PDA

View Full Version : Chicago woodworking stores?

Rob Will
01-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Nearest Chicago woodworking store..........?
Any woodworking stores in the Mighigan Ave. / Water Tower area?

Thanks,
Rob

Frank Martin
01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
There are no woodworking related stores in the Michigan Ave, Water Tower are. There are couple places, such as Woodcraft, Rockler, Berland House of Tools, etc, but they are all out in the suburbs..

Russ Filtz
01-10-2008, 7:36 AM
Go to Owl Lumber, suburban west. You won't be disappointed! No tools, etc., just tons of cool wood, domestic and imported. Or go to the Kirkland sawmill for cherry, walnut, oak. WAAY out NW, almost to Rockford.

Ben Martin
01-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Owl Lumber is a really really nice place with 3 locations, everyone there is really nice and helpful. Selection is incredible.

Check out a Berland's store for tools, pricey (which is typical) but well worth it. Very very very knowledgeable staff compared to the Borgs.

Does anyone know of any clubs or places to take classes in the Chicago area? I live in Bolingbrook.

john tomljenovic
01-10-2008, 5:09 PM
I second a trip to Berlands, you will get lost for a few hours. huge place and have
every power tool imaginable. you'll be checking out and fondling tools you never new existed. such exotica like the hitachi resaw bandsaw or fein handrail polishers, last time I was there they even had the metabo "porsche" drill.

they have three locations NW, W and SW.

http://www.berlandtools.com/