PDA

View Full Version : 3/4" birch plywood

Mike McCann
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I was just at my local Home Depot in Cincinnati and they had 3/4" birck plywood for 27 dollars. Thought that was a good price and wanted to pass it along.

Jamie Buxton
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Was it the multi-ply stuff? That is, are all the interior plies approximately the same thickness? Many people (including me) have had trouble with it. It warps and twists badly when you cut it.

Prashun Patel
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
HD has had 'cabinet grade' hardwood for $26 for a few months now. I've been able to find good wood in those piles that machines well and hasn't warped like mentioned above.

Rich Schneider
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I bought some multi-ply at our local equivalent of the orange box...it warped and twisted all to heck on me...very disappointed since I like to have a couple sheets around just for making jigs in the shop...I don't know what to make of it yet as to why it is warping, other than something is screwy with the layup of the layers..such as some of the core layers were'nt dry enough when manufactured and are shrinking or other strange thing....I went back to the big box to look at the rest of the sheets they had and I can now see that even in the stack some of them are developing a twist......have some other sheets of the mutli ply from a different source that are just fine.....this isn't the first time I'vef had problems with their plywoods..bought a stack of 1/4 AC plywood last year...as I was unbundling the stack I found that about one third of the sheets were delaminated...talk about angry...

Was it the multi-ply stuff? That is, are all the interior plies approximately the same thickness? Many people (including me) have had trouble with it. It warps and twists badly when you cut it.

Eric Gustafson
01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
HD has had 'cabinet grade' hardwood for $26 for a few months now. I've been able to find good wood in those piles that machines well and hasn't warped like mentioned above.

I have bought that plywood and have had varying results. I would only buy it for a project I could cut and assemble the same day. It is quite unpredictable, and can warp wildly. It might be suitable for shop cabinets, but I would rather use (gasp:eek:) mdf for that.

julie Graf
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
i've had no problems with the multi-ply or "Baltic Birch" plywood - but i don't buy it from a big box store. it has never warped on me.

i stay away from the "big box" stores for plywood.