PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Question

ken gibbs
01-10-2008, 9:48 AM
I stubled across this website several weeks ago and have read through it several times. I am finally getting brave enough to post a question.
Due to my recent divorce, I am losing custody of my 12 year old Sears contractor's table saw. I have been doing the market research to purchase a replacement and am seriously looking at the Grizzley 10" cabinet saw, left tilt, 5 hp with the big fense. This saw lists for around $1,500 without a blade. I also need the casters t make this saw useful in my new shop. Can anyone give me some advice on purchasing this saw. Setup? Tech support via phone? I have now experience with Grizzley products and am in need of some advice. Thanks.

Ken Gibbs

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Welcome to SMC, Ken. As you can see, I've extracted your question from an unrelated thread and moved it here to General Woodworking where folks can best help you out.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Michael Gibbons
01-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Welcome Ken! The table saw your interested in should work just fine. A mobile base from the likes of HTC or Shop Fox should be able to accomodate that particular model saw. Also Grizzly most likely sells a base that will fit that model. Check their catalog/website. How big is your shop going to be? Will the saw have to be moved out of the way for something else?

Heather Thompson
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Ken,

First off, welcome to SMC, lots of great people and knowledge here. I can not comment to the issue of Grizzley products, but I would suggest watching the local papers, Craigs List, etc. Here at SMC there is a classifieds section where you can also find some nice equipment from folks that are parting with equipment, I myself picked up a beautiful PM66 a little over a month ago (700.00):D. In order to be able to access the classified section of this site you need to be a Contributor, a small 6.00 donation to the Creek and you will be covered for a year, best money you will ever spend. Jim Becker has a link under his signature if you are interested, it will direct you how to support the Creek.

Heather

PS I lost custody of scuba gear, BMW R100RS and too many other things to list, divorce is no fun.

Chris Padilla
01-10-2008, 1:04 PM
I think Grizzly has the best bang for the buck regarding table saws. They have 3 very large warehouses in Washington State, MIssouri, and Pennsylvania. If you are close by, you can go kick the tires. :)

Welcome to SMC!

George Bregar
01-10-2008, 1:08 PM
5HP? I would save a few bucks and go with the 3HP. And they do sell a base for $69.

James Suzda
01-10-2008, 1:58 PM
One question that I can reply to is Grizzly's Tech support. I just called them for some advice on my Grizzly table saw and was able to talk to a live person within two minutes of placing my call. They answered my question in detail and the whole call involved about 10 minutes.
I had first sent an e-mail to their support address the day before (Sunday) on the same problem and received an answer to my email within 36 hours. (A little slower than a direct call.)
When I bought my used Grizzly saw I was missing a few parts for the slider attachment and after odering these parts online I had them within 72 hours.
So, I would rate their customer service and tech support first class.
BTW I'm very happy with the saw also and you can get by very well with just a 3 hp motor. I don't think there is anything you could feed it to stall the 3 hp motor!

Heather Thompson
01-10-2008, 2:21 PM
Ken,

I will second James on the issue of a 3HP motor, plenty of power, bring me some 8/4 that I can not cut all day long. :)

Heather

BTW I'm very happy with the saw also and you can get by very well with just a 3 hp motor. I don't think there is anything you could feed it to stall the 3 hp motor![/quote]

George Bregar
01-10-2008, 2:41 PM
Ken,

I will second James on the issue of a 3HP motor, plenty of power, bring me some 8/4 that I can not cut all day long. :)

Heather

BTW I'm very happy with the saw also and you can get by very well with just a 3 hp motor. I don't think there is anything you could feed it to stall the 3 hp motor![/quote] That would make you third ;)

Keith Beck
01-11-2008, 9:41 AM
That would make you third ;)[/quote]

Okay, I'll be fourth! :D I've never really understood the need of going with a 5hp over a 3hp. I've yet to find anything that my 3hp General can't handle, including Hickory and Bloodwood. Am I missing something?

Keith

ken gibbs
01-19-2008, 1:07 AM
My local hardware store in Harrisonburg, Virginia told me the reason for the lower Grizzley price for the same rated saw is the quality of the motor windings that Grizzley uses in their saws. My guy says that JET, Delta, Powermatic etc. uses drive motors with better quality copper wiring in their staters etc. He says the Grizzley wiring has a smaller cross section than the stock motors sold by the "big three". I am a hobby woodworker who makes custom furniture so the saw I want is not going to be used in a professional cabinet shop with eight to ten hours run time every day. I think my hardware guy just wants to sell me a more expensive saw. Does anybody out there have any experience with Grizzley products that support my idea that the Grizzley product would be a best buy for my requairements? Thanks.

