PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose which sander to keep

Dan Lyman
01-09-2008, 1:31 PM
I currently have 2 sanders and have not not used either one very much yet. I have had the Jet 12" disc sander, a real nice tool and the Grizzly G1140 belt sander that I found a good deal on.

Is there a benefit to keeping both units? Space is tight and I could use the cash for something else. Seems the belt sander would be able to do what the disc sander can do and then some. I think dust collection is better on the Jet though which is a plus.

Hoping to get some opinions from folks with a little more experience on these tools.

Thanks

Dan

John Bush
01-09-2008, 2:51 PM
I had a 6"x48"belt/ 9" combo sander and never used the disc. I have the 1140 now and find myself using it quite frequently. Much more than I thought. I plan to upgrade to the oscillating model sometime when my wife is out of town.

Bill Wyko
01-09-2008, 3:13 PM
Whaddya want for the jet?:D

Dan Lyman
01-09-2008, 10:26 PM
John,
Sounds like you do business the same way I do. I'ts always a battle, so I don't want to get rid of the disc sander and then regret it later.

Bill - Maybe if you were closer

Brian Kent
01-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I used to use the disk part along with the miter to get touch up angles on cuts. I have used it less recently since I started using a more accurate table saw and a shooting board for hand-saw cuts.

I use the belt part all the time, both for shaping and sanding. I could live without a disk.