PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Chest with a twist

Chris Cordina
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
My sister wanted a jewelry chest like you find at Penny’s, the floor type that holds massive amounts. Well this is what I cooked up. I just did not want to build the usual so I thought what if I didn’t put sides or back or front or top on it, just four legs and drawers. Well after thinking about it for awhile I came up with this, I know it does have a top but I couldn’t get away without one. Its overall size is 42” tall 18” wide 14” deep. The legs are 1 X 11/4 and mortised into the top. The top 3 drawers are 1 5/8 and bottom 3 are 2 1/8 deep. Drawer fronts are cherry left natural. Top and legs are cherry stained bright cherry. Drawers and runners are maple left natural. The runners and groves are waxed but the rest has two coats of sprayed lacquer. I think the inspiration came from something I saw years ago but I can’t remember where or what it looked like just that it was missing parts. Well she said she liked it but some times family is kind.

Jim Becker
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
That's a really interesting design, Chris!!!

George Bregar
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Very cool and nice work, but if the rails that double as drawer runners are glued in you will likely have issues because the top is mortised to the legs and you have a cross grain issue. As the top expands and contracts across its width...front to back...the stretcher joints will fail, or the top will split. 14" of cherry can expand enough to cause problems.

A cool solution would be to use a sliding dovetail joint...glue the front and let the back simply slide. They would have to be very tight to prevent racking, but I think the number of them could do it. Of course, letting the top slide is also an option.

Chris Cordina
01-08-2008, 1:05 PM
Im usually verry carful about cross grain issues because I almost always work with solid wood, (I dislike plywood but it does have its uses) but you are correct. The inside between the legs is 8" so I can only hope the stress is not to great otherwise Ill be making a new stand with sliding rails for the drawers.