PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Bookshelves

Byron Trantham
02-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I finally finished the Kitchen Bookshelves. All that is left is placing the ton of cookbooks on the shelves. :mad:

Nathan Hoffman
02-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Beautiful! I love the idea and the execution!

John Miliunas
02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Bryon, I think it looks wonderful! Beautiful job. Pleasure to look at and functional, to boot! I note you say that you need to load up the books yet, though I see you've already been taken to task on the wine! :D Well, the way I see it, you deserve a bottle or two of that wine! :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Byron
Boy does the bookcase - vege bin- wine rack look really beautiful.
Excellent!
What finish did you use?
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Sweet! A multi-tasking piece of kitchen furniture...a beaut! :)

Todd Burch
02-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Byron, that looks great! Nice work on the low profile electrical outlet too! It fits that spot just perfect - what would otherwise be pretty much wasted, or really under-utilized, space.

Glenn Clabo
02-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Hey Byron...VERY nice! I love the veggie bin. Only thing is...I don't see any BoonesFarm in the wine rack. Getting upitty on us 60's generation folk?

Tyler Howell
02-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Very Nice Bryon.;)

Keith Starosta
02-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Byron,
I love the idea of the pull out drawers for dirt collection under the veggie bins. Quick and easy cleanup!! Very nice.

Keith

Bob Lasley
02-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Nice job Byron! The design is great. Functional and beautiful at the same time. Can't let the boss see this or I'll be remodeling the kitchen!

Bob

Rusty Hughes, Indy
02-27-2004, 1:21 PM
Very Well Done.

I will be saving a picture of this unit. Thanks for sharing with us.

Joe Bourbois
02-27-2004, 1:45 PM
Well done Byron. The vegetable bin and dirt drawer idea is fantastic.

Dave Richards
02-27-2004, 1:46 PM
Very nice. I wish I had room in my kitchen for something like that.

Donnie Raines
02-27-2004, 1:56 PM
Excellant design!...I wish I could be so creative.

DonnieR

Byron Trantham
02-27-2004, 2:23 PM
Well color me red! Thanks for the all the nice compliments.

The ideas was from the LOML. We made a design mistake. The vegi bins pull out independent of the dirt drawers which is what we thought we wanted until the first time we pulled it out. All the loose dirt falls on the floor! What should have been done is this; when you pull out the vegi bin, the dirt drawer should come with it to keep control of the dirt - well duh! However, the dirt drawer should come out independent of the bins for cleaning. I think I have come up with a solution for "the feature". I think I will attach a brass barrel slide lock vertically. The slide portion mounted to say the bottom right hand corner of the bin and the catch on the upper right hand corner of the dirt drawer. With the slide closed it will pull out the dirt drawer when the vegi bin is pulled out. To just pull out the dirt drawer, slide the barrel up to the "opened position."

The unit is made from solid Birch and Birch plywood. The finish is Early American Cherry, WB aniline dye, sealed with 2# cut shellac and top-coated with PSL lacquer.

Again thanks for looking. If you would like to see the construction pics, go to www.wooddreams.net/Kitchen_bookshelf.htm.

Byron Trantham
02-27-2004, 2:26 PM
Hey Byron...VERY nice! I love the veggie bin. Only thing is...I don't see any BoonesFarm in the wine rack. Getting upitty on us 60's generation folk?

Hey Dude! I AM the 60's generation... as of 9/14/04 :D

Besides, they're for show don't you know. ;)

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-27-2004, 2:30 PM
Could you "connect" the drawers from behind somehow so you could keep the fronts the way they are, not clutter up the design? Problem I see is the pullinig out of the dirt drawer seperately. There must be a way??

Just a thought.

Mac

Byron Trantham
02-27-2004, 2:44 PM
Could you "connect" the drawers from behind somehow so you could keep the fronts the way they are, not clutter up the design? Problem I see is the pullinig out of the dirt drawer seperately. There must be a way??

Just a thought.

