PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a lathe

George Konis
01-09-2008, 2:30 AM
Hello all,

I found this old lathe in my granddads old shop, The motor is still working but the tool rest is missing as well as the tailstock(?). The construction is differenent from standard lathes and im guessing this could be a sorby lathe?. On top of the motor theres the name ELIN stamped.

Where can i find a toolrest and a tailstock that is compatible with this design? Do they sell them anywhere?
Hopefully i could use this lathe for beginning my turning "carreer" :D

Ps. Greetings from sunny Cyprus!

Bob Hamilton
01-09-2008, 3:50 AM
Hi:
Robert Sorby Co. manufactures lathe tools and accessories, but not lathes that I know of. Record makes a few models that are based on a round bar bed like yours. The critical dimensions for compatablity would be the centre to centre distance between the bed bars and the height from the top of the bars to the centre of the drive spindle.

http://www.recordpower-usa.com/lathe.htm

Take care
Bob

Bill Stevener
01-09-2008, 6:48 AM
Hi George,

Personally, I don't think you have a lathe there. It looks more like a special gig fixture of sorts.
I for one would not like to turn on it as it looks like direct drive. 1800 rpm right off the get go would be exciting.
However, if the motor is VS, now that's another story.
Good luck.

George Konis
01-09-2008, 9:11 AM
Thanks for the replies,

I dont know if its a lathe or not, but it was used as a lathe, I found it along with a bunch of various turnings. Anyhow, i looked some more there and i found two more components. As for the VS, cant you install some kind of VS control? I m guessing its gonna be expensive :D

Does recordpower sell individual parts?

Regards

George

Bill Stevener
01-09-2008, 9:40 AM
Just noticed the switch on the motor mount of sorts. Have you tried to plug it in, it may have VS????:confused:

George Konis
01-09-2008, 9:48 AM
I did check that, its forward /reverse

Jim Underwood
01-09-2008, 10:17 AM
You might check over there on the Old Woodworking Machines website for information. If I remember correctly, they have a forum somewhere too.

You can't find any tag or embossing or numbers on it anywhere?

If you can find numbers, you might be able to unearth something with a Google search.

Seems to me I saw one like this somewhere. Looks a little like the old Sears deal.

Does the tail stock fit on those rods somehow? And where is the base for your tool rest?

Jim Underwood
01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Did a Google search on "Elin Motor" and it appears that Siam Elin Motor company is in ***Edit*** Thailand. (Oops. Siam electronics is in India)

Must be an import of some kind.

robert hainstock
01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
It looks to be a twelve in by 36 to 48 in. capsitiy, what kind of threads on the headsstock? If it is twelve in. Parts from the old Sears two tube lathe might work if you can find one.Meanwhile keep looking especially in boxes. Those parts gotta be somewhere. Good luck.:eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Nathan Hawkes
01-09-2008, 3:16 PM
I looked on the old woodworking machines site, www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com) , and did not see an entry for Elin of any kind. I'd look for other markings around it, or check through the website.....there's QUITE a few mfr's there. Good luck