Ken Gibbs:mad::confused:

Abe Low
01-19-2008, 1:33 AM
I have been using a G. shaper for many years. No problem with the motor. Grizzly doesn't get all the high marks from visitors to your shop but doews get the job done. I have a Unisaw with a 3hp motor. Never needed anything larger. The impression the Unisaw makes on fellow woodworkers is greater than the Griz. If you drive a car for the "Wow" effect instead of just getting from point A to point B, then by the most expensive. BTW, I'd also recommend a great blade guard that also captures the dust.

keith micinski
01-19-2008, 1:34 AM
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that she took a table saw. What the hell is she going to do with a table saw?

Randy Davidson
01-19-2008, 6:26 AM
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that she took a table saw. What the hell is she going to do with a table saw?

Your reading my mind. However I have been divorced once, it ain't pretty.

David Tiell
01-19-2008, 9:21 AM
My thinking was along the same lines at first. But I had an old Cman TS on loan from my now EX-FIL. When we divorced, he had no problem with me keeping it, but could have requested her to get it back in the proceedings (I did give it back to him though when I upgraded to a cabinet saw). Could be the same thing. BUT, that's Ken's personal business, and not ours here!

Anyway, Ken, everyone here is right on the mark about the 3 vs 5 hp. As a hobbyist, there isn't anything I can think of you will do that would require the 5hp. I only have a 5hp TS cus I got a great deal on it used. I would have been just as satisfied with a 3hp. I would recommend you get the 3 hp, and use any savings to buy some accessories, like maybe a decent miter guage or dado blade.

Dave

richard poitras
01-19-2008, 9:52 AM
In regards to the wife getting the table saw it was a 12 year old craftsman’s contractors saw. I think Ken; it is working out best for you getting a new cabinet saw out of the deal and not having to explain your purchase, Good luck with the new life! Look forward not back weird’s ..

Lee Koepke
01-19-2008, 9:52 AM
Your reading my mind. However I have been divorced once, it ain't pretty.
ahh, but if he ends up with a bigger and better saw, it all may work out for the good !!!

I am an optimist:D

PS: I am the 'occasional hobbyist' and I just got the Grizz 1023SL 3 hp. It set up quickly and easily, and have not had any need for customer service. All I need now is more time in the shop to do what I like.

Joe Chritz
01-19-2008, 10:33 AM
You probably shouldn't run a motor near max draw all the time so if you plan on ripping 8/4 all the time grab a 5 HP. If you aren't the few times you have to push the 3HP won't hurt it.

With a sharp blade (they always should be) a 3 HP cabinet saw will cut a lot of wood.

Remember also that a 5HP will require a larger circuit, which depending on your set up may mean an added expense. For example, when I added a shaper I was able to convert my TS3650 saw to 220 and share a 20amp circuit with the shaper. The Drum sander required flex conduit and a 30 amp circuit to accommodate the 5 HP motor.

As a 6th or 7th the customer service/tech support is very good with Grizzly. It is one of the first things I shop for when purchasing anything. The quality is very good on most things. I have a shaper, planer, jointer, sander and 2" belt grinder. All have been great and only needed minor tweaking.

Joe

John Browne
01-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Practically any contemporary 10" cabinet saw will be a marked improvement over your older contractor saw. The Grizzly 1023SL is highly regarded, and I agree that 3HP is enough for a hobby WWer.

Grizzly makes their equipment in the same factories that most other cabinet saws are made, with the exception of the Powermatic 66, which is still made in TN and the General (as opposed to the General International) which is made in Canada. Delta, Jet, Steel City, General International, Powermatic 2000, all make tools in Taiwan (more expensive ones) and Republic of China (less expensive ones). There is probably no truth to the "motor windings" story your vendor told you--if there is, this is the first I've heard of it. The REAL reason Grizzly is less expensive than other brands is because they don't use a dealer network; they only sell direct. You save significantly as a result. A more honest dealer (like my Woodcraft store) would have said simply, "We can't compete with Grizzly's prices for an equivalent saw."

As others have said, Grizzly's CS is top-drawer. I have three of their machines (BS, jointer, and DC) and would have a 1023SL as well but I stumbled across a like-new '99 PM66 on CL and couldn't pass it up for the same price as the Grizzly. I love my BS and jointer and will buy more Grizzly machinery as the need and budget allow.

