man with the Align-a-Rip would I go out and buy a Bies . . . no. I say use the stock fence and see how you like it. This falls under the 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' category. If you don't like the stock fence after using it for awhile, then worry about after-market. There's plenty of stuff to spend money on; like wood. ;-)

Chuck Lenz
01-11-2008, 4:30 PM
Again, I love the Bies, you can use it to jack up your truck and put it back on the saw and it will be right where it was when you took it off.
Remind me not to loan Glenn any of my tools, or even let him get near them. :eek:

Jeff Cater
01-26-2008, 4:49 PM
Another vote for the ProShop. The fence is phenomenal, and it has plenty of power for plywood, 4/4 stock etc. Everything was dead-on right out of the box. I got mine on sale for $675 (incl. tax) - cast iron wings version. Even with a mobile base the total was less than $750. Couldn't be happier.

Blas, It is down to Jet Proshop and Steel City for me. I don't have dust collection. Seems like the Proshop cavity would fill up pretty quick. Have yet to find one I can see up close near me so would appreciate any further reviews you can give.

Thanks,

Jeff

Eric DeSilva
01-26-2008, 5:28 PM
That is what I paid for my used Unisaw... Platinum Edn., reasonably well kept, with 50" bies fence. Spent some time looking at craigslist every day, but it was worth it.