PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw 36 series

joe Katzenberger
01-09-2008, 9:03 PM
Good evening fellow $$ contributors from a Newbie in South Carolina,

I just recently joined and quickly realized the value of a $10 or more contribution. I have consumed more Blue Moon contemplating what I want to do, need to do and should have done than it costs helping Sawmill Creek stay alive. Enough said..send in some bucks folks.

My question this evening. I have found a Delta 36-812 series saw that came out of a "countertop" production shop and appears to be about 8-12 years old or young. It features a Uniguard and extended right table though the extended right table surface is poor at best. It has the standard Delta fence, 3hp, 1ph motor and a so-so miter. No warranty other than the motor runs.

For my purposes now in life, the extended table is of questionable value, the Uniguard might keep a digit or two intact, the 3hp will stretch my shops power supply and I will have to buy a mobile base to use the saw and keep the love on my life happy so she can continue to park her car in the garage.

What are your thoughts on an approximate value and desirability? Of course the desirability can sometimes cloud one's thoughts! Supposedly the saw spent its life at only one location.

Thank you from the south side of Lake Murray,
joe Katzenberger

Tom Henderson2
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi Joe-

Wander over to Amazon and check the new Unisaw prices. They seemed to be in the $1700 class nowadays. I'm also not too familiar with the specific Unisaw nomenclature but these were 3HP single-phase machines.

So take it from there. The Unisaw prices seem to have come down considerably in the last year. Delta is a company/brand in transition and I'm not sure what to make of the whole situation.

Personally, I would be leery of a machine that had seen 10+ years of commercial service so set your price accordingly.

If a new saw is $2000 or less, then I would start at about half of that for a good used saw. And maybe half of that if it has a lot of wear and commercial service.

But I'm *not* an experienced used-machinery buyer so I may be waaaaay off.

Good luck.

-TH

Robert Conner
01-10-2008, 9:24 AM
UniSaws are strong and wear well. As long as it has not been abused they seem to last and last. The wear components are few.
Make sure the top is not damaged, surface rust can be removed easily. Check the gears inside for broken teeth. Make sure the blade moves up and down and tilts, it may be stiff from dust. The newer models are very similar to the ones built in the late thirties and use many of the same castings.
That 36-812 came with a couple of different fences, the addition of a Unifence or a Biesemeyer is an improvement upon the the earlier Delta fences although they were usable as well just not as easy to use. Belts are easy to change, unless they are new I would change them, be sure to clean and lube the inside mechanisms.
As for prices anything under 1k would be worth it depending on condition and accessories, 600-700 a very good buy, naturally less is better.
These saws were the "Workhorses of the Industry" and still are the Standards by which many others are judged by.
I used a version of the same saw for 25 years in a School situation, it was 10 years old when I first started using it and is still being used today 30 plus years later. The belts are original, the bearings and motor are original, the fence has been replaced once as has the miter. It has been used everyday by up to 8 periods of Shop Classes, turned on and off constantly and used by Thousands of HS Students. Every type of wood cut with it and not babied in any way.
What more can I say.
Robert

David Elsey
01-10-2008, 9:35 AM
When ever I see used equipment, I always wonder if they are getting rid of it because the equipment is worn out or if the unit has used up most of its useful life. Always ask why they are getting rid of the saw if it is still good? Did they need a new one because it is still good? probably not and I do not want to inherit another persons problems.

I would also call Delta a make sure parts are available and the unit or saw has not been discontinued. I almost bought a Powermatic mortiser and found out the parts were no longer available.

Sometimes you do find a good deal. Good Luck.

David

Robert Conner
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Many shops replace equipment for a lot of reasons. Depreciation as a Tax benefit is one. I have also seen mention of switching to newer tools for OSHA compliance and insurance purposes, which would affect commercial shops.
I would never be afraid of used tools just because a Company is selling them.
As for Unisaw parts, I don't think they will ever be "unavailable", either new or used parts can easily be found from a multitude of sources.
Just my Opinion.
Robert.

