PDA

View Full Version : Pics of christmas themed chest

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 5:22 PM
This chest was my first inlay work. The top is birseye maple.( By the way if you are thinking about inlaying in Birdeye don't, I learned my lesson the hard way.) The inlay is a full 1/4 inch deep. The tree is poplar. trunk is black walnut. Star is canary wood. Ribbons are bloodwood. presents are brazilian roesewood, And finally the bows are purple heart. I think there is about 150 individual pieces but I quit counting way before that. The body is black walnut with splined miters. The trim on the bottom and top is hard maple. the inside wich isn't visible is aromic cedar. Took a lot of time( guessing about 150 hours.) And once again the only fasteners are in the hardware.( hinges and hold open) The function is storage for a nativity scene for my girlfriend. ( Huge set, she gets a new piece from her mom every year). Any way thought you guys would enjoy the pics, hope it gives someone motivation to do some freehand inlay.

Brian Brown
01-09-2008, 5:29 PM
Wow! That's as nice as your Curly maple and bloodwood table. Great for a first inlay piece.

GERALD HARGROVE
01-09-2008, 5:30 PM
Very nice, I am in no way up to that yet. And just think, in a few years, you get to build another once this one start to over flow.:D

Mike McCann
01-09-2008, 6:20 PM
wow you do incredible work. extremeley nice. love the detail

Craig D Peltier
01-09-2008, 6:30 PM
Great job, love the theme too. You got me inspired.

Ralph Okonieski
01-09-2008, 8:42 PM
Incredible ! Excellent skill and patience. Wow!