PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #45

Sam Yerardi
01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a mint Stanley #45 with all of the irons and use it regularly. My question is does anyone know of or have any experience making/using custom irons?

harry strasil
01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I have several 45's I use, and a couple of 55's considered making some of the second set of knives for the 55 by using W1 steel the proper thickness and setting up an angle jig in my Bridteport mill to make the cutters. FWIW, got disabled so haven't tried it yet.

Clint Jones
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Contact Jim Reed. I dont think he is a member of this forum. Send me a pm and I can give you his email address. -Clint

Jake Darvall
01-10-2008, 2:32 AM
I have some experience. Don't mind offering what I know.

Sam Yerardi
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jake. I appreciate it. All of the shaped cutters that are in my set are beads of different sizes. There's also one sash. Is it possible to make ovolos and such? If I make them, do I need any modifications or new components for the plane itself?

Thanks

Jim Koepke
01-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks Jake. I appreciate it. All of the shaped cutters that are in my set are beads of different sizes. There's also one sash. Is it possible to make ovolos and such? If I make them, do I need any modifications or new components for the plane itself?

Thanks

The 45 needs cutters that cut to the same depth on both sides. Other than that, what is between the skates can be of any reasonable shape, as long as you do not try to cut below the skates. There are fluting cutters available, but these are made to be used with only the main section and a fence.

I was going to suggest looking for Jake's old threads on his uses of the 55. I see he has chimed in.

Jim

If you could kick in the pants the
one responsible for your troubles,
you wouldn't sit for a month.

--Theodore Roosevelt

Sam Yerardi
01-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Jim. I will check out posts.

James Hart
01-11-2008, 1:10 PM
Just yesterday I was reading a story in FWW where the author showed detailed steps for making custom blades for the 45. Might want to search their site.

Jim

Sam Yerardi
01-11-2008, 2:30 PM
What issue was it?

Jake Darvall
01-11-2008, 4:40 PM
Sorry I took so long to respond Sam.

I like to experiment a fair bit. Occationally when something works I show it off. This is with a 45.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=43862

This is with a 55.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59553

There's a few more around, but I've forgotten where they are.

But essentially you can cut most profiles just with a stanley 45 main body and fence. Its based on orientating the timber vertically, making the cut on the opposite face, and by adding a deeper face to your fence and employing a left hand depth stop ( not necessary, but its good to have). Surprisingly very stable.

I've got a whole heap of various test cuts in the shed. I'll try and get a chance to take a photo of them with their matching blades when I can if still interested. May give you some ideas.

Jake Darvall
01-11-2008, 5:15 PM
Remember now. this one too.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72102&highlight=panel+raising+couple+planes I really like the simplicity of the idea. Just need an old plane.