PDA

View Full Version : steady rest

Tony Wheeler
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Im want to build a steady rest for my mustard my plans are to make it 24 inch in dia. im figurin (that dangerous in its self) that the wheels are probaly 3 inch dia dont have any yet to measure but anyhoo that should leave room for a 18 inch dia piece to fit and since you can only turn 19 1/2 anyway figured that this is close enough. What are you thoughts and ideas.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Tony.....send a PM to Dennis Peacock. I think he's already done his "figgerin' and built a couple.

robert hainstock
01-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I posted pix of my simply built and Steve Schlumpf's more elaborate homemade rigs a couple weeks ago when a similar question was posted. At that time the consensus was rollerblade wheels either new ,(eight to a package), or used at a near my roller rink. Caution, new wheeks have a mold amrk that needs to be sanded off or it will mark softer woods. If nothing shows up here, let me know and i'll send you pix of what we did. :):)
Bob

Tony Wheeler
01-10-2008, 6:30 PM
the main question was if I built the frame at 24 in inside dia is that big enough to be able to use all the lathe or does it need to be larger

Chris Rolke
01-12-2008, 8:18 AM
i have a jet 1642

showed a few pics of what i was looking to build to a friend

he redesigned it and had another guy make it
http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/steady%20rest/DSC08000%20(Medium).JPG

http://rolke.dyndns.org/ftp/steady%20rest/DSC08003%20(Medium).JPG

I can put a 16.5 inches between the wheels but i lost .5 inch on the bed because of the steel

so i can handle 15.5" in it totally

it has some serious weight to it 48 lbs

Hilel Salomon
01-12-2008, 9:12 AM
Hey Chris,

That is a serious steady rest. Does your friend want to make some more? I hate making jigs and would love to buy one like that.
Regards, Hilel

Mike A. Smith
01-12-2008, 9:27 AM
Wow, now THAT is a serious steady rest!

Tony Wheeler
01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Chris thanks for the pics yours is real close to what i am building. maybe I should take some pics although it would be hard to see much since it is all tack welded to the welding table. mine is made of 1/4 x 2 1/2 steel standing on edge bent into a 24 in circle then taking another piece of 1/4 x 2 and bending it around the outside to from a rib to form a T and then tubing welded to it to hold the 3/4 shaft that the wheels will be attached to. where did you get the clear wheels? Also most forgot how big is the inside dia?

Chris Rolke
01-12-2008, 5:37 PM
Hey Chris thanks for the pics yours is real close to what i am building. maybe I should take some pics although it would be hard to see much since it is all tack welded to the welding table. mine is made of 1/4 x 2 1/2 steel standing on edge bent into a 24 in circle then taking another piece of 1/4 x 2 and bending it around the outside to from a rib to form a T and then tubing welded to it to hold the 3/4 shaft that the wheels will be attached to. where did you get the clear wheels? Also most forgot how big is the inside dia?

inside diameter of the rings are 23"

this was a government job done through my work :)
the rings were cut on a cnc plasma cutter

the wheels came from a garage sale set of roller blades ( i think the wife paid $2 for a used set of roller blades )

so for any one wanting one

sorry

this one was ran through and kept quiet

i seriously want to say i have $10 in it including the paint
hell of a deal i say

Tony Wheeler
01-12-2008, 6:55 PM
I know goverment work I used to be a welder on the railroad did a lot of goverment work thanks for the info