PDA

View Full Version : Snap On Blue Point Combination Square

Bill Franklin
01-08-2008, 2:05 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Blue Point Combination Square sold by Snap On Tools? As good as Starrett?

Thanks, Bill

Jon Bonham
01-08-2008, 5:12 PM
Snap-On=Overpriced

Blue Point=Cheaply made and overpriced

This is coming from somebody with $40k in tools in a $10k box.

Mark Rios
01-08-2008, 6:57 PM
I've used Snap-On Tools since I was 12. Yes, they're expensive but, IMO, they're worth it. I used them in my day to day job and I now like the unequaled quality and reliability that they provide whenever I pull them out for a job or task. For the regular person, who may only use their hand tools a couple of times a month or less, yes there are other brands that will probably suffice just fine.

However, I don't use the Blue point brand. Their tolerances just aren't held to the same standards. If you're going to go Snap-On, go Snap-On and skip the Blue Point.

JMO

Bruce Page
01-08-2008, 7:15 PM
As good as Starrett?

No

Alan Trout
01-08-2008, 8:14 PM
Not sure about the Blue Point combination square. I have owned some Blue point tools that were pretty good like gasket punches etc. However far as Snap-On hand tools go they are the Northfield of hand tools. IMHO there is nothing better than a Snap-On Flank Drive Socket or wrench on the market. When I used wrenches for a living you could not get them out of my hands.

However I agree with Bruce just get a Starrett set. They for the most part are hard to beat. However I always found in precision measuring instruments that Mitutoyo was every bit as good a Starrett.

Good luck

Alan

Bruce Page
01-08-2008, 8:25 PM
I agree with Alan, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharp, Lufkin, Starrett, any of the big name tool manufactures (in machine shop circles), makes or made excellent combo squares. Some of my best rules are made by Lufkin.

Gary Keedwell
01-08-2008, 9:22 PM
I agree with Alan, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharp, Lufkin, Starrett, any of the big name tool manufactures (in machine shop circles), makes or made excellent combo squares. Some of my best rules are made by Lufkin.
Yep, all those that Bruce said...seen-used them all in machine shop and inspection (QC) .

Gary

Mark Rios
01-08-2008, 9:42 PM
Yeah, sorry Bruce and Gary, I should have been more clear. As far as the machinist tools, I can't compare them to the other fine tools that you folks mentioned. Just that the Blue Point brand wasn't quite up to par. I was meaning more along the tool lines that Alan mentioned, like the sockets and wrenches.

IMO, nothing, NOTHING, feels like a Snap-On wrench or ratchet handle in your hands when turning a nut or bolt. When you use them everyday, the become almost a part of your hand. Probably the same as some of the tools from the very fine tools that you machinists use in your daily job. You can pick it up blind-folded and know that you can do tricks with it every time and forever.

Jon Bonham
01-08-2008, 9:45 PM
Yeah, sorry Bruce and Gary, I should have been more clear. As far as the machinist tools, I can't compare them to the other fine tools that you folks mentioned. Just that the Blue Point brand wasn't quite up to par. I was meaning more along the tool lines that Alan mentioned, like the sockets and wrenches.

IMO, nothing, NOTHING, feels like a Snap-On wrench or ratchet handle in your hands when turning a nut or bolt. When you use them everyday, the become almost a part of your hand. Probably the same as some of the tools from the very fine tools that you machinists use in your daily job. You can pick it up blind-folded and know that you can do tricks with it every time and forever.

Alright, let's not get carried away, it's a wrench. ;)

Mark Rios
01-08-2008, 9:54 PM
Alright, let's not get carried away, it's a wrench. ;)

:D:D:D:D:D

Jon Bonham
01-08-2008, 10:01 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

You sound like my Snap-On dealer right about the time my truck account balance hits zero. :D

Bill Wyko
01-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I've been trying to hit zero for 14 years:eek: How'd you do it?:D

Mark Rios
01-08-2008, 10:10 PM
:D:D:D

When we had our bodyshops I looked forward to the truck coming by every week. $50,000 credit limit. :eek: It never got up quite that high but I know that bought at least three or four times that much over the years, especially with some of the big machines I bought for the shop. Aaaahhh, those were the days. :D:D:D

Jon Bonham
01-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I've been trying to hit zero for 14 years:eek: How'd you do it?:D

Opened a truck account on the Matco truck. :D J/K. My boss (now my main account as I'm a sub) was sponsored by Matco for 11 years, so "we" get $100,000 in tools a year for free.

John Newell
01-09-2008, 7:52 AM
Last I knew, Blue Point was not really Snap-on...more like "Companion" is to "Craftsman."