Have fun and be safe.

John

SF Basilix
01-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I own a number of Grizzly tools; 1023S Table Saw, G0555 Bandsaw (w 6" extension block) and the G0586 jointer. All these tools have worked flawlessly and accurately for me so far. I've impressed many with the tablesaw fitted with a Forrest blade. At 3HP, I've had no issues at all ripping through long 8/4 stock. If you purchase the 3HP model, use the additional money to purchase a master plate and superbar (micrometer) to adjust the blade to .001 accuracy to the table top. I've been able to rip paper-thin cuts easily and most of the time they don't need sanding at all.

The only suggestion that I would make is to look for the riving knife in the new saws. The one I have has the blade protector that bolts to the inside and back of the saw. It would be nice to have a riving knife instead so for larger cuts you don't have to keep taking the splitter out.

I even have the Benchdog Protop (cast iron) router table on the left-wing (although I hear the 1023SL - left tilting - needs some adjustments to get this to work). I was able to fit this well, but only after filing open the holes a bit to get it to match (on the benchdog top).

The saw is heavy, sturdy and solid. Even on the shopfox mobile base, it works very well. Many have told me to replace the belt with the newer link-style one, but I'll wait until my belt wears out before I do that. Just like any other good sturdy saw, I can still keep a nickel balanced on end with this unit when I start it up as well as shutting it down.

Hope that helps...
SF

Tim Marks
01-20-2008, 8:40 AM
My local hardware store in Harrisonburg, Virginia told me the reason for the lower Grizzley price for the same rated saw is the quality of the motor windings that Grizzley uses in their saws.
You're right, he is trying to sell you his brand name saw. Grizzly uses motors built in Taiawan, and the motor will probably outlast you unless you are in a production should 24/7.

I think everyone but the Unisaw and PM66 also uses a Taiwan or Chinese motor. Unisaw's comes from Brazil, and I think the PM66 is still an American made Baldor motor.

Go with the Grizzly, you won't be disappointed.

ken gibbs
01-21-2008, 3:15 AM
Thanks for your help and advice.

My next Grizzley question would be to find out if any of you folks who have experience with Grizzley products have any insight about Grizzley's customer service history and how well they respond to warranty problems and concerns. I haven't talked to anybody who can testify to this company's responsiveness. Investing in a table saw is a large investment for me and I want to doit right the first time. Thansk again.

Ken Gibbs

ken gibbs
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
For once I will really try not to say something sexist or political uncorrectness so here goes. I expect that my ex wants to retain the table saw for the specific reason that I need it. The direct translation would be "she wants to keep the saw to deprive me of having the use thereof". :rolleyes:

Tim Marks
01-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Grizzly's customer service is top notch. And if you can't get satisfaction from calling them, then a post here or on that OTHER board will get the CEO's attention (Shiraz Balolia) in a hurry and he will respond. Read this thread for an example of his stepping in to fix any problems (I have seen this happen at least a dozen times). This is an indication of a company who's owner is also a woodworker/hobbyist who works hard to make sure his customers stay happy and loyal.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72962&highlight=grizzly+customer+service

Grizzly is very good at stocking spare parts; almost every spare part that I have ever had to order has arrived within a matter of days.

On the down side, one of the problems with dealing direct with the manufacturer is shipping. When a 500# cast iron machine is packed with a bunch of other 500# machines, and shipped from warehouse to warehouse, usually they are wedged in tight and no problems occur. Throw that same machine in the back of a truck by itself (or with some small crushable packages), forget to lash it down to the side walls, drive a round a few corners fast before you pull up to a customers house, and there is a strong possibility that the machine will be damaged. Not Grizzly's fault, it is Overnight or UPS or whoever is driving the truck.

Because of this, I now choose to pick up all machines at the nearest shipping terminal. I firmly believe (without anecdotal evidence) that 95% of all shippind damage occurs between the terminal and my house. Every machine I have picked up from a terminal has been pristine, every machine delivered to my house has shown some degree of damage to the packaging or the machine inside. I also prefer to pick it up at the terminal because then I don't have a trucking company wanting me to be home for a 4 hour window to wait for delivery. I can pick it up when I want, and many terminals are open 24 hours per day.

I have a grizzly BS, edge sander and DP. I would not hesitate to buy a TS from them if/when I need to upgrade.

Dwain Lambrigger
01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
..unless her name is Heather