PDA

View Full Version : New tiger maple table

Grant Charlick
01-08-2008, 9:13 PM
new pics of table

Jim Becker
01-08-2008, 9:15 PM
Very interesting looking! How will you be using this piece?

Grant Charlick
01-08-2008, 9:24 PM
I'm only 22 but I have a huge passion for the art of wood. Just finished this table about a moth ago. Tiger maple with bloodwood accents. the legs have a bloodwood accent on the front and back and all three levels have bloodwood inlays. Don't mean to brag but I think it turned out good.

Ron Dunn
01-08-2008, 9:30 PM
Go ahead and brag. It looks good :)

John Keane
01-08-2008, 9:32 PM
It is a beautiful piece of craftsmansip. Congratulations.

Brian Brown
01-08-2008, 9:33 PM
Grant,

Brag all you want. You deserve it. That is stunning!

Matt Crew
01-08-2008, 9:36 PM
Outstanding work.
Is that your own design?

Grant Charlick
01-08-2008, 9:39 PM
Outstanding work.
Is that your own design?

Yes, I drew it and deigned it on graph paper and Things like the bloodwood accent usually evlove during the construction for me.

Bruce Page
01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Beautiful Table Grant. The photography almost looks CG to me. What did you use?

Grant Charlick
01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Beautiful Table Grant. The photography almost looks CG to me. What did you use?

Don't know what CG means, but my cousin came over and took them for me. He has a nikon, he tells me that he paid quite a bit for it.

Mike McCann
01-08-2008, 10:29 PM
great looking table. Nice design. What did you finish it with?

Grant Charlick
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
[quote=Mike McCann;740323]great looking table. Nice design. What did you finish it with?[/q

I used tung oil to really bring out the curl in the maple.

Bruce Page
01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Don't know what CG means, but my cousin came over and took them for me. He has a nikon, he tells me that he paid quite a bit for it.
Grant, CG means “computer generated” and I said that because it is difficult to keep the background and foreground in focus at the same time. Your cousin takes nice photos.
Beautiful table and great photography!

Dave Ray
01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Grant, you have the right to brag, that table is a beautiful piece of work.

Jon Bonham
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
How did you accomplish the curved edging?

Grant Charlick
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
How did you accomplish the curved edging?
wow that was a job in itself. Anyone who has ever worked with bloodwood knows how dense it is. After a couple of test runs and failure, I had to get innovative. I used a old 60 lb. plastic salt bag, and humidifier. I put the pieces of bloodwood in the bag and turned it opening down, making a sort of tent. Then I put the humidifier under it. ( kind of a poor mans steam bending setup). After the pieces marinated for about an hour fast hands and alot of clamps.

Dan Clark
01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Grant,

I envy you for two reasons. First, you have a lot of talent and it shows in that lovely table. Second, and more importantly, you've discovered a passion early in life. For many people, it doesn't come until later and sometimes never. You have the wonderful opportunity to explore your talent and passion for many years to come!

Congratulations,

Dan.

Don Bullock
01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
That's a beautiful table. The combination of wood choice and design is fantastic. You're not bragging, just presenting some of your craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Grant,

Very nice job! My fiance even said "Wow! Make me one of those." :D

Paul

gary Zimmel
01-09-2008, 1:17 AM
Grant,

Excellent looking piece. Great workmanship!
I think a little bragging rights are in order..

Bill Wyko
01-09-2008, 1:38 AM
Grant, all I can say is Fantastic!!! I look foreward to many years of you trying to top that one. You have your work cut out for you. That's one beautiful piece. I'll be stealing ideas from you youngster.:D I'll be twice your age on the 30th.

Grant Morris
01-09-2008, 1:46 AM
That is a magnificent piece of workmanship. I love your choices in wood and the finish is perfect. How thick is that maple, it's hard to tell by the pics?

Doug Shepard
01-09-2008, 5:37 AM
I love the table.

I'm only 22 but I have a huge passion for the art of wood....

Just be careful that passion doesn't get out of hand. With an address in Highland and your proximity to the wood candy store (Armstrong Millworks) you could find yourself with a 2-board-a-day habit in no time at all.:D

Chris Padilla
01-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Well executed design and nice job on the accents!

I must ask what the purpose or functionality of the table will be; how will it be displayed or used?

Alex Carrera
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm quite jealous. Fabulous work.

Bill White
01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
You guess it turned out good? That's an understatement if I ever heard one. I think it's GREAT.
Let's see more of your work.
Bill

David Tiell
01-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Beautiful!!

George Bregar
01-09-2008, 1:01 PM
Great work Grant. Great craftsmanship and design. Curious how you attached the top?

