PDA

View Full Version : The Wave Pen

Jon Lanier
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Here is an attempt of a "Wave Pen." I used a scroll saw to create the 'Wave" and insert a then veneer and glued all back up. My wife said this is her favorite Wooden pen I've done so far.

The pen blank is Mahogany and the "Wave" is four pieces of Birds Eye Maple Veneer (scrap) . This is a Black Titanium Euro.

Mike A. Smith
01-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Now THAT is cool! Nice work Jon.

Mike Vickery
01-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Very nice, just curious did you do it based on Ron Sardo's tutorial?

Jon Lanier
01-09-2008, 2:22 AM
Very nice, just curious did you do it based on Ron Sardo's tutorial?

I had this idea for a little while. I don't know who Ron is, but I did see the idea done with a band saw by Chris Hendley. My band saw is just for cutting off stuff. I'm much better with the Scroll. Now I"m trying to come up with a firm yet very flexible material I can use so I can go "crazy" with tight curves and still use for an inlay/veneer.

Doug M Jones
01-09-2008, 7:10 AM
Jon,
Nice job. I saw a tutorial on this on I believe the International Association of Pen Turners forum which is at penturners.org. If you haven't been there, there is a wealth of information on pen specific issues.

I've got to try to push the envelope a little more.

again, very nice pen

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Jon that is a beauty. Well done.

Nancy Laird
01-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Now I"m trying to come up with a firm yet very flexible material I can use so I can go "crazy" with tight curves and still use for an inlay/veneer.

Jon, some of the turners at IAP and The Pen Shop are using slices of aluminum soda cans as their inlay, as it will give some really tight curves and twists. Just a thought.

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Beautifully done Jon! I'll keep that one in mind.

Tom Sherman
01-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Very nice Jon good lookin pen.

Ben Gastfriend
01-09-2008, 7:40 PM
Really nice pen! There is a comercially sold material that I've seen on Barry Gross's website, like a vynil or some type of plastic. If I can't post this website, I guess it'll be deleted, so do a google for Barry Gross:

www.bgartforms.com (http://www.bgartforms.com)

I'd be interesting to see the soda can inlay that Nancy spoke of... might have to beat ya to it!

Terry Quiram
01-09-2008, 8:56 PM
Jon

You could use colored construction paper for your layers. BTW, very nice pen.

Terry

Bill O'Conner
01-10-2008, 4:47 AM
the yellow and white for sale (rummage) from the hardware stores work well and are easy to turn

Bill