PDA

View Full Version : SEC Rules

Ken Salisbury
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Another college football season has come to an end and as usual the SEC rules again.

There are 12 teams in the SEC and 9 of them were in bowl games winning 7 of the 9 with LSU embarssing OSU just like Florida did. When will they learn to play Yankee teams which gives them some hope of victory:):D.

Al Wasser
01-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry, I thought you were referencing the Securities Exchange Commission. I don't follow semipro football

Nancy Laird
01-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Another college football season has come to an end and as usual the SEC rules again.

There are 12 teams in the SEC and 9 of them were in bowl games winning 7 of the 9 with LSU embarssing OSU just like Florida did. When will they learn to play Yankee teams which gives them some hope of victory:):D.

Yeah, Ken, And Tennessee was one, embarassing another Big Ten team - Wisconsin.

Nancy

Mike Marcade
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Geaux Tigers! :D:D:D

I was just so dissapointed in Arkansas losing to the Big 12. :mad:

Matt Mutus
01-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Sorry, I thought you were referencing the Securities Exchange Commission. I don't follow semipro football

Me too LOL :D

Joe Pelonio
01-08-2008, 1:20 PM
I just heard that starting in 2010 there will be a 4 team BCS playoff, the Big 10 and Pac 10 are the only conferences opposed but it's expected that they will eventually cave.

Larry Browning
01-08-2008, 2:20 PM
I just heard that starting in 2010 there will be a 4 team BCS playoff, the Big 10 and Pac 10 are the only conferences opposed but it's expected that they will eventually cave.
Where did you hear that? That would be a baby step in the right direction.

Here is what I think would fix all this BCS mess:

8 team playoff. Seeded like basketball.
5 Major conference winners from:
Big 10
Pac 10
Big 12
SEC
ACC
All conferences in the automatic bid would have to have a conference championship game.
3 at large teams.

1st round is played at highest seeded home stadium

2nd round is at some bowl

Championship game played at a pre selected site sort of like the super bowl.

AND no mention of BCS anywhere.

What do you think?

Joe Pelonio
01-08-2008, 2:29 PM
Where did you hear that? That would be a baby step in the right direction.

I heard it from Beano Cook, in a Seattle radio interview.

I like your idea but something that involved might take another 10 years to work out, there's just too much involved with scheduling fields, selling tickets, and TV contracts. As Beano said, the reason the superbowl is scheduled for nearly 2 weeks after the teams are determined is to have time to sell the tickets with the team names printed on them.

Thomas Knighton
01-08-2008, 2:29 PM
Yeah, Ken, And Tennessee was one, embarassing another Big Ten team - Wisconsin.

Nancy

And Georgia flat put a butt-whoopin' on previously undefeated Hawaii. Kind of wish we had gotten a piece of the Big Twelve too ;)

Tom

Jon Lanier
01-08-2008, 2:37 PM
I wouldn't consider that a blow out. OSU spotted them 14 points with shear stupidity. Outside those few mental errors and 14 points, the game was even. I'm tired of hearing how the SEC has better athletes. BULL. This game came down to just like many other major events, a few mental mistakes on one side or the other.

Look at the stats and the game was even, OSU just did a few really stupid errors and it cost them. LSU played the game of their life while OSU did not. Put that in your equations.

The other thing that is hard for ALL these teams is to play so late after their regular schedule. 50+ days lay off is hard for anyone. When OSU beat Miami for the NC I think it hurt Miami big time (the lay off). They can play these bowls much earlier... but money is such a big factor.

If they are going to do a play off, I wish they'd do it and do it early in the season and move on. Or just go back to the old system. Something we forget is that this is suppose to be College football. Not the minor leagues for the Pro's.

And while I'm ranting, don't kid yourself that these kids who leave early to the Pro's is about the $$$. No it is more about the Grades. They can't cut it or don't want to so they leave. Just about everyone for OSU Basketball last year who left early is because they were not going to have the grades to play College ball the following fall.

Okay... I'm done. Thank you for your patience. :o

Larry Browning
01-08-2008, 2:46 PM
I like your idea but something that involved might take another 10 years to work out, there's just too much involved with scheduling fields, selling tickets, and TV contracts. As Beano said, the reason the superbowl is scheduled for nearly 2 weeks after the teams are determined is to have time to sell the tickets with the team names printed on them.

Oh, something tells me, with the kind of money we are talking about here, the logistics could be worked out.

David G Baker
01-08-2008, 3:28 PM
Al,
Don't feel alone on the Security Exchange Commission. I couldn't make the tie in to SMC or anything related, but it is the off topic forum so I guess anything with in reason goes. You can probably tell that I am not much of a sports fan but am a fan of the SE Commission.

Ken Salisbury
01-08-2008, 4:31 PM
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

I wouldn't consider that a blow out. OSU spotted them 14 points with shear stupidity. Outside those few mental errors and 14 points, the game was even. I'm tired of hearing how the SEC has better athletes. BULL. This game came down to just like many other major events, a few mental mistakes on one side or the other.

And LSU made the mental mistake to give one long run to OSU in the entire first half. Then they made the mistake of scoring too many points without an answer.

The other thing that is hard for ALL these teams is to play so late after their regular schedule. 50+ days lay off is hard for anyone. When OSU beat Miami for the NC I think it hurt Miami big time (the lay off). They can play these bowls much earlier... but money is such a big factor.

Wasn't a factor in the game - both teams had same lay off

Okay... I'm done. Thank you for your patience. :o

Mike Marcade
01-08-2008, 4:32 PM
And Georgia flat put a butt-whoopin' on previously undefeated Hawaii. Kind of wish we had gotten a piece of the Big Twelve too ;)

Tom

I think Georgia would have put a whoopin' on anybody, including Ohio State and LSU. The game I wanted to really see was Georgia & USC for the National Championship. Even though I am a huge LSU fan, I don't think they are the best team in college football right now.

The layoff could have been more of a factor for Ohio State. They had a much longer layoff than LSU simply because of the SEC title game LSU played against Tennesee.

LSU letting the long run score wasn't exactly a mental mistake, it's just Craig Steltz is too slow. :D

Glenn Clabo
01-08-2008, 5:27 PM
Ya still got it Coach!;):D:D:D

Thomas Knighton
01-08-2008, 6:37 PM
I think Georgia would have put a whoopin' on anybody, including Ohio State and LSU. The game I wanted to really see was Georgia & USC for the National Championship. Even though I am a huge LSU fan, I don't think they are the best team in college football right now.

Honestly, if Georgia had won either the South Carolina or Tennessee games, half of that might well have happened. Georgia and USC were the two hottest teams in NCAA really, and it would have made for one heck of a great game.

Luckily for us Georgia fans, UGA is returning 17 starters to next season's team. This definitely bodes well for Georgia next season. That's good too, because Georgia has a tough schedule.

Ohio State is returning a lot of players next season too. Not sure about LSU or USC, but I figure they'll both be pretty tough.

Next season may be a wilder ride than this season!:eek:

Tom

John Daugherty
01-08-2008, 7:32 PM
LSU dominated THE Ohio State University. The score very easily could have been 38 to 10. One of OSU's scores came on an int. return and the last came with 1:13 left in the game. OSU is 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games.

I really think the time off helped LSU get several players healthy. Dorsey for one was playing about 70% at best the last of the season. Flynn didn't even play in the SEC championship game.

I don't think an eight team playoff will happen. I could see a plus one.