View Full Version : difference between belt & disk sander?

Jeff Clow
01-09-2008, 2:17 PM
I am considering getting a belt/disk sander combo. I got thinking, but could not answer the question:
When is one better than the other?
There must be some jobs that are better to do on the belt (6X48), and some better on the disk (12"). I just couldn't figure why I would use one over the other.
Help me out.

Thanks
Jeff

Jason Beam
01-09-2008, 2:32 PM
On a belt sander, if i need a goodly-sized flat surface, i found it's easier to use the belt sander. The platen makes it real easy to get an acceptable flat surface.

When doing outside curves, i've found it easier to use the disc sander and kind of pivoting on the table to get that shape faired.

Inside curves, though, are pretty exclusively around the idler on the belt sander. Tough to do inside curves on a disc sander, really.

It ultimately comes down to this: Whichever one gets the job done at the time. Which job depends on the nature of each job. There really isn't a laundry list of very many rules that you can use to filter the decision through. Try 'em, you'll find which one feels best with each circumstance.

Mike Henderson
01-09-2008, 2:32 PM
You don't say what kind of work you're doing, but for furniture I never use a belt sander. A belt sander is more agressive than a ROS and it's easy to gouge the work with it.

But some people get very good with a belt sander. I have a couple of friends who use a belt sander on veneer work. Me - I'd be scared to death of getting a belt sande even close to my veneer work - or any of my other work.

Mike

Jason Beam
01-09-2008, 2:40 PM
You don't say what kind of work you're doing, but for furniture I never use a belt sander. A belt sander is more agressive than a ROS and it's easy to gouge the work with it.

But some people get very good with a belt sander. I have a couple of friends who use a belt sander on veneer work. Me - I'd be scared to death of getting a belt sande even close to my veneer work - or any of my other work.

Mike

I think he was asking about those combo belt/disc sanders but i could be wrong. I agree that handheld belt sanders are beyond my finesse. I don't own one - haven't needed one yet.

Bill Huber
01-09-2008, 2:43 PM
I would like to know myself, I have a small disk/belt that I have never used the disk on.
The only thing I could come up with was with a disk the speed gets faster and would cut faster as you moved to the edge of the disk.

I got a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander and really like it.

Jeff Clow
01-09-2008, 2:45 PM
I was speaking of the sationary 6X48 belt, 12" disk units. Everybody (Delta, Grizzly, Jet, etc) seems to put out combo units, but it seemed to me that most jobs could be done on either one, with the exception of inside curves, as stated above.
I have used both in other peoples shops, but haven't owned one, so don't have the experience to see why one would be better suited to a particular job over another.

Jeff

Joe Vee
01-09-2008, 3:09 PM
Jeff,

I have a friend who has a woodworking business. He told me not to get a disk sander smaller than 12 inches. It appears that is what your are looking to buy.The Grizzly G1183, will fit the bill. Good luck

Joe

Jim Podsedly
01-09-2008, 3:27 PM
I have the Rikon and use it all the time. (6x48)

The belt is good for flatwork and the round end works great for inside curves.
The disc is great for outside curves. I can sand 'to the line' with the disc sander. I also use the disc to true up pen blanks prior to putting them on the lathe.

just my .02.
Jim

Mike Golka
01-09-2008, 3:45 PM
I use a combo as well, not a 12" disk though:(. I, like thoose before use both the belt and disk for different situations. For the really big disk jobs I have a homemade 12" disk on my lathe.

Bill Huber
01-09-2008, 6:32 PM
So from what I see there is not much need to have a disk if you have a horizontal belt sander like the Ridgid.

You get a spindle sander and the advantage of a belt and disk.

glenn bradley
01-09-2008, 6:51 PM
I'm with Jason on this one. I use the belt more than the disc but I use the whole tool very little. I mostly ROS or hand-sand. Just to reverse myself; on the little reindeers I made for Xmas I used the belt along with drums in the DP quite a bit. I really don't like using drums in the DP though. That just has to do with the types of things I make, its different for everybody.

Jim Becker
01-09-2008, 8:05 PM
Jeffrey, I have the Grizzly G1276 6"x48" + 12" disk unit. It works just fine. Unfortunately for my needs, I should have bought an edge sander...I've only used the disk once and that was largely due to convenience. Most of the sanding I've done with it has been on the belt and it's limited length means I cannot use it for some of the things I'd really like to use it for...like truing the top and bottom edges of cabinet doors.

The reason I bring this up is merely to suggest to you that you carefully consider what you actually want to do with a sander and then pick the machine type accordingly.

Bruce Page
01-09-2008, 9:52 PM
I have an older Delta sanding station. I use the disk 80% of the time. If I need to rough out something quickly I use the belt that’s a coarse 36 grit.
The belt is much eaiser to replace than the disk.

Dale Lesak
01-09-2008, 9:54 PM
I Have a Delta 6/48-12 disk. I use the belt for wood and the disk works great to metal.