PDA

View Full Version : Delta Uniguard

Dan O'Connor
01-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Locally someone has a uniguard for sale. Is that compatible with a beisemeyer fence and are any accessories needed? Any user opinions of the guard would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Becker
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes, it's quite compatible with a Biesemeyer or similar fence system. There are no accessories that I know of outside of it normally comes with a snap-in splitter compatible with the Delta RT cabinet saw and a few clones. The two downsides to the UniGuard are that it's not designed to help with dust collection and it's kinda fixed in place. You cannot easily remove it should you need to put something quite tall on your saw table. But it's a good guard from the protection standpoint of view.

Dan O'Connor
01-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks Jim, Sorry, I forgot to mention the saw in question is a unisaw. I saw a listing on ebay that had an adapter for biesemeyer fences so I thought I might have to buy something else. It isn't there now though.

John Gornall
01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
The Uniguard is not fixed in place and removes easily. There is one big knob that is loosened and then the entire guard pulls out of it's mount tube. Takes about 10 seconds. It is mounted in this tube which creates a telescoping situation which is how you adjust it's position side to side.

I added one to my Unisaw after many years with no guards and I'm quite satisfied with it - works with most cuts. As with any guard, it takes a bit of getting used to.

The splitter that comes with it is good - I had all ready been using the Delta splitter so I removed the pawls from the splitter that came with the Uniguard so I have the option of pawls or not.

Rick Whitehead
01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I have Uniguards on two saws- a Unisaw with a Biesmeyer and a Powermatic 66 with their version of the Biesmeyer fence. The Uniguard works well with both saws.l've had to remove the Uniguard may times on both saws, and it's a quick process, as John said.
I paticularly like the snap-in splitter. It, too, is easy to install and remove. And it works like a splitter should!
If the price is decent I'd have no hesitation about buying it.
Rick