Michael Gibbons
01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I would say that the saws worth 800-1000. No more. If it is that old, then it's USA made and parts are available. Might need bearings. Add link belts. Does it have a good fence? Does it have a dust cover for the motor? Does it have a mobile base? A few guys who have patience have rebuilt Uni's for not to much money. Search this forum. I paid $1,585 for mine four years ago at a WW show. Brand new,50' Beis fence,extra cast iron wing, blade, mobile base, mitre gauge. Thats so you have a price to work off of. A good to great blade will run 75 -115. Upgraded mitre gauge 75-300.

Ron Williams
01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I have just completed a Unisaw overhaul with a total cost of 543.67. This saw was approx. 30 yrs. old. Keep this in mine when considering value

Chris Padilla
01-10-2008, 1:08 PM
As long as replacement parts are available, some of the older equipment is often better than the, uh, imported stuff we are getting nowadays. Replace a few belts and some bearings and you'll be sitting pretty for a long, long time.

M. A. Espinoza
01-10-2008, 1:27 PM
I have just completed a Unisaw overhaul with a total cost of 543.67. This saw was approx. 30 yrs. old. Keep this in mine when considering value

Ron,

Could you share how that cost breaks down?

One of the saws I'm considering is a used Uni which will run about $800 w/50 Biese fence. Its at least 30 years old. (has the goose egg motor cover)

I'm trying to keep in mind that its a gamble regarding motor and bearing life.

Pete Bradley
01-10-2008, 2:18 PM
I'm overhauling a thrashed 1940 Unisaw right now. That's not for the faint of heart, but there's nothing wrong with good used machines. Bearings are cheap, belts are cheap, link belts are a waste of money in this machine. What matters in a used one is completeness and condition. Broken or missing parts will consume money and time at a higher rate than you'd expect. A 10 year old machine should be ok, but you need to check it out.

Make sure the raise and tilt move smoothly throughout range in both directions and the wheels lock, as problems with either of these features can take $$ and/or parts hunting to correct. Have them put a decent sized board through to identify any major motor problems. Go over the whole thing looking for cracks and breaks in castings. You'll need a flashlight to see inside.

A few older Uni parts are considered collectors items and can affect the price. These include the dust door, the early switch plates, and especially the goose egg. There's lots of good information on web sites such as http://www.sawcenter.com/ and http://www.owwm.com .

Pete

Sean Kinn
01-10-2008, 2:30 PM
I'm also restoring a 194O's Uni right now, must be the season. Fortunately, other than the puke green paint all mechanicals were in great shape. I'll add to closely inspect all castings. Most of the small bits can be scrounged up, or substituted with similar parts from new machines fairly cheaply. Castings can get expensive quickly. The vintage motors can also become real money pits if a rebuild is required. I ended up paying more than I was hoping for my saw (I just couldn't find that mythical Uni hiding in some widows shed out back for $25), but by the time I'm done I'll have about $675-700 into her. Here's a rough cost breakdown of my approximate costs:

Saw - $500 (jet lock fence, square D mag starter, and dust door included, no goose egg motor cover)
New fence - $135 (Delta T2)
New Belts - $10
New Arbor Bearings - $15
Paint, stripper & misc - $25

Maurice Ungaro
01-10-2008, 5:03 PM
Joe,
There are plenty of guys here who have revamped older iron. At 10 years old, it's not bad age wise. The production shop use may have worn some replaceable parts. I'd ask them why they are selling it, and get a price. If the price seems high to you, always counter with the old wine about having to replace belts, bearings, etc. I'd dare say you could get it for around $750.

Now, on the other hand, I bought a Delta reconditioned 36X series Unisaw from a supply house in Atlanta for $1,075, plus tax. The mobile base cost another $150. A new saw is not hard to put together (...I mean...I did it, so...), and at least, it's all new.

If you are ever in Beaufort, look me up.