PDA

View Full Version : Generic Belt for PM66

mike wacker
01-09-2008, 8:38 PM
I blew the only belt that was on the used PM66 I'm revamping. I really need to use it tomorrow. DOes anyone have a generic part number that I maight be able to get a belt from an Auto parts place?

John Aperahama
01-09-2008, 11:51 PM
its a 23in belt 4d section i think.... why are you only running one belt tho?

Jay Sharp
01-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Mike, does your Powermatic 66 have the newer style belts and sheaves. I think the new ones are 3vx profile belts and there are 2 belts. I went to a local bearing and belt shop here in Dayton, OH and they do not carry them. The salesman, at the bearing shop called Goodyear and could not order them. Powermatic specked the belt size from Goodyear and you can't order them from anyone except Powermatic. Powermatic charges a ridiculous amount for the belts and the shipping is really high. Hope this helps you. Jay

mike wacker
01-10-2008, 8:09 AM
its a 23in belt 4d section i think.... why are you only running one belt tho?

I just bought the saw used. Previous owner was using a single belt, reason unknown. The belt that was on it was a Truflex 2220. Not sure whether I'll put two more of those back on it or what. I'm going to call Powermatic tech support when they wake up this morning and see what I can get out of them.

mike wacker
01-10-2008, 9:15 AM
Called Powermatic Technical Services. Explained my saw was down and I needed it today, could you tell me the correct size belt to use? He asked whether I had a two or three belt system. I told him "three". He said "That was Powermatic's P/N 6077004, since you need to get back running today that is a belt size 4L230. A very good automotive store might have them or I would have to go to a good belt supply house." One of NAPA's wharehouses is right close and they had 9 in-stock for $9.33 apiece. My local NAPA store will have them for me to pick up on the way home from work.

Thanks for the responses. I guess the lesson here is you need to ask PM just the right question to get the answer you need. I respect their desire to make a $, but it seems they give good service to help you get going too.

John Aperahama
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Mike
The difference here is that PM stock matched sets if you want a matched set you will have to rat thru Napa's stock and still not get it right

Sean Kinn
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
You read a lot about matched sets, but with todays tighter manufacturing tolerances I have to wonder if it really makes a notable difference. Were the original factory belts truly a matched set? I can't see this being very practical from a manufacturing assembly line standpoint, but maybe I'm wrong.