PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Gloat

Steve Roxberg
02-27-2004, 1:56 PM
I got a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 smoother yesterday at the Woodcraft sale, and my Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw arrived today via UPS.

What a weekend I have to look forward to.

Donnie Raines
02-27-2004, 1:58 PM
Ok..now did you get the York pitch smoother...or the standard angle?

DonnieR

Dave Anderson NH
02-27-2004, 4:44 PM
You will never regret either purchase. I have both items. When you get the chance, pick up the extra frog for the LN 4 1/2. The 45 degree is easier to push and works great most of the time, but when you have squirrely grain that York Pitch frog really makes a difference. I expect to see lots of pictures of dovetailed projects and hand planed surfaces. You are out of excuses now.

Steve Denvir
02-27-2004, 8:44 PM
Hi Steve. The L-N 4 1/2 was the first really good hand tool I ever owned(courtesy of SWMBO), and after many infills, custom planes, etc, is still my favourite. Enjoy it, it's a great plane.

Steve

Steve Roxberg
02-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Ok..now did you get the York pitch smoother...or the standard angle?

DonnieR

Ahhh, I got the one they had at Woodcraft. I'll assume it's not the York pitch.

How much do they get for the extra frog? I love quilted and tiger wood, so it might be nice to have.

Tom Scott
02-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Steve,
I ordered mine direct from L-N and had them install the York pitch at no additional cost. But, you can still order the additional frog from the L-N site for $75.

Tom

Steve Roxberg
02-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Steve,
I ordered mine direct from L-N and had them install the York pitch at no additional cost. But, you can still order the additional frog from the L-N site for $75.

Tom

Thanks for that info, I visited their site and I do have the regular pitch. How hard is the Frog to swap in an out?

Does it really make a big difference on figured wood?

I have a Stanley 5 /14 Junior Jack with an upgrade Hock blade and chipper.

A Record 60 1/2 block

And now the Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 non-york.

I don't envision using a number 7 or longer yet, so my next plane should be what?

I'm considering the Lie-Nielse rabbeting block plane, a Veritas scrapper plane, or someone's shoulder plane.

Thanks for the help guys, it's weird seeing curls on the floor next to the bench instead of dust, and nicer too.

Alan Turner
03-01-2004, 11:43 AM
I would vote for the LN rabbet block, or the LV shoulder plane. You have a fine collection started; it gets really slippery from here on out!
Alan