PDA

View Full Version : What's the largest bit diameter you use in your laminate timmer?

Paul Arnold
01-08-2008, 3:04 PM
Thinking about getting either the Colt or the PC310 and was wondering what's the biggest bit I would be able to safely use in one (w/ VS)? Can they cut with say a 3/4" straight or cove bit? What about something like a 3/8" round-over?

Naturally I understand that one wouldn't take a 3/4" wide bit a 1/2" deep with one pass, but would it take a 1/4" deep pass or would it be a better cut to take it in say 3 or more passes?

Main objective is to see just what is the largest bit you would be comfortable using one?

Thanks,
Paul

Julian Wong
01-08-2008, 5:52 PM
I have routed a 1/2" round over in 1 pass.
3/4" round over in 2 passes.

I don't think I would run a 3/4" straignt in single pass. Gets dangerous.

chris yount
01-08-2008, 8:15 PM
I've used 5/8 straight x5/8 deep in doug fir used 1/4 round over on pine and fir no problem.

Dave Falkenstein
01-08-2008, 8:36 PM
The hole in the base of the Bosch Colt is 1-1/2" in diameter, and the PC 310 has a 1-3/16" hole. Pat Warner's bases, drilled for PC collars, have 1-3/16" holes. I would feel comfortable operating either router at full speed with a bit up to just under the hole size in diameter, taking small cuts if that made sense to do. I have done roundovers with bits that just fit into the hole of the PC 310 with no problem. I'd be a bit more cautious using a larger diameter straight bit because of the amount of material it removes. Large diameter chamfer bits are no problem. Both of these small routers are surprisingly powerful. Be careful!

Paul Arnold
01-11-2008, 4:38 PM
Thanks for the input on this. I think I will give one a try.

Paul