Jeffrey Makiel
01-09-2008, 1:05 PM
Nice work! Very custom and elogant.
-Jeff

Peter Quadarella
01-09-2008, 1:29 PM
That's a fantastic table; I'd love to make something that nice someday.

...and I said that because it is difficult to keep the background and foreground in focus at the same time.

Not hard, just need a high Fstop (small aperture) setting, which equates to enough light. May not be able to set that on all point and shoot cameras but easy on any SLR.

Greg Cole
01-09-2008, 3:40 PM
What they said... well done! I've attempted one cross grain inlay in a coffee table similar to yours on the table top, but I can't say as it came out quite as well with seasonal movment....
I too think it's great to get your hands into something at a young age.... something to keep your mind & body active.
At 22, my only real hobby was fishing unless bar hopping counts err counted...:rolleyes:

You should be proud.

Greg

scott spencer
01-09-2008, 3:45 PM
Beautiful choice of woods Grant, and super job on the inlay.

Charles Bruno
01-09-2008, 4:10 PM
WOW! Great job I really like the figure of the maple and the contrasting bloodwood.

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 4:47 PM
I love the table.

Just be careful that passion doesn't get out of hand. With an address in Highland and your proximity to the wood candy store (Armstrong Millworks) you could find yourself with a 2-board-a-day habit in no time at all.:D

Funny you should mention Armstrong millworks. They are great family friends, my dad actually worked for them in high school oh back say forever ago. I get most of my wood from there and they have been great friends and as far as I am concerned the best wood source as far as selection and quality.

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 4:51 PM
Well executed design and nice job on the accents!

I must ask what the purpose or functionality of the table will be; how will it be displayed or used?

The table is actually the size of an end table, and was intended to get used as that but never really got around to making another. Went on to new challenges, might get back to another some time.

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 4:53 PM
That is a magnificent piece of workmanship. I love your choices in wood and the finish is perfect. How thick is that maple, it's hard to tell by the pics?

The table top is about 7/8. And the shelves are about the same.

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 5:00 PM
Great work Grant. Great craftsmanship and design. Curious how you attached the top?

When I set out to build this table wood movement was a huge part of the design. First of all the levels grain direction is all in the same direction, ( of course not the inlay), so the table expands and contracts together if you will. The legs are attached to the top with mortise and tennon. because of the angled leg it only intersect the cross grain a small amount. the shelves are attached to the leg with what I would called a housed dowel joint. (kind of made the joint and name up both on the fly). The shelve is notched out and the dowell holds the leg to it. I strive in all of my work to use no mechanical fasteners. This one is one of the projects that I can truely say has none.

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 5:04 PM
Thanks for all the congrats on the table. It was a huge learning experience for me. I have doing finish ww for about a year and a half, but as usual once i get into something hold onto my ankles because I'm going in head first.

scott kinninger
01-09-2008, 6:22 PM
VERY beautiful piece of furniture you've made there!

I have to ask more about that finish though, in my experience tung oil turns maple to a light brownish yellow but it didnt seem to add any color to your wood(which I really like). Did you use raw tung oil or another "tung oil" finish?

Grant Charlick
01-09-2008, 6:26 PM
VERY beautiful piece of furniture you've made there!

I have to ask more about that finish though, in my experience tung oil turns maple to a light brownish yellow but it didnt seem to add any color to your wood(which I really like). Did you use raw tung oil or another "tung oil" finish?

Just regular tung oil. The curly maple had an exceptional white tone to it when I started though. The table has been out of sunlight for most of its life so darkening has be prolonged.

Mark Engel
01-09-2008, 6:44 PM
WOW.

That is a very beautiful piece. Very nicely done.

George Bregar
01-09-2008, 7:14 PM
When I set out to build this table wood movement was a huge part of the design. First of all the levels grain direction is all in the same direction, ( of course not the inlay), so the table expands and contracts together if you will. The legs are attached to the top with mortise and tennon. because of the angled leg it only intersect the cross grain a small amount. the shelves are attached to the leg with what I would called a housed dowel joint. (kind of made the joint and name up both on the fly). The shelve is notched out and the dowell holds the leg to it. I strive in all of my work to use no mechanical fasteners. This one is one of the projects that I can truely say has none. Cool...the advantage of using the shelves as the "rails" if you will. And technically, a dowel or tenon are mechanical fasteners, but I know what you mean. No screws! Again, great work. And while not to my taste, you have a good eye at design. Contemporary and unique pieces like this have a market.

David Schindeldecker
01-09-2008, 8:38 PM
Beautiful.

Fred Voorhees
01-09-2008, 8:47 PM
OK, your allowed in the club:D Welcome.