Mac

Mac, yea I thought of that but it would be difficult to "release" the dirt drawer. With the barrel slide bolt idea the dirt drawer could be slid out but disengaging the barrel lock. Yoy would see the catch but being made of brass it might not look too bad. I'm still pondering the solution.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave Richards
02-27-2004, 2:49 PM
Byron, I took a look at your spice rack while I was on your site. That's also nicely executed as well. It looks like you have the free world supply of vanilla extract there. :D

Jason Tuinstra
02-27-2004, 2:56 PM
Byron, excellent design. I like how original this piece is. I'm sure your wife will put it to good use. The finish turned out great as well. Nice job.

Byron Trantham
02-27-2004, 3:04 PM
Byron, I took a look at your spice rack while I was on your site. That's also nicely executed as well. It looks like you have the free world supply of vanilla extract there. :D

Dave, the LOML doesn't do anything in a small way. :rolleyes: The spice rack really has turned out to be very functional. I think the new cabinet will be just as useful. She had cookbooks all over the house, now they will be in one location - where they should be - in the kitchen. ;)

Dick Parr
02-27-2004, 4:01 PM
Very nice Byron!

Dan Mackley
02-27-2004, 4:39 PM
Mac, yea I thought of that but it would be difficult to "release" the dirt drawer. With the barrel slide bolt idea the dirt drawer could be slid out but disengaging the barrel lock. Yoy would see the catch but being made of brass it might not look too bad. I'm still pondering the solution.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Byron, along the lines of what Mac said -- how about simple flat pieces of metal attached to the back of each the veggie drawers which hang down overlapping the back of the dirt drawers? Then, when you pull a veggie drawer out, the metal tab will make the dirt drawer come out, too. When you pull out a dirt drawer, the metal (unattached to the dirt drawer) doesn't move, so the veggie drawer doesn't come out. I wouldn't think you'd need much more than 1/8" clearance behind the drawers for this to work, and the little metal pieces would be pretty cheap at a big box or hardware store.

Beautiful design and execution, by the way!

Dan

Todd Burch
02-27-2004, 5:20 PM
To connect the two, in back, a piece of steel screwed to the back of the veggie bin, hanging down to the back of the dirt drawer. A powerful enough magnet on the back of the dirt drawer to release it, so it could be pull out separately.

This each, each time the veggie bin is pulled out, the dirt bin HAS to come out, and the magnet will hold the two together when pushed back in. Want the dirt drawer out by itself? Hold the veggie bin in with one hand and pull the drawer with the other. Might work.

I would draw a picture if I wasn't so pooped from spraying lacquer all day. 2 coats down, 1 to go.

(Or, what Dan said - just add magnets!)

Todd

Byron Trantham
02-27-2004, 7:00 PM
Dan and Todd - YOU GOT IT! There is about 1/2 clearance in the back so no problem. I'll tweak that tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Jim Becker
02-27-2004, 7:08 PM
Looks great, Byron. I really like the produce bins. Do be sure to guard against too much light on the wine in the rack, however. Strong light is not friendly to the fruit of the vine...

Jeff Skory
02-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Byron,

Very nice. I saw your first post and thought it was interesting but wasn't real sure about it. Now that you have that beautiful finish on it and have it loaded with some "stuff", it looks GREAT! Good job.

Byron Trantham
02-28-2004, 8:18 AM
Looks great, Byron. I really like the produce bins. Do be sure to guard against too much light on the wine in the rack, however. Strong light is not friendly to the fruit of the vine...

Oh contrare, depends on how long it sits there... ;)

Jim Becker
02-28-2004, 9:51 AM
Oh contrare, depends on how long it sits there... ;)

My thoughts exactly... :eek:

Mark Singer
02-28-2004, 9:57 AM
Byron,
Great design! Really seems to fit well. Very nice workmanship!

Charles McKinley
02-28-2004, 1:07 PM
Byron,

That is beatuiful! It is amazing the fine points that you don't discover until something is put into use. ;)