PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Harbor Freight 2HP DC

Jason Brown
01-09-2008, 1:27 PM
Hi all-

I just received my HF DC system and set it up last night. Some caveats to this review: This is my first dust collection system, and haven't actually turned the system on yet. However, I wanted to give my first impressions and experiences in setting it up. I will update this post when I get power hooked up to the system (something this weekend, hopefully), and also when I get new filter bags or filter canister. I will try and post pictures as well.

The box arrived in good condition, and was packed well (mainly styrofoam packaging). I sometimes worry about the packaging when ordering from Grizzly or HF, as I have read many horror stories here on SMC. I unloaded the pieces and hauled them downstairs to my basement workshop (that motor is darn heavy!). Checking all of the major pieces (base plate, blower, parts bag, casters, etc.) everything seemed to be there. I opened the instructions and began assembly.

Now, I understand that these machines are built in China and/or Taiwan, and therefore don't necessarily expect a well-written, detailed instruction manual. However, if you order one of these DC systems, take the assembly instructions as a LOOSE guide only as to how to put the system together. The very first step in assembling the system is to bolt the casters on to the base plate. The instructions say to do this with the included M6-1.0x10 hex screws, M6 washers, and M6 nuts. However, the only thing that fit the M6-1.0X10 bill were not, in fact, hex screws, but phillips head screws. Once I figured this out after about 10 minutes of looking through every nook and cranny of the boxes to see if I missed another parts bag, I actually started to assemble the thing.

From there, the assembly went relatively quickly, and the next snag came up when the instructions said to bolt the supports to the base plate with M10-1.5X16 hex screws, washers and nuts. However, there were about 20 of these size hex screws and exactly 4 nuts. There were also 4 M10-1.5X20 hex screws, so I was skeptical that they didn't just forget the additional 20 nuts. I discovered that these screws hold pretty securely by just screwing them directly into the base plate. However, the base plate isn't the strongest of materials (powder-coated aluminum?), so I may contemplate adding nuts on the underside at some point. The M10 nuts were indeed for the longer hex screws, which mount the motor to the motor bracket. However, the instructions don't actually tell you that that's what they're for (they don't mention them at all, except in the parts list).

The instructions also never mention adding the third support bracket to the base plate, so when it came time to add the collar that the dust bags attach to, it wasn't an easy task until I again realized that there was an additional support still sitting in the box.

Poor instructions aside, however, the fit and finish of the DC are satisfactory, and there were actually enough parts of some correct type or another in the parts bag to assemble the thing in an apparently correct manner. However, it's difficult to claim that it's truly correct, as the instructions don't match what you get in the box. I understand you get what you pay for, and this is a cheap 1 to 2HP system. I will post more info when I plug it in and start cutting!!

Cheers,
Jason

Billy Chambless
01-09-2008, 2:06 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the review. I'm especially looking forward to your use report, as I'm considering picking up the same unit this weekend.

Tim Marks
01-09-2008, 2:27 PM
Maybe too late for you, but someone else can benefit. Here are some step by step assembly directions with pictures.

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/Tools/HFDC%20Docs/Cian%27s%20HFDC.htm

Now I urge you to head over to Wynn Environmental, and buying their fabric filter canister for $130. The stock bag on the HFDC is generously rated at 35 micron, which means it pushes a dangerous cloud of particles into the air. The Wynn canister will also give you the side benefit of a significant jump in cfm, since it has much more surface area to let air escape.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Jim Podsedly
01-09-2008, 3:34 PM
Jason,

I have the same DC. I agree the instructions were pitiful.

I changed out the 35 micron stock bags for the Wynn 1 micron bags. What a world of difference. I am going to eventually put on a canister filter from Wynn but for now the 1 micron will have to do.

I finally ran 4" thin walled pvc in my shop and no longer need to drag the DC unit around to the machine i am currently using. I am using the lone ranger blast gates and they turn on the DC everytime i just open the gate i need.

Not really a proponent of HF tools but this one has worked out for me.

Jim

Curt Harms
01-09-2008, 5:11 PM
I've heard of cases where people change the top filter to either a canister or needle felt bag and leave the original 30+ micron bag on the bottom:eek:. I have the wynn spun bond poly canister filter on top and plastic bags on the bottom. It's not a cyclone but it ain't bad.

HTH

Curt

Randal Stevenson
01-10-2008, 2:19 AM
There doesn't seem to be much cost difference between the Grizzly and the Wynn filters and the Grizzly comes with the flapper. I am looking at that, verses my time to build one (long list of to do's).

Anthony Whitesell
01-10-2008, 7:55 AM
Don't be surprised if the bolt sizes are as inexact as the instructions. I have purchased several items from HF that required assembly (most notably a couple of mobile bases). When I went out to get missing nuts and bolts, I took one with me to match up and they didn't match anything metric or SAE.

