PDA

View Full Version : Good, reliable bench grinder?

Kevin Kelly
02-27-2004, 1:59 PM
I have Woodcraft's slow-speed grinder, and the bearings are on their way out. It's a year and a half old. Can someone recommend a good solid 8" grinder that will last a while? I'm not sure i can swallow the Baldor price tag at the moment, but i sure would like something solid. Thanks.

Steven Wilson
02-27-2004, 4:54 PM
I have Woodcraft's slow-speed grinder, and the bearings are on their way out. It's a year and a half old. Can someone recommend a good solid 8" grinder that will last a while? I'm not sure i can swallow the Baldor price tag at the moment, but i sure would like something solid. Thanks.

If you want solid then look at the Baldor. If you want to spend a bit less then consider the 7" Baldor.

Carl Eyman
02-27-2004, 6:25 PM
Take the end caps off, remove bearings, bring to your friendly bearing store, they'll give you new ones for maybe $10 the pair. Put them in and you're good for another 15 years.

Or, option 2, bring it to your local motor rewind shop and have them do it. I'm guessing $25 - $30 in this case.

Bud Duffy
02-27-2004, 6:39 PM
Or if you dont want to do what carl says just box it up and send it to me and i will change the bearings for you and i would even test it out for you for a couple of years just to make sure that the bearings are good!! :p Bud