PDA

View Full Version : lumber gloat

Shannon Seelig
01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Hello to everyone.

I think I finally figured out how to post pictures.

I have wanted to tell you about my load of cherry lumber I bought from a retired carpenter/woodworker in Dec. This nice gentleman sold me a small amount rough lumber last summer to get me started on some small projects. We shared stories and I loved to listen to his tips and pointers. He had a large supply (approx. 300 to 400 bd ft.) of cherry lumber just sitting in his barn. The nice gentleman sold me his "seasoned" stash of 4/4 cherry for 300.00. I thought it was a deal I couldn't pass up even though I didn't know what I was going to do with all of it! One of the pictures show 2 boards that were recently planed up. He also gave me a board or two of ash and birch. To sweeten the deal, he gave me a jar of his home made maple syrup. :D

Dave Ray
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Some people have all the luck.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Good looking lumber. Congrats

Don Bullock
01-09-2008, 12:05 AM
... I thought it was a deal I couldn't pass up even though I didn't know what I was going to do with all of it! ... :D

I have some projects for it if you have difficulty coming up with some. I'll even pay for shipping.;):D

Congratulations on your new stash of cherry. I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

Mike Wilkins
01-09-2008, 9:36 AM
Great way to add some weight over the rear wheels for added traction in the snow. Great deal on the lumber. Now lets make some sawdust.

scott kinninger
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Congrats on the haul! Although since I went to high school in Shawano I'm not supposed to like you Clintonville Truckers;)

Reading about "lumber gloats" are my favorite posts.

Mark Blum
01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I thought it was a deal I couldn't pass up even though I didn't know what I was going to do with all of it!
I got a similar deal some years back on a load of air-dried cherry that a coworker found in his father's barn after his passing. I got the whole load for a lump sum that I later calculated to be about 1.00 a BF.

I took the opportunity to build an entire living room out of cherry, with a coffee table, sofa table, end table and large entertainment center armoire. I built them in the style of Thomas Moser's furniture and we've been enjoying them ever since. The cherry has deepened to a wonderful rich color.

Congrats on your gloat.

Jim Becker
01-09-2008, 10:10 AM
VERY nice! VERY gloat-worthy!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-09-2008, 8:40 PM
Fantastic deal!! Around here that might be called grand theft.;)

gary Zimmel
01-09-2008, 8:47 PM
Sweet deal...

Anything like that is hard to pass up. Whether one needs it or not.