Michael Jenuwine
01-10-2008, 8:07 AM
I concur with Jason's review. I assembled my HF DC last week, and am waiting to get my canister filter from Wynn (it's supposed to ship today). Figuring out the hardware was by far the most difficult part, and I would have had an easier time if I had never opened the instructions, but just looked at the photo on the cover instead.

alex grams
01-10-2008, 8:46 AM
I am in the same situation with you Randal. The price drop of the grizzly 2hp with canister down to 425 has made me make that my choice.. now to just bite the bullet.

David Wilhelm
01-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Have any of you ever heard of this unit? http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/Dust%20Collector%20UFO101.htm price seems right and i've talked with a guy that seems to be happy with his.

Dave Dye
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm going to keep my eye on this thread. I am within a week or two of buying a DC unit. I'm looking at smaller units due to 110v constraint. Currently looking at the Grizzly G1028.

Jason Brown
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Well, it's been a while, but I finally have my Harbor Freight DC unit where I want it. It was something of a multiple-stage process, but it is now an official member of the shop.

I first installed it on it's own 20A dedicated circuit, and fired it up with the existing 30 um bags installed. It spun right up, and I could feel considerable air movement around the shop as it operated. It's noisy, but certainly quieter than the shop vac. I just had to run some test cuts, just to see the effect of having DC. It didn't make a larrge difference for my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw, but I think this is due more to the diesign of the saw, rather than a limitation of the DC. While it certainly kept the lower wheel enclosure dust free, there is no appreciable suction above the table, and therefore a fair amount of dust still gets generated right near my face. I believe Bill Pentz also warned of this, and recommended installing a small duct to the blade guard. I will be investigating a way to do this in the near future.

As far as the table saw, I just have a cheapo direct-drive Craftsman, and needed to install a dust shroud. I cut a piece of plywood to fit between the saw and the base, and installed the shroud in the plywood, and hooked up the ducting. In this case, the dust collection is great. Especially with the blade guard installed, there is very little dust or chips which appear to escape.

Even with the 30um bags installed, I only noticed the shop being cleaner than usual. However, to be perfectly honest, I didn't spend that much time in the shop. Perhaps if I had used it more and generated more dust, it would have been apparent.

However, knowing the dangers of fine particles, I went ahead and purchased the Wynn 35A filter kit, and it arrived late last week. The conversion was easy (and the instructions were clear). I was struck by how much this kit has reduced the overall height of the DC system. It now measures 66" tall, down from about 76" with the bags installed (and hook), which can be pretty advantageous in a low-headroom basement shop like mine. Anyway, I made some additional test cuts with the canister filter installed, and haven't noticed a large difference in suction. However, I do presume that the air quality has improved with the finer filter.

Next up, installing some 2" ducting on the bandsaw blade guard, and for the router and mitre saw.

Cheers,
Jason

David Parker
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm going to keep my eye on this thread. I am within a week or two of buying a DC unit. I'm looking at smaller units due to 110v constraint. Currently looking at the Grizzly G1028.

Be sure to check out the DC review in the March issue of Wood magazine. They reviewed 15 DC's and all but 2 can run on 110 volt power. In summary, the Delta 50-760 (110/220v) and Grizzly G1029Z (220v only) were the top two units with the Penn State DC2000B a close runner-up. This was based on "their ability to overcome static pressure losses while achieving high CFM". The Delta and Penn State come with 1 micron bags, the Grizzly with a 2.5 micron bag. It's a well researched and nicely written article with lots of static pressure vs. standard CFM curves.

I'll hopefully be getting the Delta 50-760 shortly and plan to add a Thien-like cyclone-lid can into the circuit just before the Delta.

Dave

Ben Cadotte
02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I also have the HF 2hp version. I got the DC and their Canister filter for $318 including delivery charge ($10). Mine assembled fairly well except for 1 screw stripping. I have not tried it with the included 30 micron bag. I installed the cannister right off the bat. It is quite a bit quieter than I expected. I roll mine around from machine to machine. I also have a woodstock 2 stage lid on a metal 30 gallon trash can connected to it. The combination works very well and I don't have to mess with those plastic lower bags as often. I almost bought a 3 hp grizzly cyclone system and was going to hard mount everything. But since I will be upgrading my equipment in the next couple years I thought going portable is the best bet for now. Short of the motor failing within a couple years, I think its worth the price I paid.

Joe Vee
02-18-2008, 1:02 PM
Hey gang,

I bought one of the HF 2HP 70Gal DC and have been using it for several months. I live close enough to a HF store, I bought it there. It does a good job for my power tools. I'm sure the name brand units with similar ratings work as well or better, but at a significantly higher price.

Joe

Bill White
02-18-2008, 3:17 PM
I added the 1 micron bags (from Highland Woodworking). THrew the 30 micron bags in the trash. Am well pleased with dust collection, and the money was right.
Bill

John Hixon
02-18-2008, 3:41 PM
Have you looked at the Steel City 1HP?

Todd Hyman
02-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Next up, installing some 2" ducting on the bandsaw blade guard, and for the router and mitre saw.

Cheers,
Jason

I would like to see what you come up with once you're finished.