PDA

View Full Version : Wax stick vs. paste wax?

Wilbur Pan
01-09-2008, 2:27 PM
I've made a few items so far (bowls and bottle stoppers), and have had pretty good results with Liberon Woodturners polish, which apparently is a shellac based sealer, followed by the Liberon wax stick and buffing on the lathe. I'm planning to take an excursion to the local Woodcraft this weekend, and maybe getting some paste wax while I'm there.

Besides the paste wax coming in more shades, what are the pros/cons of using paste wax vs. a wax stick?

robert hainstock
01-09-2008, 3:29 PM
I've used paste wax for over fifty years, and still have some in the original can, plus 3/4 of a new can. It will always be softsoft,gut is useful in some situations/ If the piece is going to be handled---No way! If it going to sit and be admired, i is good stuff. also great for making bare netal parts move easier, and protecting them. from rust. :confused::confused:
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
01-09-2008, 7:27 PM
I have to agree with Robert. The paste wax is not really useful for things that are going to be handled, but that really nice bowl with all the wormholes that's going to be sitting on the matle, yes, the paste will give you a pretty good finish.

Kevin McPeek
01-10-2008, 8:48 AM
Although getting the wax out of the holes might be a pain.
I usually make utility stuff so I don't use a lot of wax, I probably use more on the lathe bed and tool rest than I do on stuff that comes off the lathe. That said, the only other places I use wax is when I buff on the Beall and that is when they aren't utility pieces, and on pens as a final thing but that is to keep finger prints off the shiny stuff. I know the wax will wear away quickly but it keeps you from wiping stuff down all the time.

Paul Engle
01-10-2008, 1:57 PM
I use Minwax for items that sit ..... and metal surfaces , just make sure if you do , that you let it dry good and buff it nice.