PDA

View Full Version : Akeda dovetails

Greg Muller
01-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey all you woodpeckers out there...:p

I want a dovetail jig that I can set up one time easily, and then not touch ever again (well, not too much anyway), but get very good results. The easier the set up, the better.
I've been researching and am pretty much decided on the Akeda.

Talk me out of it or support my decision, please don't send me a bunch of other options, you will make me start the process all over again.:o

Anyone have a used one for sale? I was thinking about getting the BC24". I've seen the closeout on Woodcraft and if I don't find a used one cheap, I'm going there.

Thanks all!!!
Greg

Mark Carlson
01-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Why is woodcraft having a closeout sale on the 16in Akeda? Are they making room for the 24in model.

I bought the Akeda because it was susposed to be simple to use and had great dust collection. Both are true. I have no complaints.

Put me down for supporting your decision.

~mark

Jim Hill
01-10-2008, 2:07 AM
Greg,

I have both an Akeda 16 and also a Leigh D4. Although the D4 has variable spacing, I like the Akeda for simplicity of use and dust collection. I do not have the new dust collection unit from Leigh; reviews have been positive. My ideal would be the 24 inch Akeda, based on the type of work I do.

Jim

Dave Avery
01-10-2008, 7:42 AM
Why is woodcraft having a closeout sale on the 16in Akeda? Are they making room for the 24in model.

I bought the Akeda because it was susposed to be simple to use and had great dust collection. Both are true. I have no complaints.

Put me down for supporting your decision.

~mark

Same here. Dave.

Jim Becker
01-10-2008, 9:33 AM
Sounds like a good choice for your stated needs.

Tim Malyszko
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I have the Akeda and my only complaint is that it is very difficult to snap the guide pins in place. I need to call Akeda and get to the bottom line, because its really annoying having to fight with the guides.

Other than that, its a great jig. Once I get the pins in place, the dovetails turn out fantastic.

I too purchased mine last year at Woodcraft on a closeout deal - they basically gave it to me along with all the accessories at cost. I asked them why they were getting rid of it and it was just that the local store had too many types of dovetail jigs in stock. It could still be ordered through the catalog or website but was not going to be stocked locally.

The funny thing about it was that the Jig was featured in the Woodcraft flyer a few months later, so the store once again began stocking them. Last week when I was there, however, the accessories were once again on their clearance table so that they could make way for the new Leigh Super Jigs.

Good luck.

Steve Roxberg
01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Greg,

I'm confused because you mention getting the BC24", and the only one I see on the woodcraft site is 16". Am I missing something?

The units look interesting and I've also never used one. I own a Leigh D4 and like it a lot.

That said the one thing that bother me about the Akeda and maybe one of the owners can speak to it. If I'm correct the only way to adjust the fit of a dovetail, through not halfblind, is by changing router bits that each have a slight different diameter. Is that a true statement and do you find yourself having to change bits based on the wood species used?

Rob Wright
01-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I had a 16" jig for a year liked it one I used it. Simple to setup, simple to cut. I ended up selling mine only because I wasn't using it enough. I probably should have just kept it because now I am missing it! Seller's remorse? - that's another thread!

Yes - the fit is adjusted by the standard, oversize, or undersized straight cutters - along with the undersized, oversized, and standard precision template guide bushings. By using a combination of the 2 elements, fit can be adjusted. I used two routers with my setup, so I used a standard bushing on the tails, and an oversize bushing with an undersized straight bit for the pins. The book explains it in great detail that is easy to figure out. Download the PDF and check it out.

Oh - and I really didn't change this setup based on wood species - left the setup the same regardless.

I would not hesitate to recommend jig this to a fellow woodworker.

$0.02

- Rob

Mark Carlson
01-10-2008, 1:53 PM
Greg,

I'm confused because you mention getting the BC24", and the only one I see on the woodcraft site is 16". Am I missing something?

The units look interesting and I've also never used one. I own a Leigh D4 and like it a lot.

That said the one thing that bother me about the Akeda and maybe one of the owners can speak to it. If I'm correct the only way to adjust the fit of a dovetail, through not halfblind, is by changing router bits that each have a slight different diameter. Is that a true statement and do you find yourself having to change bits based on the wood species used?

You can buy over/under size straight bits for cutting the pins or you can buy over/under sized 7/16 bushings. I do the later. So far I've done through dovetails in white oak and cherry and I got a tight fit with the 7/16 bushing and a perfect fit with the undersized bushing. For halfblinds, the fit is adjusted by the bit depth. I have 12 small drawers to do this weekend which will be my first attempt at HB dovetails.

~mark

Greg Muller
01-10-2008, 2:22 PM
I FOUND IT! The 24" Akeda is being sold by "The Jig Store"!

http://www.thejigstore.com/products.php?typ=akeda_products

I talked to the manager of the OP, KS Woodcraft store and he stopped carrying the Akeda locally due to customer service problems from the company. Of course, this was well after the fire that burned the Akeda plant almost to the ground. The Woodcraft website has them on closeout, as I mentioned before.

Bottom line, i'm worried about buying the product if the company is unstable or about to go 'belly-up'. If Woodcraft stores can't even get good customer service, I doubt I would...

I may just hold off for a while and see if the situation with Akeda stabilizes. Who knows, maybe a big company (Papa Grizz...hellloooooo :)), will buy them out and make even more cash off me...

Meanwhile, if anyone hears any details, share the news!!!!

thank you all,
Greg

Bruce Collins
01-10-2008, 3:18 PM
As said, the adjustment for half blinds is by the bit height. Maybe it's just me or maybe my Porter Cable does not have a very precise height adjustment (you loosen a clamp on the body, turn the motor up or down while looking at a scale, and then try and clamp it without letting it move), but I have a hell of a time getting the height perfect and if it is not perfect, the dovetail is too loose or tight.

Bruce

Jon Bonham
01-10-2008, 3:22 PM
I've looked at a few and I don't own a "real" DT jig yet, but for my money, the Leigh D4 looks a lot more versatile and expandible.