PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry Bowl

Mike A. Smith
01-08-2008, 9:49 PM
This was my first shot at Mulberry. I spent a lot of time on the pictures but never could get the color right. This thing is yaller! (For the folks that live north of Dennis Peacock that means very, very, yellow.) It turned great but was a pain to sand; hard/soft/hard/soft... I ended up using sealer on it, the outside is like glass now, but you can still feel some ripples on the inside.

7 x 3.5 and just less than 1/4 thick. I really meant to leave it about 3/8 or more but had more warpage during drying than usual.

Comments, etc. are welcome. I think I would have preferred about 1/2 inch are so smaller on the foot.

Richard Madison
01-08-2008, 9:59 PM
It's pretty Mike. The wood grain manages to be very attractive despite being somewhat uneventful. Works for me.

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Great bowl Mike. Lots of grain in that one. Boy doesn't that stuff leave everything yeller?

laurie sullivan
01-08-2008, 10:47 PM
don't leave it in a sunny window if you want to keep it that beautiful yellow. I did now it's a coffee with cream brown.

It's a beautiful piece.

Laurie

Bob Hallowell
01-09-2008, 8:03 AM
Very nice but it reminds me of a song - Around and round the mulberry bowl the chisel chased the wood- ah maybe I remember it wrong:confused:

Bob

Raymond Overman
01-09-2008, 8:10 AM
Nice bowl Mike. I had a chance to turn some mulberry a while back too and have to agree with the hard/soft part. Like Laurie, mine lost a little of the yaller color too but made the grain more pronounced.

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2008, 9:11 AM
Nice looking bowl Mike! Love the grain and color! While I tend to agree with you that a slightly smaller foot would have 'raised' the profile of the bowl - it sits just fine as is! Nice work!

Jim Becker
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Mulberry and Osage are such wonderful looking species, especially for this kind of "bowl's bowl" form. The rich color (even when it changes over time) and the outstanding annular grain really work for this. Nice!

On the foot, I could go either way. Smaller would be more elegant and would likely be how I'd do it, but as current, it's a very stable base for a "user bowl".

robert hainstock
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
It seems the artist is most often his own severist critic. Thats a nice piece of work that any of us wouild have been proud to make. I often wonder what ourfreshly finished pieces will look like a year or two from now. That is and will be a nice bowl. congrats.:D:D
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice bowl Mike. I like the foot as is and there sure are a lot things going on in that grain!

Tom Sherman
01-09-2008, 11:30 AM
A very nice bowl Mike, looks just fine the way it is.

Glenn Hodges
01-09-2008, 2:25 PM
I sure do like that mullberry, Mike. Not as much around here as there was when I was a boy, thanks for letting me see it.

Ben Gastfriend
01-09-2008, 7:32 PM
Nice bowl! I agree with you, though, the base needs to be slightly smaller. Looks like you managed to get a good finish on it.

Hasn't Dennis Peacock become the staple of southern speak? He's taught me quite alot all y'all.

Mike A. Smith
01-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Ben, I'm from WAY down south. As far as we're concerned Dennis is just a yankee that doesn't have a terrible accent!:D:D