PDA

View Full Version : Glueing raised panel ?

Derek Larson
01-10-2008, 8:59 AM
I watched an episode of the wood whisperer were he showed how to make raised panels. At the end of his process he put a little glue on in the center of the raised panel. Everything I have read says to let the panel float, however after thinking about it what he did made a lot of sense. By putting a little glue only in the center the panel will still be able to expand and contract but when it has shrunk it will not rattle around. i was just curious if anyone has used this method and if so what are the pros and cons and how much glue did you apply?

Thank you

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 9:31 AM
A little dab of glue in the top and bottom middle of the panel serves the same purpose as putting a pin nail in the same position. It keeps the panel centered, but also allows it to expand and contract seasonally in the direction that wood moves...across the grain. (board width for flat sawn material)

Steve Clardy
01-10-2008, 9:35 AM
I used to use a brad nail in the centers, before going to using SpaceBalls

Chris Padilla
01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Yep, I just stuff some spaceballs in the panel but you can go even cheaper by squeezing silicone caulking lines onto a sheet of wax paper, let it cure, peel them off and stuff 'em in the grooves.

Richard M. Wolfe
01-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Beat me to it. I was going to suggest using silicone but on the panel edge. I've not tried it but it seems to me the flexible silicone should have enough give to account for wood movement and even if it turned loose from the wood should be molded to the panel and provide a sound deadening bumper.

Also I haven't had this experience personally but I have heard of people using spaceballs that for some reason were oil impregnated and it bled through the wood in the face frame.

Joe Chritz
01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I used the silicone trick in a pinch before I bought spaceballs. It works but now that I "splurged" for 1K spaceballs I wouldn't use anything else. The cost of them is pretty low overall and they are a time saver. Plus 1K just fits in the old biscuit container and when it gets half empty/full I order another 500 on the next order.

Joe

John Maus
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Derek,

I've used glue at the top and bottom centers, brad nails, space balls and have even put a few together with nothing in the gap. Obviously, you don't have to add anything around the gap, but adding some method of holding the panel centered in the frame keeps it looking nice and keeps it from rattling in the frame (I found that out after construction). Don't forget to add your finish to the panels prior to final assembly. If you stain the panels after glue-up you run the risk of having an an unstained strip appear when the panel shrinks.

BTW, I will be giving the silcon bead a try on my next set of panels.

Good Luck.

John

Derek Larson
01-10-2008, 3:28 PM
Wow, thank you all for the great responses, like always the more you know the more you realize you don't know. Would someone mind elaborating on the silicone method, I am assuming you would try to make it as wide as the groove for the panel and about as thick as a spaceball .25", Is that a correct assumption and also is there a certain type of silicone you use.

Thank you

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-10-2008, 4:45 PM
That is letting it float.
That dab of glue in the center allows the wood to expand and contract without moving around in the slot.

Chris Padilla
01-10-2008, 4:59 PM
Wow, thank you all for the great responses, like always the more you know the more you realize you don't know. Would someone mind elaborating on the silicone method, I am assuming you would try to make it as wide as the groove for the panel and about as thick as a spaceball .25", Is that a correct assumption and also is there a certain type of silicone you use.

Thank you

One just makes "spaceballs" with the silicone. Layout a few lines, chop it up into bits when cured, insert as necessary. Use any old silicone caulk from the hardware store...probably the cheapest! :)

Ron Dunn
01-10-2008, 5:29 PM
What are spaceballs, please?

I'm guessing they are a small compressible ball that sits in the groove around a raised panel ... if so, where do you get them?

Steve Clardy
01-10-2008, 5:40 PM
What are spaceballs, please?

I'm guessing they are a small compressible ball that sits in the groove around a raised panel ... if so, where do you get them?

http://www.spaceballs.com/